Roleplaying crafts

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

stilgar
Champion

Roleplaying crafts

#1 Post by stilgar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 am

What if the alchemists being able to mix dye or paint (making clothing easier for those who like certain colours?), maybe change solely on higher levels(!) copper, tin or iron to silver and gold? Slightly improve the quality of some common items? Maybe extract elixirs from garlic to slightly(!!!!) improve the efficiency of common weapons against undead (meanwhile damaging the weapon in the process)?

Some similar ideas could occur to tanners. Right now they can only create raw material for scribes. What if they could slightly(!!) reinforce leather armours (which of course would make them provide better protection but would make sneaking harder in them)? Maybe would be able to create basic armours too with the standard descriptions?

These effects would not affect much the game balance, but would surely add a taste to the game.

Some sudden, random thoughts.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

tessa
Overlord

Re: Roleplaying crafts

#2 Post by tessa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:46 am

I've always thought about dyes or paints being creatable with herb squeezers found in various craft guilds (if herb squeezers the items used, then I could see alchemists getting one too if they lack one). It would be a neat addition, though sadly one probably far off. But the ideas really sound fun, I think the expansion and addition of crafts would really help give the mud nice diversity. Perhaps these are things that could be taken into consideration when leathermaking, woodworking, and smithing are expanded on.

krelji
Hero

#3 Post by krelji » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 am

Alchemists don't have a herbsqueezer, but we don't need those. Alchemists won't
be the right target for the dyeing business anyway. Expanding the existing craft
guilds might sound interesting, but I'd rather see new ones being added. I am not
sure though if this would convince more chars to learn one of the available crafts,
and without chars who actually join the craft guild it won't make much sense to add
those.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:04 am

I think what helps the craft guilds is if they have a use that appeals to people. Gem cutting is often liked due to the profits. Tanners may become more likable when leathermaking is expanded. Trappers may become more likable when they're more than just a net-and-trap store.

Parchmentmakers and bookbinders may forever be dependent on the Scribes guild, but perhaps people would like them more if there were more places to write books and make ink. I'd also enjoy seeing parchments take on the same function as 'pieces of paper', and remove the latter from the game.

krelji
Hero

#5 Post by krelji » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:29 am

tessa wrote:I think what helps the craft guilds is if they have a use that appeals to people. Gem cutting is often liked due to the profits. Tanners may become more likable when leathermaking is expanded. Trappers may become more likable when they're more than just a net-and-trap store.
I'm not sure about that, but perhaps I'm wrong there.
tessa wrote:Parchmentmakers and bookbinders may forever be dependent on the Scribes guild, but perhaps people would like them more if there were more places to write books and make ink. I'd also enjoy seeing parchments take on the same function as 'pieces of paper', and remove the latter from the game.
Removing the pieces of paper from the game, and using parchments instead sounds
like a good idea to me. I think it would be nice to be able to write books at more
places than the existing libraries, and we could restrict learnbooks to the existing
libraries where you can write books.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Herst
Master

#6 Post by Herst » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:02 am

I would love the ability to make a nice elf-skin thong.

Preferably from female elf skin. It is the softest.

Seriously though:

Woodworking - Ability to craft wooden weapons, shields, and arrows to practice with. They may break easily, but at least you can customize them for a bit of flare. This would also get people interested in the other woodworking options such as making trinkets and what not....like wooden Phoenixes (for the Asrals) wooden dolls (for the halflings) wooden stuff for other people.......

Gem cutting + Jewelry crafting -being able to craft your own rings and necklaces from raw materials with the correct tools. Also being able to alter the appearance of a necklace or ring etc.... that you just purchased.

Tanning - Making various leather items from skins. I really like the idea of being able to wear your enemy after you skin him ;)

Just a few thoughts.

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am

Herst in a banana hammock? I think I just died a litt---, scratch that, alot inside.

On the topic of trappers, it should be more encompasing other than just set traps. What about disarming? finding? I mean yes the guild is primarily for getting animals in a trap. But lets be honest here.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

#8 Post by Olrane » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:18 am

luminier wrote: On the topic of trappers, it should be more encompasing other than just set traps. What about disarming? finding? I mean yes the guild is primarily for getting animals in a trap. But lets be honest here.
They really aren't all too similar in the context of the game. For one thing, traps to find/remove are very rare in the game, and the current system of environment traps does not in any way interact with the animal traps at the Trapper's Guild. Finding and removing traps to navigate a tomb or some such is more a thief skill than a Trapper's Guild skill. I just don't see animal trackers and trappers on the same level as careful tomb raiders.

Delia
Overlord

#9 Post by Delia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 am

After giving this some thought I have to agree with Olrane. Find/remove traps refers from simple to complex mechanical devices usually carefully hidden in unusual places.

Animal traps on the other hand usually require little hiding when used against animals nor do they require complex disarming procedures. One just more or less triggers the trap and that is it. Against intelligent beings animal traps require careful hiding(as per hide skill) and using terrain to one's advanatage. Search command should suffice when finding traps such as these. Perhaps terrain lore could help when dealing with/against animal traps if it does not already?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am

I guess I forgot to post, but with Olranes perspective, I am inclined to agree with him. It makes sense that finding and removing traps would take more specialized skill, and that it would be more of a "tomb raider" kind of thing. Simply setting a trap requires next to nothing, but both finding and disarming traps like darts or arrows or pit falls, would/should be significantly more difficult. Trappers I suppose is fine the way it is, but as it stands it is not really something "worth" joining, in my opinion... but perhaps other people have opinions on it also.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.