Conflict is good

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Conflict is good

#1 Post by Delmon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:05 pm

Conflict drives the geas world. It causes people to want to play. Some of the best conflict has been caused by the evils. They have their own city and guild and promote a very different worldview than goodies. But what happens when they take a break?

We are left with mushy rp.

So I wonder, where is the next conflict going to emerge, and when?

Are the asrals going to break the bonds with the goodies and take back arborea for their own?
Are the druids going to emerge as warriors, or will the crusaders become radical once more?

What geas needs is another axstream asral, a cemoch, a lilithian like the original kaspars, a Naga with his oratory wonder, or another group of thieves with a leader like gen. I'd like to see luminier as an evil, and watch Andy attack the elvandar patrol then drag some poor young shao off into the forest.

Delia
Overlord

Re: Conflict is good

#2 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 am

The practicing mages of Forostar could always start making some experiments of dubious nature...though...who is there to say they might not do so already! :twisted:

I think there could be a lot of things where conflict could spring from, most of it is just hidden in the dark.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Desiderea
Master

#3 Post by Desiderea » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 am

To be honest, I've yet to see any evil people... I guess that could be a good thing? But, as a newbie, you start off in good areas, and everyone I've met is good. So... how do you become involved with the evil folk? I've actually always played Desiderea as a necromancer... *inno* But, she doesn't seem destined for that path when everyone's told her how bad evil people are with their nasty undeads, and goblins and orcs always attack me, so I don't like them. And I'm kind of scared of exploring evil areas cause I went to check out Ironhold and got slaughtered by a troll... >_<

I suppose it would be best to become more experienced with the game before trying to play a character who will likely be hunted by most of the realms. Currently, I'm not even sure what all guilds and such are out there... Are there craft and layman guilds for evil folk? I've seen some evil options on quests, but most involve helping people.

It would be nice to see some more variety too, apart from just the Sathonys=bad, most other gods=good. That's the largest conflict I've seen thus far. Being a scribe requires adhering to the laws and being a "good" person. Can't there be some not-so-nice mages out there too? :)

Also, just a question, I've heard of there being clerics of Taniel, Asral, and Sathonys. Can one become a cleric of the other gods, or are those the only ones available currently? Are there plans to have clerics of other gods in the future? Some more conflict between followers of different gods might be nice. Even the followers of good gods might not be too keen on one another.

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:58 am

Being a scribe requires adhering to the laws and being a "good" person. Can't there be some not-so-nice mages out there too?
Not necessarily, it is more a question of leadership and of course, the laws of the city the scribes reside at(which always can be ignored for the "greater good").

It is true it is highly advisable to have an experienced character and experience as a player as well if you plan to go down the evil path. Evil characters also lack many of the functions available to the "good" guys. Craftguilds and layman guilds come to mind first, which is a shame. Though Elvandar goodies can find themselves stranded from these services as well rather quickly, if the worst comes to pass(wars and stuff), which also, is a shame. I'd rather see craftguilds distributed to all cities which would be logical, IMO. The placement of layman guilds can be more picky, but atleast the evil ones should have a mirror guild or something. I personally long to see evil magic users.

As for clerics of the non-represented gods, there are none and I do not think there are any planned any time soon(playerbase, other projects, RL).

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:35 am

Delmon wrote: .... or will the crusaders become radical once more?
..... I'd like to see luminier as an evil, ....
With how I roleplay Luminier, chances are low. But I suppose even my normal methods can be considered radical by anyone anyways, it's easy, just roleplay it. It would be rather impossible for be to roleplay becoming evil. I don't think you can be the leader of the good guys and fall from grace easily.
Last edited by luminier on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:15 am

Can't there be some not-so-nice mages out there too?
1. Take over as judge in arborea

2. rise in the ranks of scribes

3. learn magic

4. gain some anti-taniel/crusader friends (preferably 2-3 active but 1 strong tshahark or human or dwarf is sufficient

krelji
Hero

#7 Post by krelji » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:24 am

Can't there be some not-so-nice mages out there too?
Delmon wrote:1. Take over as judge in arborea
That's not necessary.
Delmon wrote:2. rise in the ranks of scribes
For now this is a requirement, but it will change someday.
Delmon wrote:3. learn magic
Damn, why didn't I think of that? Until now I tried to be a mage without learning magic ;).
Delmon wrote:4. gain some anti-taniel/crusader friends (preferably 2-3 active but 1 strong tshahark or human or dwarf is sufficient
I am not sure if this would be required once there are some real mages.

