Improving the odds for your deity - aka Earthly Power

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

fernao
Champion

Improving the odds for your deity - aka Earthly Power

#1 Post by fernao » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 am

Since it seems to derail the morality and philosophy discussion, I opened this new thread.

I think the first question should be, are there effects of the earthly power of a deity for others than for the members of the clerical guilds or not.

If there are, actions of "normal" follower should have significant effects. If not, they should contribute, but only to a minor degree, as it should be the clergy that should care for it. Also, if "sacrifices" of followers contribute, I think there should be some balance as to the possibility for a layman to contribute. As it is now, layman followers of Taniel just have to burn candles, easy enough, provided they can afford them, and money for candles ain't really a problem. If I take Asral layman followers on the other side, they need to sacrifice heads or skulls of vanquished (humanoid) enemies. And to boot that, enemies worthy of sacrifice. That means, after a certain time, you need the heads and skulls of ogres, giants or troll to impress Asral and gain favour as a follower by sacrifice. That in itself wouldn't be the problem, it is rather the fact that e.g. Fernao cannot pick up the head or skull of an ogre or giants, simply because they are too heavy... so, unless one is a superstrong tshahark it becomes virtually impossible to sacrifice.

Attending sermons should in my eyes also improve earthly power, after all, the word of your god is actively spread, and you apparently are interested in soaking it up. And its a thing all priests can do for their followers.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Drayn
Hero

Re: Improving the odds for your deity - aka Earthly Power

#2 Post by Drayn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 am

I think followers should have an impact on their faith, just as much as it has an impact on them. Just now there seems to be a divide between the clergy and the layman, to a degree I think this will always be the case, but there really should be less of one.

I often feel like a roaming favour and miracle dispenser :D

I think people would feel closer to their faith if they knew they had an impact on it.

per
Master

Re: Improving the odds for your deity - aka Earthly Power

#3 Post by per » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 am

To recapitulate something I have mentioned in other posts:

My opinion is that "EP" is an internal game mechanic that should be invisible outside the clergy, and as an abstract representation of a particular character class, it should be roleplayed away, so that it stops being a reason for action/inaction.

Not that one can not take cues from it, but it should be clothed in RP.

Balance issues: Best dealt with in in-game boards, reports or by contacting your friendly guild staff or surrogate.