Smoking

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Drayn
Hero

Smoking

#1 Post by Drayn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:51 am

Hiya, just thought I'd share some ideas for roleplaying smokers in the game. In the modern world, I imagine everyone is now aware that it's terribly bad for your health, historically however there have been a variety of beliefs about tabacco and smoking.

For years the belief was that smoking was very healthy and helped keep your lungs clean and stopped the development of such believed conditions as lung worms. Queen Victoria was an avid smoker and a health fanatic to boot (well...she went walking a lot, I didn't say she was a GOOD health fanatic).

Oliver Cromwell, the man who banned theater, mince pies, football and christmas, still used to smoke despite banning everything he considered sinful or excessive.

Other traditions hold tabacco and/or smoking as a very spiritual act. The native americans used tabacco in shamanic rites, opium has been smoked for centuries, both for recreation and spiritual purposes. Some shamans would construct low huts with a smoldering fire in it and sit in the smoke to induce hallucinations.

So there were plenty of reasons to smoke before we found out how bad it was. (un)Luckily, our characters are blissfully unaware of the long term health problems associated with smoking. Heck, some of the races might not even HAVE long term health risks. But there are plenty of reasons to pick up the pipe and join the world of virtual smoking :)

Food for thought ;)

Delia
Overlord

Re: Smoking

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:13 am

And firefinger should now work, btw ;)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Skragna
Champion

#3 Post by Skragna » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

I personally see tshahark as immune to carcinogens, thanks to a race of creature called 'Grackle Tooth' in a PNP game called Rifts.

Drayn
Hero

#4 Post by Drayn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 am

I imagine dwarfs would be pretty immune to most lung conditions, having evolved (if evolution even takes place in a creationist world, perhaps through design instead) to resist natural gasses and mineral dusts.

Elves, not sure, they sell tobacco so presumably it's popular in Elvandar. I'd imagine if long term health problems were likely for the elves, they'd have seen it by now.

Halflings...I don't think they could be bothered with cancer or bronchitis...it's not fun.

Humans I imagine reacting to smoke in the same way real humans do.

Half-elves might be a touch more resistant to problems but might get a mild smokers cough or some such.

What about levels of addiction to nicotine?

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 am

Nicotine?

*puts vaan in pipe*

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 am

Personally I'd leave smoking and its effects as mainly to be roleplayed. Having addictions and coughs might seem too micromanaging the level of detail(?). Then again, if you could put various stuff into your pipe for various minor effects, coded aftereffects for the whole thing might be cool. I am somewhat divided here.

Drayn
Hero

#7 Post by Drayn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 am

Nooooonononono, not talking about coding in stuff like that, just sort of general RP guidelines for smoking, not even guidelines so much as ideas.

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am

The point of my musing is that can only tobacco be successfully be put into the pipe and smoked?

But in general I think smoking could be generally accepted with only some minor dissident voices against smoking. Some varying personal opinions like doesn't like taste, dislikes the smoke, mouth tastes bad when kissing and the like would be the norm for disapproval than any health problem caused by it. People die from gazillions of nasty stuff anyways so how tobacco could be singled out(if it is dangerous in Geas)?

Then again, we are more comfortable with what we are familiar with so I guess I'd enjoy seeing a long-term smoker displaying some of the health issues associated with smoking but connecting the dots between the health issues and smoking should be a long shot.

An unrelated thought..."Social problems on Forostar". Think about it, beer is dirt cheap and forests are literally full of narcotics. Where are all the soggy drunkards and drug abusers?

Zehren
Overlord

#9 Post by Zehren » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am

Delia wrote:The point of my musing is that can only tobacco be successfully be put into the pipe and smoked?

But in general I think smoking could be generally accepted with only some minor dissident voices against smoking. Some varying personal opinions like doesn't like taste, dislikes the smoke, mouth tastes bad when kissing and the like would be the norm for disapproval than any health problem caused by it. People die from gazillions of nasty stuff anyways so how tobacco could be singled out(if it is dangerous in Geas)?

Then again, we are more comfortable with what we are familiar with so I guess I'd enjoy seeing a long-term smoker displaying some of the health issues associated with smoking but connecting the dots between the health issues and smoking should be a long shot.

An unrelated thought..."Social problems on Forostar". Think about it, beer is dirt cheap and forests are literally full of narcotics. Where are all the soggy drunkards and drug abusers?
Beer quality is reflected in price XD
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Drayn
Hero

#10 Post by Drayn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 am

Delia wrote:Where are all the soggy drunkards and drug abusers?
Naarved

Delia
Overlord

#11 Post by Delia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 am

Skragna
Champion

#12 Post by Skragna » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 am

Speaking of vaan and pipes... Why can't we smoke some of the herbs of the game? I'd love to have one of my characters smoke vaan for a very good RP reason, and the only reason he does not do so is because I honestly don't know how I can pretend to do it without coded support.

Zehren
Overlord

#13 Post by Zehren » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Skragna wrote:Speaking of vaan and pipes... Why can't we smoke some of the herbs of the game? I'd love to have one of my characters smoke vaan for a very good RP reason, and the only reason he does not do so is because I honestly don't know how I can pretend to do it without coded support.
emote stuffs his pipe full of vaan, lights it on fire and throws the ashen pipe away?

Skragna
Champion

#14 Post by Skragna » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Which would give me no code support at all... I would prefer actually getting some minor code support for it.

Zehren
Overlord

#15 Post by Zehren » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Skragna wrote:Which would give me no code support at all... I would prefer actually getting some minor code support for it.
Why? Although I agree code support can be neat, what is hard with emoting drug (ab)use?

Skragna
Champion

#16 Post by Skragna » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm

I want him to have to spend the coin on buying the pipe, and having to actually find the vaan he smokes.

Delia
Overlord

#17 Post by Delia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:26 pm

You can buy a pipe and you either buy the vaan from the herbalist or search for it.

Drayn
Hero

#18 Post by Drayn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 am

Then eat the vaan:

eat vaan

You eat a vaan

alias smokevaan emote after chewing on the vaan for a while Bert spits out a mushy pulp which he squeezes dry and sticks in his pipe.

Then just smoke with regular tobacco. This way you convey you've mixed in the herb with tobacco and have a little coded support via the alias system :)

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 pm

what we're trying to say is anything is possible with http://tinyurl.com/3rterja
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

isengoo
Champion

#20 Post by isengoo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Personally I don't understand why tobacco isn't sold in the Underground. Dwarves are all about smoking, it's one of the things that makes them so cool.