The placements of the craft guilds make it currently difficult for evil mages. It is not
impossible, but you might need a support network for the ressources.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:54 am

An aggressive scribe taskforce lead by the masters with a mission might be rather quirky, it'd be even more fun when there are more formula specific fumbles and stuff. It'd be chaotic.

Andreati
Master

#9 Post by Andreati » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Delmon wrote: What geas needs is another axstream asral, a cemoch, a lilithian like the original kaspars, a Naga with his oratory wonder, or another group of thieves with a leader like gen. I'd like to see luminier as an evil, and watch Andy attack the elvandar patrol then drag some poor young shao off into the forest.
I wouldn't mind seeing most of these...but...

You have to remember that people are supposed to be bound to roleplay. People shouldn't change the way they rp just to shake things up a little, not unless there's some good rp reason. Example: People just randomly trying out the new butcher/skin commands on humanoids. No rp reason, just because it was a cool thing to try out. Most people weren't happy about the outcome of that one.

Secondly...Trying to poke other people into doing things probably won't work. If you want something to happen, be proactive about it. Examples could be having Delmon preach about how the Asralites are going to burn in hell and how they cause all the problems in the world--this might cause the reaction that you are looking for to lead to a conflict.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

ganandorf
Overlord

#10 Post by ganandorf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Sathos taking over the world? anyone?
Meow

Kaseo
Journeyman

#11 Post by Kaseo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 pm

ganandorf wrote:Sathos taking over the world? anyone?
I think we should all pitch in and make this dream a reality. ;P
It WOULD be interesting though... I think it would be fun RP. A world ruled by pain-loving torturers? What could POSSIBLY go wrong with that?
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

Herst
Master

#12 Post by Herst » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Arborea needs a human king with some undead guards. The old temple of Asral should become a bottomless pit to toss the rotting remains of those who oppose the Sathonites.

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Gwenlanea would definately need to be killed, and Elvandar made a second Eal-Deliah. Darkelf Queen if we are going for coolness.

Delia
Overlord

#14 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:23 am

Nah, I'll just have Delia overthrow the current pantheon. It has been on the to-do list for too long anyways. I'll guarantee plenty of fun afterwards for everyone :twisted:

isengoo
Champion

#15 Post by isengoo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 am

Unfortunately, most people prefer to play the goody goody. This leads to boring roleplay where nobody can be corrupted by anyone else for any reason, or at least if they do have an idea of what would turn their character down another road, they never say anything about it.

Delia
Overlord

#16 Post by Delia » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 am

Playing the good guys is easier and more tempting, in a way. More areas to have an easy access to, more services, no fear of instant death in the hands of crusaders and the like. There is very little room for the average small time bad guy - most people see the only option being trying to join the Sathos.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#17 Post by Kaseo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 am

People following evil gods are instantly treated with distrust and dislike, and if they don't change who they follow, before long they're hunted down and killed for following said god. I'm sure this turns a lot of people away from it, because they just want to play the game and you can't easily earlier on as a darker character.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 pm

It takes experience to make a successful evil character. Anyone will tell you that.... Tessa?

Delmon
Champion

#19 Post by Delmon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm

An aggressive scribe taskforce lead by the masters with a mission might be rather quirky, it'd be even more fun when there are more formula specific fumbles and stuff. It'd be chaotic.
I want to see Delia vaporize someone. I offer Virle.
Examples could be having Delmon preach about how the Asralites are going to burn in hell
I'm doubting that will get any reaction from the Andy, more like negative reaction from my leader
Unfortunately, most people prefer to play the goody goody. This leads to boring roleplay where nobody can be corrupted by anyone else for any reason
Playing a good person is pleasant, and things work nicely.

Delia
Overlord

#20 Post by Delia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:02 am

Unfortunately, most people prefer to play the goody goody. This leads to boring roleplay where nobody can be corrupted by anyone else for any reason, or at least if they do have an idea of what would turn their character down another road, they never say anything about it.
Rather than seeing someone corrupted, I'd like to see more one-time personal conflicts between characters which do not necessarily involve any fighting. There are quite some things from time to time when involved in the higher echelons of leadership within a guild, but even then(more so if your character has any common sense and self-restraint) there might be more to tie you down than not.