comparing heights?

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Eleassa
Professional

comparing heights?

#1 Post by Eleassa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Last night I got thinking about something very minor that happened during RP. What range of heights are the different descriptions? How tall can a normal halfling be, vs a very tall one, or a very short one. Or a very tall half-elf vs a normal human.

My appraise skill isn't high enough to be even close to accurate, but I am sure my characters would be able to know that so-an-so is taller than them, or only comes up to the waist.

What I'd like to see is maybe a chart, or a diagram showing comparative heights. And if it could include the variations like short, very short, normal, tall, very tall, that would be great.
Two rules to live by:
Don't sweat the petty stuff.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

A third rule to live by:
Don't do ANYTHING you don't want to admit and/or explain to a paramedic

matusalem
Master

Re: comparing heights?

#2 Post by matusalem » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 pm

If it helps, a "very short" halfling such as Matusalem is about 85 cm, or a little over 2 and 1/2 feet tall.

lanyara
Overlord

#3 Post by lanyara » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 am

Lanyara is about 20 cm ...

The helpfiles could mention the range spectrum of the different races.
I am sure my characters would be able to know that so-an-so is taller than them, or only comes up to the waist.
Completely agreed. If you stand next to someone else in reallife who is significantly taller or smaller then you immediately notice that.

The appraise command could display this kind of information too, such as "This halfling is about half your size only." or "This tshahark towers far above you." or whatever else is appropriate.
Best race: halflings.

Miyaviel

#4 Post by Miyaviel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 am

Ahhhh. I totally agree with this. It'd really enhance roleplay. It's something I struggle with when I play Miyaviel because I have to ballpark heights or completely ignore them.... It's one of those little things that makes a big difference.