Fighting among people of the same religion

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

rex
Veteran

Fighting among people of the same religion

#1 Post by rex » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 am

Just rambling here, but do you think it would be possible to fight between two people of the same religion based on different interpretations of that Gods beliefs? Or does it not make sense since Gods can specifically interact with people and tell them what they really believe. I know for example Christians to not interpret God the same way. Is this possible in geas?

Eluriel
Master

Re: Fighting among people of the same religion

#2 Post by Eluriel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 am

I'm sure people will still have different interpretations.

per
Master

#3 Post by per » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:12 am

I think it happens all the time. But schisms are are ultimately rare for the reasons cited.

Andreati
Master

#4 Post by Andreati » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Andy vs. Asral Church. Boom.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

apparently andy and varric vs asral church, bam.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Yngwe
Apprentice

#6 Post by Yngwe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:48 am

"Christian" "Muslim" and other generalized words refer to specific groups of belief systems which share some foundational concepts. This does not also mean that all the various belief systems included in those generalized words agree in every point.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), this is not how things work in Geas. Asral means... Asral. There are not subfactions within the Asral faith. You don't have Cathasrals who bow to statues of Asral over here with Protestasrals on the other side who focus more on feeling all good inside about Asral.
Nor do you have Tanunnis who will knife you in the back for not following Taniel versus Taniites who will try to win you over with kindness before knifing you in the back if you don't convert to Taniel.
You might have individuals who take differing perspectives, but there are really no submovements within the religions of Geas.
The religions on Geas are sorta solid edifices. Ref. Per. and Crusaders (The word of the Lord Marshall is LAAAAW)

***DISCLAIMER***No insult was intended to actual religions of the world or their followers, nor am I implying ANYTHING about actual religions of the world by these statements (please don't stab me for anything I posted here!!)

Allurana
Hero

#7 Post by Allurana » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:53 am

Druids vs. Evrenite Crusaders. It never got physical, but the hatred was made evident verbally.