Recognizing good/bad RP

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Recognizing good/bad RP

#21 Post by Zehren » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:33 am

Delia wrote:
POWER LEAVING.
How is this weird? Have you not ever encountered this RL?
I have.
However, IRL, it would have usually left me time to stab someone in the back. (theoretically). As mentioned in some old post I made - if your character intends to leave abruptly, make an emote and give me a chance to react to the rudeness!

EDIT: This is if you stop to begin with, of course. Otherwise you would likely not be notised much XD
Eluriel wrote:One thing I kind of struggle with though is how to politely leave... Like I'm waiting to see if the other person is going to say/do anything, and they're likely doing the exact same thing as me... and I don't want to just say, "Well, nothing's happening, so bye!" I really ought to be a bit more proactive in my rp rather than reactive, cause I do seem to have the most fun rping with people who take initiative.
If I would decide how to handle leavin for everyone (protip: I don't), then this would easily be solved by the following in all/most cases:

player1: emote nods briskly, turns on his heels and begins walking away without a single glance back.
player2: emote grunts annoyedly before returning to knitting.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Sairina
Hero

#22 Post by Sairina » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:49 am

EDIT: This is if you stop to begin with, of course. Otherwise you would likely not be notised much XD
I can only really see this as being weird if the person stopped for a longer chat and *then* just left - if it's just a nod and a hello, I'd think of it as the GEAS equivalent of greeting someone while passing by.

Zehren
Overlord

#23 Post by Zehren » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:57 am

Sairina wrote:
I can only really see this as being weird if the person stopped for a longer chat and *then* just left - if it's just a nod and a hello, I'd think of it as the GEAS equivalent of greeting someone while passing by.
Please note that it's the execution of leaving I do not like - they are free to leave, but I have no option of calling out to them to wait a moment or anything.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

glorfindel
Hero

#24 Post by glorfindel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am

I am guilty of doing that one, most of those are done while in a hurry. In geas time passes 6 times faster then in the real world, which has some consequences. Sure I understand that annoyance, I felt it myself, yet somebody doing that is more likely like rushing by and just greeting you to not being impolite to you. They could not stop to greet you, but likely they do to show some respect to your char. Just my 2cc.

ewelyn
Professional

#25 Post by ewelyn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

There are many articles about good RP on various MUD sites! A few suggestions that I think are pretty good:

http://www.skotos.net/articles/medium08.shtml
http://www.skotos.net/articles/medium07.shtml
http://www.mudconnect.com/articles/how_ ... p_mud.html
http://www.skotos.net/articles/medium18.phtml
http://www.topmudsites.com/rp101-01.shtml
http://www.topmudsites.com/article27.shtml
http://www.mudconnect.com/articles/villian.html
http://www.topmudsites.com/brody01.shtml
http://www.topmudsites.com/article32.shtml

There is tons much more out there of course. :roll:

My 2 coppers:

Roleplay is a co-operative effort - it can never work if the players do not agree. I sometimes ask others through OOC channels if they are OK with fighting/PVP and other things, if I feel unsure. Another way to phrase it is: If not both players enjoy it, drop the keyboard and step away from the computer - you are not roleplaying :roll:

Most people get happy when you acknowledge their roleplay and play along. Everything that is done should ideally should support the scene that you are currently trying to produce,... it is essentially group storytelling (just that you act it).

Sairina
Hero

#26 Post by Sairina » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 am

Please note that it's the execution of leaving I do not like - they are free to leave, but I have no option of calling out to them to wait a moment or anything.
Oh, I understood what you meant. I personally tend to find it somewhat annoying rather than pleasing if people emote things like "starts walking east" - don't get me wrong, if you prefer doing that, it's fine with me, but I see it as more of a matter of personal taste than of good/bad RP.

As for what I *do* consider "bad RP" - or maybe I should say, what really annoys me as a player whenever I encounter it, is this (quoted from one of the very nice links Ewelyn just posted):
If you deny something, do it respectfully and have a very good reason. Make sure it's an IC denial instead of 'breaking the bubble'.
This has happened to me a lot in GEAS, with various characters. I suppose the reason for it happening so much is that the world is comparatively small. For example, we, the players, know all of the items in the game, so if there is something different around it's a custom item and therefore made by Xuchal. We also know that there is no elven tailor in Elvandar, just Milla. But maybe my snobbish elven chara would never consider wearing a dress made by a human (let alone a dwarf). So maybe I want to RP that she got it somewhere else (and there should be hundreds of invisible NPC elves in Elvandar that just might be able to sew her a gown, so it's not even an unrealistic assumption). Or maybe I made the item to look incredibly old, so I can RP it being a family heirloom. My chara explains this to another, and then he just goes: "Nah, everyone can see that's one of Xuchal's!" No, fella, you can't! All your character sees is an elven style gown, or a sword that looks ancient enough to be from an archeological dig site, and no you can not tell that halfling in disguise is a known thief, just because you can determine his height to a millimeter (how often have you recognized people by their exact height irl?).

Addendum:
This doesn't mean you have to believe everything another char says, of course. Just that if you disbelieve them, you should have IC reasons for it, rather than OOC reasons.
Last edited by Sairina on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

per
Master

#27 Post by per » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 am

I can tell you for a fact, that Xuchal subcontracts (fictionally).

Sairina
Hero

#28 Post by Sairina » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 am

That's nice, but that was just one example, not the point of my post. Still doesn't help with custom items made to look old, or countless other things I can't think of right now. The point I was trying to make though was more a matter of "RP etiquette" - respect the assumptions other people make for the sake or RP. Of course both sides have to be realistic about it (no one should RP that his char can fly), but you know what I mean.

Challenging another char's reality doesn't add to the enjoyment of any of the players involved, does it? The scene just gets awkward at this point, with one char insisting that what he said is true, and the other insisting that it can't be (for OOC reasons rather than IC ones). There's no way to solve this sort of conflict that would please anyone, so the best option is not to go there in the first place. What's the harm in taking a little thing like this for granted? The character inherited a sword - so what? It happens in the real world, it happens on Forostar. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are included in your game mechanics. :)

glorfindel
Hero

#29 Post by glorfindel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hello,

The thing Sairina describes here has bugged me a lot in my playing times as well (I think I even mentioned it here), it is that people assume that the world is as small as it appears to be. For me, geas is crowded. There are a lot of people on the streets even though you do not see them. There's a lot going on behind the scenes and a char should have a really hard time recognizing certain things as there are so many people around them.

Urlyth
Veteran

#30 Post by Urlyth » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 am

But maybe my snobbish elven chara would never consider wearing a dress made by a human (let alone a dwarf).
Yeah well no self respectin dwarf wud make a frock for no longear anyways! But we may dig up some metal ter make dem pointy fings yer holds bits of cloth tergether wid whiles yer sews!

Sairina
Hero

#31 Post by Sairina » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:06 am

Yeah well no self respectin dwarf wud make a frock for no longear anyways! But we may dig up some metal ter make dem pointy fings yer holds bits of cloth tergether wid whiles yer sews!
:lol: You cavedwellers would still be wrapped in furs if we didn't make fragile things like needles and actually used them - everyone knows that's why dwarves use big axes and hammers, you can't handle anything more subtle with those clumsy stubby-fingered hands of yours. :twisted:

Urlyth
Veteran

#32 Post by Urlyth » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 am

you can't handle anything more subtle with those clumsy stubby-fingered hands of yours. :twisted:
A finks Lachtli mabe insulted by what yer sayin *rolling over laughing*