Wars

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

mazarmormuk
Veteran

Re: Wars

#21 Post by mazarmormuk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

hmm, when mazar was avatar, he had some talks with wizards
about moving the temple out of town, and i guess the burning temple was the result.

If i remember right the last war mazar fought started over a watchtower, not much for a war if you ask me, but the conditions for peace were put like "follow devine law, stop hunting you traitors and let us hunt ours, or die", and now the one goes about a char leaving the asrals.

Its just points that a cruzader cannot influence, not even with war, and even if that goes wrong in rp for many people, imo it s still the avatar of asral that leads the warclerics, kicking people out and defining rules for living.
Not accepting someone else doing that means many deaths and bad rp.
in fact -as i played a warcleric- mazar would have rather liked to make the warclerics an underground group of asador or elsewhere than accepting someone outside taking over controle of the guild.
the asrals are no bonepriests, they live in the south next door to crusaders and they got no undeads, neither hellrifts or anything else to hide (and one can try to run from luminier on a unicorn with a death-crit-lance wielded by foot, but where to in the moment you re exhausted, if luminier attacks in all cities and kills the guild guards ,too?)

thats too a point in the discussion about how to handle death.
simple and extreme example is playing an arcenemy of someone 200+ and got told follow the rules of your enemy or die over and over again.

So perhaps you handle the point that warclerics stop playing icly as the fact that they hide in the giat and start to build up warclerics as an underground organisation, because they cannot live their kind of life in the south any more. (So as mazar had times without war going on when he met crusaders on the street or elsewhere that killed him for an evil aura, while mazar saw himself still as neutral)

please do not see it as a personal offense, luminier, but you re on such a high level with your char that it should make you think "how can i make people having fun in that mud ?", and not "what is the way i get most fun out of that mud?"

jezz
Hero

#22 Post by jezz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 am

Hi all.

Personally, and without knowing much about what it is going on here, I must say while I played GEAS, there were numerous times when a char was nearly invincible, from Kurt to Druzilla, Korsario, Yegerfin, Mazar, even Jezz to some degree.

And everytime such a character achieved that "rank", the behaviour of all them was the same: to soften their rp to allow the rest of players have fun their ways, maybe even strengthening their will to become stronger to be able to beat him/her.

While that kind of behaviour is possible with satho priests, asrals, shaolins, legionaries, etc. it is not possible to do with a crusader.

It is the background behind the crusader guild what makes them so dangerous, not for the players, but for the guild as a whole.

Code a guild with amazing pvp powers and equip, and restrict their RP to: "you're not with me, I kill you" and sooner or later a player will take the "king of the crown" place, making impossible for the rest to play.

lanyara
Overlord

#23 Post by lanyara » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 am

Code a guild with amazing pvp powers and equip, and restrict their RP to: "you're not with me, I kill you" and sooner or later a player will take the "king of the crown" place, making impossible for the rest to play.
I think the guild agenda - including the code enforced part - of the crusade is way too restrictive. That's the main problem.
The balance aspect is another problem too - if crusaders would be weaker then other groups like the Sathos could become stronger and hence more active too.

The problem is that even the players of the crusaders don't have too much fun that way right now (that's my opinion).

If you look at who is active, and who is not, then well - reallife has an influence, but you would see that the crusaders as a whole aren't that active currently.

Wars in general don't work in the game - the result of wars, especially if they aren't stopped, is that the playerbase drops. Wars are affecting the game too negatively.

A decline in a playerbase is terrible for any MUD. You absolutely need players to interact with in one way or the other. The best agenda makes no sense to have if there are no playercharacters who carry it forward.

Compare two crusader characters - I don't want to give any character names, so let's say Joe the crusader and Henry the crusader.

Joe is strong enough to use PvP, Henry is not.

The difference between these two will be immense. One achieves PvP aims, the other does not, and the resulting roleplay will also differ immensely between Joe and Henry. And of course of other characters who meet either Joe or Henry.

What PO Isengorn wrote is actually quite true, he wrote that you need players for agendas (he wrote that indirectly, "if the players don't do it, it is changed")

What would be the point of having empty guilds if noone would want to go about certain agendas?

PO Jezz wrote in another note, about "powertraining up", and it has indeed become a way too general trait of the MUD.

Trained up characters will dominate in PvP and if the players behind these characters would be stubborn enough, the whole game would be locked in non-stop PvP. That makes it hard for young characters to join guilds, and they would often become PvP targets too. No surprise that there are many guildless characters.

PvP and conflicts will exist without code that enforces it as well.

It did so in the past too. Conflicts will happen as a side effect of roleplay.

In my opinion there is no need at all to have code that wants to enforce permanent PvP - there would be no alternative to it in the long run. And how would any guild work without players in it either?
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

Was going to post a reply, but it's too off topic. I made a new one. See "Guilds, Balance, Roleplay"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.