War

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

arxthas
Hero

Re: War

#61 Post by arxthas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:40 am

luminier wrote:How should this properly be roleplayed? Every war I've ever heard of In geas ended really way worse than it should have.

Tips or hints?
Personally I think one thing that can contribute is treat others like you would want your opponent to treat you.

It might not be exactly what war is, but when for example a thief steals something, it seems to be remembered by everyone foreever. The guy gets black-labeled and is hunted down for the rest of his life. Personally I think a more symbolical punishment such as cutting his hand off a single time is just as fitting. You can still have the thief in mind as maybe not the best person, but not judgemental after a while has passed. Same thing goes for the thief of course. He should give the goodies an actual chance to catch them, or when it comes to guild wars - not attacking guild halls when the guild memebers are offline (which I always considered really pointless since are close to no oppurtunity for RP).

Similiar in war, you can give try to give your opponents a decent (or even very good) chance of fulfilling the requirements you put on them. Terms like "burn down your guildhalls and die" or something that is not even possible by code is also an unfair term (unless you think it is something that can be RP'd out with help of emotes/talk). I think often the ridiculous terms were a problem.

Another thing is to respect the meaning of death. Play each life like it's the last. If you die, don't pretend to remember details about the death etc. If you die, your character is weak and needs excessive rest etc. Death/resurrections aren't supposed like a nice stroll in the park. If anyone can ignore their favourite features of the MUD it gets kind of meaningless. A death or even just pain/torture should probably enough for 99.9% of the population to agree to terms (if they are sane, that is) even if it hurts.

Zehren
Overlord

#62 Post by Zehren » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

arxthas wrote: Another thing is to respect the meaning of death. Play each life like it's the last. If you die, don't pretend to remember details about the death etc. If you die, your character is weak and needs excessive rest etc. Death/resurrections aren't supposed like a nice stroll in the park. If anyone can ignore their favourite features of the MUD it gets kind of meaningless. A death or even just pain/torture should probably enough for 99.9% of the population to agree to terms (if they are sane, that is) even if it hurts.
Yes, most invisible NPCs succumb to torture and death. :)
PCs are not commoners, for the most part.

What really strikes me as funny, though, is when someone dies during PvP, and the next thing which happens is bartering for one's items back. :mrgreen:

I wish a section about not having memories from one's death could be added to fair-play or the rules. The problem here is that your ghost, spirit, stays around for a moment and surveillances the area and people... And can talk.

Perhaps, to make death both more interesting and severe, one could have some real challenges to go through before being let back alive. Perhaps a meeting with one's deity...
I once played a (3D-) game where death meant you had to go through a rather harsh labyrinth, suspended in the air, without rails and such. It was very hard to find one's way, and if you fell off... Back to the start again. Took me half an hour finishing it once, I think.
If such a thing would be considered for Geas, I imagine randomised rooms would be needed.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

lanyara
Overlord

#63 Post by lanyara » Sat May 01, 2010 2:34 pm

What really strikes me as funny, though, is when someone dies during PvP, and the next thing which happens is bartering for one's items back.
The reason is simple:

Dying is very easy. You lose vitality which is basically only a bit of playing time, which comes back anyway after some time.

If you play a small/weak char it is even less important :) Whether you'd be at 80% of "very weak" or 100% "very weak" is not a big difference. But for a very big character, vitality loss can be a bigger problem. And after some time again, whether you'd be at 40% of 60% doesn't make a big difference - so deaths in this range are pretty meaningless right now. If you are already weak and die again, why care for this at all.

But items, especially expensive ones, are much harder to get. Often more expensive. If someone else takes them away from you you usually want to try to get them back. You lost playing time here so of course you are going to care. ;)

Probably artefacts and custom items would be the biggest target in looting wars (most difficult to get back I think) followed by expensive guild armour.
Perhaps, to make death both more interesting and severe, one could have some real challenges to go through before being let back alive. Perhaps a meeting with one's deity...
It's not a bad idea, it needs more planning though. And probably fitting to every deity...
If such a thing would be considered for Geas, I imagine randomised rooms would be needed.
I think the technical solution is the easier part, the much harder part is to think of something fitting... and some questions.

- How long should it take?
- Will we still have ghosts in-game, or only in this "other area"?
- Will it be different for deities?
- Will clerical characters have an influence on this or not?

etc... needs some more thought I think.
Best race: halflings.

Skragna
Champion

#64 Post by Skragna » Sun May 02, 2010 12:24 am

As for the cleric rez/ "fighting rez" (think Prey for 360) I think it'd be awesome to see the two rolled into one. I.E, you have to fight some of the things in every person that their deity doesn't want... I.E, for Taniel, you'd be fighting the little bitty chunk of chaos living in your soul. Lower faith makes the critter tougher, and how well you do affects vitality loss? Also, clerics would give your spirit "equipment" of a sort... So you're not totally defenseless.