Reputation roleplay is boring

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

Re: Reputation roleplay is boring

#41 Post by sun » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:33 am

krelji wrote:I disagree here. Correcting your reputation isn't an abuse of the system, but simply a method that needs to be available in order for chars to reach a certain reputation. Otherwise any action that would move the reputation towards your preferred reputation would have to be interpreted as an act of correcting it and would be an abuse of the limitations of the system.
You can "correct" your reputation/karma if that is in-line with what who your character is. But it is like with all other RP, either your actions are derived from your character's feelings/background and you play according to that, or your actions are a goal which the po has set, and then you run around "adjusting" everything by hacking monsters frenetically or donating lots of coins.

krelji
Hero

#42 Post by krelji » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:13 am

sun wrote:But it is like with all other RP, either your actions are derived from your character's feelings/background and you play according to that, or your actions are a goal which the po has set, and then you run around "adjusting" everything by hacking monsters frenetically or donating lots of coins.
My chars actions are derived by other things than his feelings or his background,
but this doesn't mean that the actions of my char are oocly motivated. Whatever
he's doing, he usually got a good IC reason for it.
Deciding which skills my char wants to train, and when he wants to train them is
usually oocly motivated, but that's mainly due to the fact that it's easier to keep
track of my skills than my char ever could. But even then he's training those skills
in an ICly acceptable way.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Herst
Master

#43 Post by Herst » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:33 am

If I pay beggar 50 times to say something good about me, I don't call it abuse.

I call it a bribe! :D

As well as their are laws governing bribery IC, aren't there?

*cough*cough*

This can be handled with a bit of IC drama!

Delia
Overlord

#44 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 am

If the beggar does it why does not the judge can?

Therefore...
How about if the judge could make proclamations/declarations/whatever that would affect a person's reputation? -> A notorious outlaw's head is presented and the slayer is declared hero of the day! Beer flows and the people are happy. Of course such declarations should be logged for the wizzes to monitor from time to time and there should be some leeway for corruption as well. After all, why should Volog get all the coins?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Olrane
Champion

#45 Post by Olrane » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:00 pm

I actually really like that idea Delia. I'm just too worried about abuse. An Asral cleric judge could pad the reputation of his Asral friends in Arborea for instance, or a Tanielite in Elvandar. Of course I don't mind nefarious scheming, but I'm biased.

If it's overseen by wizards, it should be fine enough. If it can be, I don't see any problem with judges being able to make proclamations in response to great deeds of good or ill that may affect reputation.

Delmon
Champion

#46 Post by Delmon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm just too worried about abuse
Abuse is a good way to make rp conflict

Olrane
Champion

#47 Post by Olrane » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:58 am

When abuse means scheming and interesting plot twists, it's fun. When abuse amounts to something being overpowered, it's fun for no one. I just think that with all the importance reputation has had in these recent months, any person with control over it in any fashion will have the keys to power.

Maybe I worry too much. I just don't think the good outweighs the potential bad. Karma is there to balance out reputation fakers - but unless wizards would intervene, corruption would have no impact on karma. And this could lead to an impervious, saintly-regarded Inquisition.

stilgar
Champion

#48 Post by stilgar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm

I think 'turning in heads' or 'scalps' of insects or undead should obviously raise the reputation in cities as the slayer of these creatures is obviously did good for the city. the amount of reputation gain could be equal a gold coin donation for the poor, so would not turn someone accepted in a glimpse, but would make him/her reputation improve as a representation he did some good for defending the community.

Right now no matter how hard someone tries to save the city or its guards his efforts are not rewarded at all.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Delia
Overlord

#49 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Hear hear!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Abharsair
Site Admin

#50 Post by Abharsair » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:51 am

stilgar wrote:I think 'turning in heads' or 'scalps' of insects or undead should obviously raise the reputation in cities as the slayer of these creatures is obviously did good for the city. the amount of reputation gain could be equal a gold coin donation for the poor, so would not turn someone accepted in a glimpse, but would make him/her reputation improve as a representation he did some good for defending the community.

Right now no matter how hard someone tries to save the city or its guards his efforts are not rewarded at all.
Gaining reputation in Arborea for killing insects is actually a good idea. I'll add that if it hasn't been added yet.

As for undeads, most of them already raise your reputation in most areas. Naturally not in Ironhold, though.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

stilgar
Champion

#51 Post by stilgar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:59 pm

A few thoughts on the current reputation system.

Currently arborea is constantly under attack by Sathos. If you fight an undead you will most likely get infected, if you do it inside the city, you're almost surely ruined your reputation while fighting for the city. No problem, life is hard. Time to do some reputation roleplay, means you hunt for money or heads (if you follow Asral at all) and have your repairs done in another city, while you can't do it in Arborea. Takes you a few days to reach the level when you can have your things repaired (at least neutral). Though, there is an attack almost every day.

No problem, you get cure disease potions and use them. (30gc from a shop, or you seek out alchenists and buy or exchange from them) So you kill some more to earn enough money for your expenses.

Question: when you have the time to log and maybe do something else then trying to raise your reputation enough to gain entry to the city you're supposed to defend? The above procedures almost fill your entire playtime if you can't play all day, but log only for one or two hours a day most of which is about destroying the undead placed on the road?

Note: No whining, simple thoughts.

Herst
Master

#52 Post by Herst » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Solution:

Pummel the Sathos into submission and refuse to stop until they agree to stop attacking Arborea.

Or........hand Arborea over to them.

tessa
Overlord

#53 Post by tessa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 pm

It seems a little harsh if weakness disease gives bad reputation, since it's not contagious at all. Nor does it make a person stinky or rotten or anything, so it's not really unpleasant for anyone but the infected person.

Plague is understandable, but I've never noticed any painful drop of reputation if I go to some isolated place in the wilderness to wait it out. But I don't get plague with much frequency at all, so perhaps that's why it never really hurts my reputation.

ganandorf
Overlord

#54 Post by ganandorf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Agree with tessa and Stilgar,
Plague should obviously drop reputation.
Weakness should not even though it makes you look like a fool :D
Meow

Yoda
Wizard

#55 Post by Yoda » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 pm

weakness does not lower reputation. plague does if you give it to others.

stilgar
Champion

#56 Post by stilgar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:53 pm

In my experience it did. Never visited the Town while plagued, once got it, but waited for it to pass in the sewers

Abharsair
Site Admin

#57 Post by Abharsair » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:27 pm

stilgar wrote:In my experience it did. Never visited the Town while plagued, once got it, but waited for it to pass in the sewers
Your reputation only suffers if you infect others with a disease. The Satho weakness isn't contagious, though.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

stilgar
Champion

#58 Post by stilgar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 am

I must have missed something then