Magic and Gods Revisited

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

adanath
Champion

Re: Magic and Gods Revisited

#61 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Aha, yes that's it :)

It actually implies rare mages, so perhaps a very small percentage of the population, but yeah I have been referencing it ic for a long time.

Skragna
Champion

#62 Post by Skragna » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Skragna may not remember much of what happened before the Long Sleep, but he knows that he fought in the Insect Wars, hence the poem 'Past' and his introductory moniker, 'veteran of the Insect Wars.' He's got war stories and scars (RP originally, but now supported thanks to oodles of deaths) to boot.

Zehren
Overlord

#63 Post by Zehren » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

adanath wrote:Aha, yes that's it :)

It actually implies rare mages, so perhaps a very small percentage of the population, but yeah I have been referencing it ic for a long time.
It is possible to understand the sentence
"rare mages amongst the tshaharks"
as referring to a mage or two taking responsibility for their monstrous creation and staying with them, and putting them to sleep.
Just saying.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

adanath
Champion

#64 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm

I suppose it is possible although the inference seems to be generally directed the other way. It is how I, and quite a few others have read it plainly. Although the rarity of mages then was known, I don't think it would have necessitated an amongst the tshahark mages. However if developing dogma based upon I can see the merits. It is just not how I would think it to be plainly read.

Delia
Overlord

#65 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 am

As some mages suffered through the ritual as well, it is within the realm of reason that one or two might have actually managed to retain their spellcasting powers. Any said powers would have dwindled over time until they were no more and the no tshahark mages situation was reached. Epic magicks of old, and all that other powerful stuff. Anything could happen.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delia
Overlord

#66 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:38 am

I think it is fine that currently magic is viewed with suspicion/tolerated even as it is still fairly new but I cannot see this remaining as the status quo. Think of it as the calm before a storm, so to speak.

Even players of characters with only minor magics should accept and understand that they are basically asking for trouble in game. Seeking to and actually using the high path even more so.

It would be nice if there was a minor/major magical catastrophe/other event filled with portents of doom revolving around magic that wizzes would orchestrate. Adding any minor surprises to the daily grind are welcome as well.

Ecthor could go snap-cackle-KA-BOOM on Arborea as he is used as a crutch by the tolerant party ;) The quest service could be relocated or remade somehow...perhaps divine powers used to dispel heinous evil magicks? Or something.

Personally I am very open to adversity. Do not fear of "ruining my game" or offendin me with your RP. If it is IC I'll roll with, OOC bull I have little patience with(have had that too) :) Just saying this as a foreword for the witch-hunt to come ;)
Last edited by Delia on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zehren
Overlord

#67 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:32 am

But Zehren is too handsome to die!

Delia
Overlord

#68 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:46 am

Pfsht, Wasn't Zehren the honoured principal of the Arborea Scribes who focuses on true proper knowledge, yes? Not one of those blaspheming heretics who spit in the eyes of the Gods? Like that one there! Look!

Allurana
Hero

#69 Post by Allurana » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 am

I always figured that randomly freakish out of the blue bad weather was due to mages screwing around with the balance of nature.

krelji
Hero

#70 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 am

louis wrote:- All my opinion -
All Clergies should be already well aware, that mages are weakening their gods by "stealing" magic power - that should be reason enough to burn them, I personally mean.
I wasn't aware yet that clerics are able to check the condition of the flows, and in most cases where my char has noticed a significant decrease in some parts of it, it was not due to a Mage. Furthermore I don't think that the condition of the flows have a significant (if any) effect on the strength of their miracles. If this was the case, then the clergies would have some reasons, but not if the flows won't matter for them.
Delia wrote:I think it is fine that currently magic is viewed with suspicion/tolerated even as it is still fairly new but I cannot see this remaining as the status quo. Think of it as the calm before a storm, so to speak.
We should not forget that while the guild might be fairly new, Masterscribes have been working on restoring/rebuilding the arcane arts for perhaps 50 mudyears. Some of it might have happened behind closed doors, but certainly not everything. That mages are viewed with suspicion is to be expeced, since they made quite a bit of their work inaccessible.
Delia wrote:It would be nice if there was a minor/major magical catastrophe/other event filled with portents of doom revolving around magic that wizzes would orchestrate. Adding any minor surprises to the daily grind are welcome as well.
I don't think that we would need such an event, since Mages might eventually create such an event themselves. I guess Ecthor might snap though, since the Mages ignored him. Eventually he might wish to send us his regards though, and I wouldn't expect him to be very friendly.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

adanath
Champion

#71 Post by adanath » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am

After reading through all of this, I have decided.

I think it would be good to blow up Zehren. Just saying.

Zehren
Overlord

#72 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 pm

adanath wrote:After reading through all of this, I have decided.

I think it would be good to blow up Zehren. Just saying.
Man, it would rain fat for days!

Delia
Overlord

#73 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I wasn't aware yet that clerics are able to check the condition of the flows, and in most cases where my char has noticed a significant decrease in some parts of it, it was not due to a Mage. Furthermore I don't think that the condition of the flows have a significant (if any) effect on the strength of their miracles. If this was the case, then the clergies would have some reasons, but not if the flows won't matter for them.
I think the point is not if it actually affects anything that can be noticed IG/IC or if there is a game-play mechanic behind it. A priest could simply feel and think that mages are messing around with something only the gods should have. Everytime a mage casts a spell it is like scooping a ladle full of sand from the big sandbox in the sky and going to build your own sand castle on your own backyard. Bad mages, they do not play along well with others.

Delia
Overlord

#74 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 am

A day in the life of Asral, a suggestion

*A BELLOWING YAWN*
(followed by lazy scratching sounds of fingers on flesh and hair)
"Man...nothing to do, nothing to kill!"
"So boring..."
(polishing a collection of famous thurse skulls)
A clattering sound can be heard.
Asral turns his head and wiggles his hairy nostrils.
*SNIFF*
"By the blade of my axe..."
*SNIFF*
"The stench!"
"Man I've told them I HATE MAGE PALM SWEAT!"
ROOAAAAARRRRR!

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#75 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 pm

From Louis:
Hmm, I can understand the wish to make mages somehow "commonly accepted", but I mean lets stay honest - the only bed a mage deserves is made of straw, soaked with gasoline, and it is set on fire as soon as the mage is put there (preferably bound with a strong rope).
Oh man that had me cracking up.

I am somewhat unsure of how I feel about this whole Mage reputation thing. Like Delia, I wouldn't really mind any kinds of bad feelings toward Mages and all that kind of stuff. I will also roll with the RP.

I think it was in this thread....but I have to agree with Phaeniis that casting spells SHOULD NOT affect reputation with the reputation system as it is.

I do, however, like the suggested idea of having another axis added where maybe the Respected-Feared thingy is possible. Meaning that maybe casting SOME spells could raise the fear meter.

But it seems overly complex to implement that, as it would mostly have to work on a spell-by-spell basis. Even if a spell is visible after it is cast, I don't think all of them would cause Fear equally....and specifically at least one might work the other way around.