Elvandar law

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Iaelera

Elvandar law

#1 Post by Iaelera » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 am

There now exists a wiki page for the discussing of a more intricate Elvandar law, in case anyone is interested.

http://wiki.geas.de/bin/view/Main/JournalOfLurenad

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Elvandar law

#2 Post by ganandorf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Don't be discouraged if you don't win the election. Characters more well established than yours have tried something similar to no avail. It doesn't help your cause that your character is really not well known and seems to be new.
Meow

lanyara
Overlord

#3 Post by lanyara » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 pm

It's also very difficult for guildless characters.
Best race: halflings.

Iaelera

#4 Post by Iaelera » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:29 pm

If it's not wanted, I'm certainly not going to attempt to force it through. :shrug:
I found the idea interesting, though, and as such decided to give it a try.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Of course you can try (competing ideas are good for the game and the roleplay), but it is what it is: an election. If you can convince enough people IC, you'll have a chance of winning. However, in order to convince people one needs to be somewhat famous and popular, and that usually only happens if you have been around for a certain amount of time and interacted with a variety of people.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Blizt
Hero

#6 Post by Blizt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:11 am

Don't forget you can bribe and lie your way to power too!

lanyara
Overlord

#7 Post by lanyara » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 am

What if bribery were to be ... illegal. :D

caelia
Professional

#8 Post by caelia » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:12 pm

I personally think the law is good the way it is, or nearly so. Caelia was judge for a very long time, but only made a handful of mostly minor changes.

I do, however, think that the structure and customs of elven society could be fleshed out a bit more. I think the medieval emphasis on "custom" (which included laws, as well as other standards of behaviour) is worth keeping in mind here - as there are ways of shaping Elven society without changing the laws.

Just to chase an idea a bit... a few recent notes have mentioned the idea of various houses of elven nobility. I think the plausibility of such stories would be improved if there were an agreement about the nature and role of the various houses, as well as perhaps some alliances/rivalries between them, preferred professions, and perhaps some houses that allow for non-human retainers.

I'm thinking in particular of the frustrations in creating the backstory for a new player. For an elven character, it can be tricky to decide where the character fits in elven society, or what he or she was doing for the past hundred or so years, unless there is an understanding of what elven society looks like, and what makes up a typical elven childhood, and so on. It's just so different from our real-life experiences that it is very hard to imagine.

@poIaelera - unfortunately, your goal is a bit of a long shot. It's just hard to get elected as Judge without being an established player, and in Elvandar the position really doesn't change hands very often.

But I really, really don't want you to be discouraged. Caelia is going to have some reasons to want to push your buttons, and she will especially expect you defend the arguments you make in favour of change, but (I hope this is obvious already) I do not take it personally, and whatever opposition you see from her is not intended personally. Anyone can help make Geas a better game, and I am really looking forward to hearing more of your ideas. If the election doesn't pan out, but enough people like your ideas, there may be ways to make them happen anyway.

Desiderea
Master

#9 Post by Desiderea » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:39 am

I think if older players could perhaps list out some customs that have been established, that would help for new players trying to set up their rp. Hearkening back to old values is hard when we don't know what the old values were. Is there just an "elven" page on the wiki perhaps?

I've just thought of houses as being family lines, not necessarily nobility. But then, what is elven nobility like exactly? Are there commoners and aristocrats?

Also, I found a post from awhile back about elven aging, that I have been basing my elf's rp off of. (Arwenth posted a nice elf/human age comparison chart.) Might be helpful to others too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=608

lanyara
Overlord

#10 Post by lanyara » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:54 pm

what is elven nobility like exactly
In my limited opinion, all who roleplayed as elven nobles eventually stopped doing so. I have no idea why, but then again it's a character concept which doesn't seem particularly fascinating, may lead to friction and doesn't really seem to come with any tangible benefits in-game. Besides that I am not sure that it fits to have too many nobles in today's melting pot called Elvandar.

Would have fit to Eal-Deliah much more.