Arborea - land of standing targets

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Herst
Master

Re: Arborea - land of standing targets

#21 Post by Herst » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Gwen Shrine - I prefer to hear hundreds of women screaming instead of just one. As well as the last time it was attacked, no one cared or even said anything about it.

Evren Shrine - The NPC animals defending it are smarter than the players defending Arborea, so attacking Arborea is much safer.

Arborea - See above.

luminier
Overlord

#22 Post by luminier » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:22 pm

Yes, I too think the Gwen shrine should be filled with Women and made somewhat larger. Roleplaying killing imaginary npc's just wouldn't have the same bloodthirsty effect. The people want blood, corpses, and limbs. Lets give it to them. And by lets I mean the wizards give them to the players. =)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

stilgar
Champion

#23 Post by stilgar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Herst wrote:Gwen Shrine - I prefer to hear hundreds of women screaming instead of just one. As well as the last time it was attacked, no one cared or even said anything about it.

Evren Shrine - The NPC animals defending it are smarter than the players defending Arborea, so attacking Arborea is much safer.

Arborea - See above.
tessa wrote:Probably because neither are a challenge to destroy and no one cares about them.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Herst
Master

#24 Post by Herst » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 pm

I believe you missed the point of my note. I will clarify it a bit more. The reasoning behind it at least.

Gwennie Priestess is dead.

XYZ says in Common : Who cares? Lets hunt trolls.

Dead animals everywhere.

XYZ says in Common: Who cares, Lets kill some ogres!

So, to get their attention you have to focus elsewhere.

stilgar
Champion

#25 Post by stilgar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:56 pm

add-on: Let me design the defence of Arbroea for you, and see if you could get in :twisted:

6 torches on walls lighted. Two armoured guards with big shield, defensive mood 3 lamps on each, lighted upon attack. Two caster backrow, offensive casting 3 lamps on each lighted upon attack. Two archers shooting through loophole, focused fire upon order.

First signs of attack, drawbridge up, two additional archers arrive to gate 3 lamps on each, lighted, focused fire on order. Two additional archers to loopholes, focused fire on order. They attack a single person coordinatedly, backrow casters first. :twisted:

Good luck :twisted:

We both know the game was designed for fun, not for impossible challenges. The tactics I wrote down should be both obvious and logical after a few hundred years of constant attacks, but it would spoil your fun. So I guess you have fun raiding Arborea or any other place you are capable to raid. :wink:

stilgar
Champion

#26 Post by stilgar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Herst wrote:I believe you missed the point of my note. I will clarify it a bit more. The reasoning behind it at least.

Gwennie Priestess is dead.

XYZ says in Common : Who cares? Lets hunt trolls.

Dead animals everywhere.

XYZ says in Common: Who cares, Lets kill some ogres!

So, to get their attention you have to focus elsewhere.
You want to challenge Asrals or you want to challenge players? Need attention? Go, raid Elvandar?

Delmon
Champion

#27 Post by Delmon » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:19 pm

It'd be nice to know what the wizards think about making arborea stronger...

ganandorf
Overlord

#28 Post by ganandorf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:20 pm

It's been "fixed"
Meow

stilgar
Champion

#29 Post by stilgar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:26 am

Whoever did it , Praise! Praise!

But really, we mostly ask for things and only a few times we say thank you. Its time to do it :wink:

luminier
Overlord

#30 Post by luminier » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 am

ya from what i heard, many a human was killed. thats a good thing to hear.

stilgar
Champion

#31 Post by stilgar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:37 am

taken from an other topic:
tessa wrote:at failing at (mud)life, sure.
my favourite part of this topic:
Herst wrote:Gwen Shrine - I prefer to hear hundreds of women screaming instead of just one. As well as the last time it was attacked, no one cared or even said anything about it.

Who is failing? where? :twisted: If Sathos have to attack Arborea to get the much needed attention and the amount of challenge they can handle as they don't get it anywhere else I think its NOT Asralite failure :wink:

Indeed, means the failure of both the crusade AND the sathos. Sathos are seemingly not skilled enough (or unable to do it efficiently?) to challenge Elvandar and the Taniel&Crussie branch and as already explained above its a LOT easier for them to pick on those are not designed against them. (maybe they are bored of placing their undead on the road where easily destroyed by NPC patrollers without player effort?)

I see no problem with that, but if you want to search for the reasons, search here. Trust me, the moment Asrals could be at least as efficient against undead as Taniels can be you had no reason to say "failure".

