Use of Mercenaries

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

louis
Champion

Re: Use of Mercenaries

#61 Post by louis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

ganandorf wrote:If your advice is to scout every exit before moving, I'm afraid I wont have enough mana for that.
No, my advice is simply, either to give up this wrong assumption of total safety and be careful, or to accept in advance that your char might be future protagonist in some very serious accidents.
ganandorf wrote:As well perhaps the adjacent room warning for crusader watchtowers should be removed, or an adjacent room warning added for revenants or golems, just to even the field.
Well, watchtowers are quite high, and also oversee quite a lot ... revs and golems are not that tall right now to my knowledge ... but if you desire 20 meters high golems and revs instead, I would totally agree that they should be seen from the adjactent rooms then... ;)

adanath
Champion

#62 Post by adanath » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 pm

it could be *you sense a very evil presence to your <dir>*

you sense a strong magical presence to your <dir>

I am not neccessarily advocating just throwing out there.

Nonetheless, it does make things quite difficult right now, but as players grow and the good side builds, I think the prevalance of such things go away. The pendulum does swing.

(I only say this because I have had multiple years where I was the one being complained about and the Sathos were dying continually)

I will say that Revenants provide an obstacle unlike most in game..knowing they block now (as they have blocked Adanath) and it is at least a 20 minute fight with multiple strong chars (hoping sathos don't come by)..heh, but I like the dynamics of the game, if everything were static, then all of my deaths would be due to not paying attention instead of just 90%

ganandorf
Overlord

#63 Post by ganandorf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm

The "temporary imbalance" has lasted for months now. A kind of change warning of revenants doesnt have to be permanent, just until the pendulum swings.

And obviously the revenant warning would be an OOC mechanism rather than a strictly "realistic" IC one.
Meow

louis
Champion

#64 Post by louis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:45 pm

adanath wrote:I will say that Revenants provide an obstacle unlike most in game..knowing they block now (as they have blocked Adanath) and it is at least a 20 minute fight with multiple strong chars (hoping sathos don't come by)..heh, but I like the dynamics of the game, if everything were static, then all of my deaths would be due to not paying attention instead of just 90%
I mean I recently watched a fight - some asrals, adanath and trisket I mean to recall - taking down a rev, two ghouls? and x insects (didn't count them) in 5-7 minutes?

EDIT: Of course Revs are strong, they re supposed to - but quite handleable with a suitbale team as it seems, no?

adanath
Champion

#65 Post by adanath » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 pm

louis wrote:
adanath wrote:I will say that Revenants provide an obstacle unlike most in game..knowing they block now (as they have blocked Adanath) and it is at least a 20 minute fight with multiple strong chars (hoping sathos don't come by)..heh, but I like the dynamics of the game, if everything were static, then all of my deaths would be due to not paying attention instead of just 90%
I mean I recently watched a fight - some asrals, adanath and trisket I mean to recall - taking down a rev, two ghouls? and x insects (didn't count them) in 5-7 minutes?
Heh I am speaking from personal experience, that fight was great, but most of the time if it is me and one other crusader or two it is fight for 5 minutes, rest for five minutes about three times so 15-20 I would say..

You have to remember (we have lacked people on the curing side) which makes a huge difference (in that battle holy word was curing from three priests at the same time).

I am not complaining, I amjust stating :). I love the evil side and am of the personal opinion of when some of the up and coming good chars (of which there are a lot) get a bit bigger many such issues will be alleviated.

(throw two clerics in with mathias rex and adan 5 minute rev kill instead :))

I was just proffering suggestions..revenants are beastly and can kill small chars quickly..right now there are a lot of small chars...most the time you don't have the 3-5 experienced chars you need to take a rev down..(To be fair, I can take a revenant down solo, I just need a couple bones and about 30 minutes)

louis
Champion

#66 Post by louis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

adanath wrote:I am not complaining, I amjust stating :).
Oh, I know :)

adanath
Champion

#67 Post by adanath » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 pm

louis wrote:
adanath wrote:I am not complaining, I amjust stating :).
Oh, I know :)
For the record and the history books it was 482 ghouls.

rex
Veteran

#68 Post by rex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

I don't think there is a problem with the difficulty of the trap or where they are (yes multiple mercenaries in a room would make it very challenging).

I have two problems with what was done:

1) The mercenary that was used is not a Sathonite, therefore the undeads would autokill the mercenary as soon as the leader left the room. If I walk in that same room with the same mercenary the undeads will auto attack it. Given the Sathonite who made the undeads is not in the room to protect him the undeads will see him as an enemy.

2) The mercenary would leave very shorty after the guy who hired him left and logged off (he would not sit around undeads for 3 IG days for example)

And I also disagree with what people were saying previously, mercenaries are not overpowerful. If they were more people would use them.

Reptar
Journeyman

#69 Post by Reptar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

If the wizards were serious about placing a warning of a revenant one room over, maybe it could be their terrible smell they give off. Or some -powerful grunts- in whatever direction they hear it from. I don't know, though I bet it might make a lot of the people here happy if this was considered.

Whenever I watch a movie or tv show dealing with zombies, generally they're kind of vocal and just growl and breath heavily and just smell a lot, which usually warns the survivors of them being there. So maybe it would be the revenant that would smell/grunt a lot since it's just that beastly and terrifying rather than having all the undead like this.

But yeah, just a thought.

Zehren
Overlord

#70 Post by Zehren » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:46 pm

adanath wrote:it could be *you sense a very evil presence to your <dir>*

you sense a strong magical presence to your <dir>

I am not neccessarily advocating just throwing out there.

Nonetheless, it does make things quite difficult right now, but as players grow and the good side builds, I think the prevalance of such things go away. The pendulum does swing.

(I only say this because I have had multiple years where I was the one being complained about and the Sathos were dying continually)

I will say that Revenants provide an obstacle unlike most in game..knowing they block now (as they have blocked Adanath) and it is at least a 20 minute fight with multiple strong chars (hoping sathos don't come by)..heh, but I like the dynamics of the game, if everything were static, then all of my deaths would be due to not paying attention instead of just 90%
Presuming layfolk with little to no magical practise would sense anything :/
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ganandorf
Overlord

#71 Post by ganandorf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

The warning would be an "ooc" feature, just like in reality, a sathonite wouldnt discriminate whether or not noobs can be killed, but because this is a GAME there is an "ooc" rule that noob killing is lame as balls.
Meow

Zehren
Overlord

#72 Post by Zehren » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:25 am

ganandorf wrote:The warning would be an "ooc" feature, just like in reality, a sathonite wouldnt discriminate whether or not noobs can be killed, but because this is a GAME there is an "ooc" rule that noob killing is lame as balls.
This is noob discrimination! Noobs are people to! They deserve to be treated as such, and not as dainty fairies! :mrgreen:
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!