Writing with a spoken accent?

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Eleassa
Professional

Writing with a spoken accent?

#1 Post by Eleassa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 pm

There's something that's been bugging me lately, and I seem to encounter it in every RP mud I've played.

Why do people have their characters 'write' in the same accent they 'speak' with?

You don't write with your spoken accent in real life. Can you imagine what the forums would look like if you did?
Wen ya come upth' house, Jes' pahk in th' grass. Ain't gonna be no room in th' dooryahd.
Translation: When you come over, just park in the grass. There won't be any room left in the driveway.

And yes, there really are people who talk that way in my neck of the woods.
Two rules to live by:
Don't sweat the petty stuff.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

A third rule to live by:
Don't do ANYTHING you don't want to admit and/or explain to a paramedic

Desiderea
Master

Re: Writing with a spoken accent?

#2 Post by Desiderea » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:23 pm

I do find that kind of funny too, but it could be that the char just has poor grammar skills/bad spelling. :)

matusalem
Master

#3 Post by matusalem » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I was perplexed by that for about half a minute when I first started too. I decided to write my notes with good grammar and "talk" like a yokel.

lanyara
Overlord

#4 Post by lanyara » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:33 am

I think it depends on the player, how they get used to playing one character with accent only. There are examples of those who write without their accent (which I think makes the most sense) and then there are those who write with their accent. But I can't give many examples for the latter actually, perhaps only two players.

Imagine switching between characters with different accents - that could be a nightmare! A language filter would be nice, just like for the tshaharks, and you could customize that language filter for the character in question (for spoken words only, not for written words).
Best race: halflings.

anglachel
Site Admin

#5 Post by anglachel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:25 am

This sounds funny, but i am afraid it would be hard to understand. Special for these people with an other mother language as english.

Urlyth
Veteran

#6 Post by Urlyth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 am

I understand what is being said here in the topic about written and spoken word , however I tend in real to speak with a broken Lancashire/Derbyshire accent although I live in Scotland but I try to write in the correct way but yes I was not a graduate so my grammar and spelling are often wrong.

Urlyth was a dwarven lass that was brought up in the mining environment and probably doesnt really know how to read and write properly anyway and so although she wont write totally with her accent she wont know that the way she pronounces some words is not the correct way to spell them either.

So we have a lass that speaks with a thick broad accent in her native Khuzdul tongue and common, but she speaks normally when speaking Gnar Tshahark Boreal and Quenya because she learned those languages from her teacher at the Skalden guild, but she writes with a broken accent too because she has done well to learn to read and write at all let alone learn grammar.

Skragna
Champion

#7 Post by Skragna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Lesur's barely literate, see. It's why he writes exactly as he talks. Skragna, on the other hand, I RP as having been a scribe before becoming a tshahark, hence his correct spelling/grammar, as well as the flowery speech.

lanyara
Overlord

#8 Post by lanyara » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Hmmmm and people wonder why tshaharks are smarter than dwarves these days .... ;-)
Best race: halflings.

Urlyth
Veteran

#9 Post by Urlyth » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:37 am

Hmmmm and people wonder why tshaharks are smarter than dwarves these days .... ;-)
pfft ems not!