At the moment it may seem its Asralite failure but remember: easy to keep peace where is no war :wink: Would be an insteresting idea for Sathos to try to replace thilden guards to undead, add some extra guards to orc tower rooms and populate the road with undead the same frequency as they place undead around Arborea, then ask again who fail in what :twisted:

Christmas wish: would like to see a logged revenant+two giant ghouls vs the elven patrol fight :twisted:

ps: Tessa: you are free to play an Asral and show to the rest how things should be :wink:

Herst
Master

#32 Post by Herst » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:50 am

Perhaps you should find out IC why the Sathos keep attacking Arborea, or the Asral Clergy and not actively trying to wage war against Elvandar. The reasons have been mentioned IC, but as others have pointed out in this thread, the Asralites have a very poor way of passing on information.

After it is repeated so many times, people may get annoyed at the lack of communication that has been shown by their enemies, and just result to continuing to do what they were doing until their enemies remember.

The reasons may be as simple as the same reasons the Taniels are not trying to raid Asador all the time.

You should be careful at what you call a failure, the real failures are made by those that treat the IC situation as annoying, and giggle and snicker and ignore it, instead of treating it as the serious threat it is.

stilgar
Champion

#33 Post by stilgar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 am

Simply "not trying to raid Asador all the time" differs greatly from the current situation and changes not a single letter I wrote down :wink:

About IC information passing and stuff I would simply not go into that. Don't think anyone should be blamed for things that not passed to him/her no matter how hard he/she try to acquire them thus reacts on happenings the way he/she reacts :wink:

I do not blame any Taniel, Crussie or Satho to play the way they play. My big problem here is having people complain from the outside about how things should be done in this conflict while they simply don't participate just (try to) somehow seem they always know things better then anyone else involved :wink:

tessa
Overlord

#34 Post by tessa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:21 am

Way to get offended and critical over a joke that meant nothing.

My guess for Sathos attacking Asrals right now is not for a challenge, but for the sake of keeping conflict between the three major faiths ongoing rather than letting the old situation of "taniels and sathos fight, asrals sit on sidelines watching" continue. They aren't attacking Elvandar, but the Clerics and Crusaders have been going out and engaging the Sathos without provocation, too. Had Arborea or the Asrals never been touched by the Sathos, I'm willing to bet you they'd've never cared what was going on between Sathos and Taniels as long as they were left out of it.

And yes, I've tried playing an Asral before, three times already. I lost interest each time due to RP never advancing past "getting stronger" or "lets go kill <insert monster mob here>". Each time I tried to learn more about Asral or his Clergy, my questions were either shrugged away, derailed with a hunting invitation, or told there's no reason to serve Asral other than to gain power, or get drunk and kill stuff for the sake of killing stuff. I've always found the depth in Taniel and Sathonys RP more attention-grabbing. To each his own, I suppose.

luminier
Overlord

#35 Post by luminier » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:24 am

I tried playing an Asral myself and found much the same. It's just boring/10. Some people were actually good which suprised me. Jaq comes to mind. But thats about it to be honest. Other people are either never around enough, or what Tessa said.

Herst
Master

#36 Post by Herst » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 am

Well, I won't explain all the reasons here but there are plenty of them ;)

I also won't argue that trying to attack Elvandar is way to risky and is not something easily accomplished. With 1, sometimes 2, maybe 3, and if you are lucky 4 active members vs the mud, it can get rough. We have plenty of resources available, but so do our enemies. Usually when trying to prepare an ambush, or even navigate the land they show up, so it is hard enough preparing to fight them.

The last time I even tried to walk through Elvandar I was quickly killed by a team of 4 when I was alone, who then looted me and told me I could not have my things back if I did not stay out of Elvandar for 1 year. I had absolutely no chance at all, and all the advantages were on their side. Being outnumbered 4 to 1 is no fun, especially when they just laugh, loot and walk away.

Sometimes you have to understand when you are beaten and surrender and move on to something else for a short time.

Also, lets not forget the Asrals completely ignoring the Sathonites, disrespecting them, and refusing to talk to them because they were too busy killing ogres (not an exaggeration) We tried to interact with them, they just left the room and attacked an ogre. We tried again, they did the same. We raised some undeads, they walked by them and laughed at them and treated them like a joke and left to go hunt trolls while saying "there so dum, undeds r stooped" That hurt our feelings :(

ganandorf
Overlord

#37 Post by ganandorf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:43 am

Why Should the sathos attack taniel?
Evren is the archnemesis of Sathonys and we do our damage on her by killing her peaceful creatures.

After evren Sathonys' second greatest enemy is Asral NOT Taniel. Asral is the one that stole the humans from Sathonys or whatever the correct term is not Taniel.

In Fact, We SHOULD be attacking arborea over and over and over again. And leave elvandar be. Instead of attacking elvandar, and leaving asrals be.
Meow

Yoda
Wizard

#38 Post by Yoda » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 am

Humans taste better.

ganandorf
Overlord

#39 Post by ganandorf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 am

Not true. Elven meat is much more tender and lean, Human meat is rough and fatty.
Meow

Yoda
Wizard

#40 Post by Yoda » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:49 am

*makes a horizontal hand gesture*

These are not the elves you are looking for.