Power-leaving?

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Power-leaving?

#21 Post by lanyara » Wed May 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Hmm. I am still not sure. Why would the character need to wait for a reaction of another character before he can leave? Would the situation be any better if he'd do this instead?

"wave quic"
"say Bye."
"emote starts moving to the west quickly."
"emote walks off to the west."
"w"

In like 2 or 3 seconds? How could he KNOW that the other character wants to respond to it, either? Because not everyone will respond... especially not afk-ish people...
This is about giving other players a chance to make their character respond to you leaving. They could, for instance, call out after you. "Hey! Wait!", roll their own eyes, or just watch as you walk away.
Ok but ... why would they have to do this? Do they have to be interested in the reaction of that other char?
You emote: X nods and begins walking westwards.
I see what you mean, but "nod" is a lot easier than the "begins walking" emote... would the other char have to wait for a reaction before he can do so?

I do agree with what @Ganon wrote:
Or easy fix, if someone powerleaves you ignore them/be rude to them for a bit. Don't talk to them/interact with them, and explain why. It's not like you have to be friends with everybody in the MUD. Why not tell them ingame instead of complaining ooc. It's an in game/roleplay thing, why not deal with it that way?
Of course the problem in this case is, someone who is less interested in interaction with a weak char in the first place won't care much about it lateron either... they will go skill training ... ;-)
Best race: halflings.

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Power-leaving?

#22 Post by Zehren » Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 am

lanyara wrote:Hmm. I am still not sure. Why would the character need to wait for a reaction of another character before he can leave? Would the situation be any better if he'd do this instead?

"wave quic"
"say Bye."
"emote starts moving to the west quickly."
"emote walks off to the west."
"w"

In like 2 or 3 seconds? How could he KNOW that the other character wants to respond to it, either? Because not everyone will respond... especially not afk-ish people...
This is about giving other players a chance to make their character respond to you leaving. They could, for instance, call out after you. "Hey! Wait!", roll their own eyes, or just watch as you walk away.
Ok but ... why would they have to do this? Do they have to be interested in the reaction of that other char?
You emote: X nods and begins walking westwards.
I see what you mean, but "nod" is a lot easier than the "begins walking" emote... would the other char have to wait for a reaction before he can do so?

I do agree with what @Ganon wrote:
Or easy fix, if someone powerleaves you ignore them/be rude to them for a bit. Don't talk to them/interact with them, and explain why. It's not like you have to be friends with everybody in the MUD. Why not tell them ingame instead of complaining ooc. It's an in game/roleplay thing, why not deal with it that way?
Of course the problem in this case is, someone who is less interested in interaction with a weak char in the first place won't care much about it lateron either... they will go skill training ... ;-)
This is a common scenario today:
'wave'
'say bye'
'west'

Now, this person has waved and said bye, before walking west.
When the person walked west, the person had to actually begin walking. They do not suddenly teleport away. Unless they are teleporting mages, but that is irrelevant. Of course, the game mechanics handle the 'west' instantly.

With a scenario such as 'wave' 'say bye' 'emote begins walking westward' your character would do the exact same thing as in 'wave' 'say bye' 'west'. You wave, say bye, and begin walking westwards.

The DIFFERENCE would be that the latter would allow other players time to make their character react. This is entirely an OOC issue, as I see it, since whether you use 'west' or an emote first, your character would still have to begin walking. Unless they are teleporting.

There is no difference IC between 'west' and an emote stating you move westwards, giving another player a chance to make their character react, and then finally actually having moved far away west to get to the next area.

Does this mean your character, who begins walking west, is interested in the reaction of another character? No. But as a player you would still give them the choice of reacting. Let us say someone shouts "Wait!" after you when you leave. Does that mean your character will stop? No. But it is logical to assume someone would perhaps shout that after you while you walk away. Thus...

A waves and says bye and begins walking westwards.
B shouts "Wait!"
A thoroughly ignores B.
A walked out to the west.

Of course, this is for when you have already been interacting with someone. When someone runs through, they are running, not stopping at all, and a room has some size... Size enough not even perhaps to see each other.

Summarisation:
ICly there should not be any difference between west, and an emote and time and finally leaving west. It is simply, in my opinion, better handling of the same scenario.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!