Asral

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Asral

#1 Post by Delia » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:51 pm

Alright, let us forget all the war, death and destruction for a moment, shall we?
If all the followers were actively pursuing war, death and destruction what would Arborea really be like? Surely the common human follower only wishes for continuance of his/her species. As Asral "kidnapped" the humans from Sathonys effectively gaining the race as his(Asrals's)very own power the is bound to be some antagonism between the two deities.

OK, so still Asral is the god of war, destruction and all that fluff...but what does the average follower think of all that? We as players see the aspects and stuff. But should we focuse more on what kind of powers the chosen of Asral or him himself has? Asrals controls fire, something that is a major contribution when dealing with the fertility of the land. Asral can control lightning(AKA -> storms -> AKA weather) something the common(all the NOT-fanatic)folk should be quite wary of. Heck, if there was a god who had any choice about the weather I'd be really careful around him/her/whatever.

Posting this, I cannot say I have been in full control of my mental faculties but this has been something I have been troubling myself with. Sure, Asral comes off as some Crom from Conan mythos or the proverbial Viking god, but still...I think there is a great space of room for the symbolism of the common folk.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

Re: Asral

#2 Post by luminier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Well you have to think that the common follower in Arborea just respects Asral and gets on with their daily lives. They probably are thankful for Asral helping them against the insects and for taking them in from Sathonys after being freed. But I agree that not all the followers are destruction and war wanting people. But the Clerics... shouldn't they be?

Look at the Crusaders, they favour righteousness, justice, and destruction fo evil.
Taniel Clergy, Order, light, justice.
Druids, life, nature, peaceful coexistance.

The Warclerics should have the same ideals of their own that coincide with their God. Imo.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Yes, the clerics should be the "voice" of god...but that is not what was ultimately meant here. It could be said that ALL the Arboreans were warmongering fanatics as per "death, war and destruction"...But where this said thinking would put them as a society?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Well thats my point. They aren't that way. They aren't the ones that are suppose to be the warmongering super fanatics. Thats the Clerics job. And as I said, not just Asrals either, it goes for everyone.

Zekiel
Experienced

#5 Post by Zekiel » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Are Asral Clergymen really that warmongerish?

They -should- be if they uphold their lord's virtues etc. Still, there's another thread saying how they really aren't all that into warmongering 'cause of their lack of team combat capabilities.

Ignoring their limitations, and thinking only of their Roleplay, I actually think even clergymen aren't per se agressive. They shouldn't shun from a fight, and enjoy fighting wholeheartedly, but even Vikings worshipping Odin (the god I feel Asral was inspired by) thought of fighting of something sacred, a way of getting closer to their god.

As such, fighting for Asralites, both clergy and other devouted, is a holy experience and shouldn't be wasted on the unworthy, I think... (Of course that's mostly based on the assumption he's Odin-like. Ignore this post if he's not.)

Olrane
Champion

#6 Post by Olrane » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Actually, that's how I interpret Asral as well. He is not a god of destroying the weak, but one who favors his followers who take on impossible odds and still triumph in battle. At least he wants an equal match, but certainly frowns on any combat that doesn't get the adrenaline pumping through the veins of his followers.

isengoo
Champion

#7 Post by isengoo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Asrals

=

ganandorf
Overlord

#8 Post by ganandorf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Haha nice.
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 pm

From the lore I've seen behind Asral, as well as his general aspects and perspective of things, he's heavily inspired by Odin and Norse mythology.

Andreati
Master

#10 Post by Andreati » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:33 pm

You see all that snow? Those are the northern Asralites.

I see Asral as a mix of Odin and Thor, but not Aries/Mars. As far as I can tell, the Asral followers on the tundra are pretty similar to vikings, so the Norse god influence makes sense there. He values fighting, but not a pointless war. Honour, loyalty and courage seem, to me, to be values he would stand by.

Obviously, he will approve of fighting worthy and challenging opponents, and disapprove of crushing the weak, as there is no glory in stomping on ants. Cowards and those who flee battle, as said in the speech, "The Lord will turn his back upon them!...And those who withdraw and recant will be punished..."
As Asral "kidnapped" the humans from Sathonys effectively gaining the race as his(Asrals's)very own power the is bound to be some antagonism between the two deities.
I definitely agree with this, there should certainly be animosity between Asralites and Sathonites, and I have certainly seen some lately.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Not just the viking aspects of the northern barbarians, but also general concept of Asral: Asral's Halls are similar to Valhalla while the fallen that are sacrificed are similar to Einherjar. The Asral Clerics themselves could somewhat be similar to Valkyries (though only Andy really fits the ticket), by guiding the Einherjar to Valhalla (I assume Asral's Halls would be especially similar to this if he maintains the aspect of raising a spirit army for Ragnarok (or when Asral battles the other gods for superiority, in GEAS equivalence)).

Along these lines, Gwen and her resting place could almost be similar to Freyja and Fólkvangr, except Gwen isn't a battle maiden of Asral. But I think she's more similar to Aphrodite of Greek mythology, anyway.

luminier
Overlord

#12 Post by luminier » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 am

I Believe Aries is a Ram Constellation Andy, Ares is probably the God you are looking for, I could be wrong, but well thats life.

Anyways I always thought of Asral as Ares GREEK GOD OF WARRRRR!.

tessa
Overlord

#13 Post by tessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:20 am

Asral might have appeared more Greek in the Legion era.

*pictures the 'this is madness/sparta(arborea)' line being shouted amidst an insect battle*

ganandorf
Overlord

#14 Post by ganandorf » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:21 am

If anyone were to pull that off successfully
I would bow down
Meow

Zekiel
Experienced

#15 Post by Zekiel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:16 am

Ok. So let me drag this back to topic.

Asrals - Warmongerers or not?

Based on personal views and the replies people are throwing around this thread, I'd have to say Warriors, not Warmongerers. I'd almost think towards Knights when I ask myself what virtues they uphold.

Of course they're a tad more agressive than your average law abiding thick-armed stone-faced male human I-Call-Tshaharks-Frogs folk, but that's only cause they honour their god by thriving in battle. I see them as the type that likes (read: prefers/loves/shall always strive) to solve things with a fair fight.

So, regardless of what God Asral was meant to resemble, how should his following think and act in your points of view?