Hunting mobs - and it's roleplay implications

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

glorfindel
Hero

Hunting mobs - and it's roleplay implications

#1 Post by glorfindel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 am

Hey,

I think I'm holding the can of worms here, esp. as there are many different opinions floating around this mud, so please, if you comment on this thread, keep the flaming away. Thanks

My gripe, ever since I started playing this mud, is the issue with 'hunting' mobs. I do not think any person living in the mud would be voluntarily hunting things for their training. Personally, I'll not tell anybody what to do, I accept how they treat this, but for me personally, I'd like my character to have a solid explanation when he goes to slaughter a group of mobs, though I fail short on that sometimes.

So, I've been wondering, how one does go about it. I think Sathonites/Crusaders/Taniels/Asrals have it easiest on there, as they are practically made to hunt things down. (Sathos: rule the world, Taniels: destroy evil, Crussies: destroy evil, asrals: fight challengin battles).

But what about the rest of us ? Why does your character seek to destroy a certain group of mobs ?

For example, it's rather easy for me to explain why Glorfindel would be fighting undeads or tcharks, or even the orcs in the tower or the cyclops... but I can see little reason why he would go to find some halforcs. Keeping things vague, to not spoil IC reasoning.

For those who believe that this is the wrong way to go about it, that you should think about what your character would do instead of what you want to do, I agree, partially. Still, in the end it is you defining how your character functions and this specific thing is something that bites me often.

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Hunting mobs - and it's roleplay implications

#2 Post by Zehren » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 am

glorfindel wrote:For those who believe that this is the wrong way to go about it, that you should think about what your character would do instead of what you want to do, I agree, partially. Still, in the end it is you defining how your character functions and this specific thing is something that bites me often.
My characters behave very differently from first intended, since they have grown. Sometimes with some nudging from me, sometimes without any nudging, really.

I have similar gripes with hunting mobs. (Ignoring quests) Zehren never goes out with the explicit goal of killing humanoids/goblinoids, but might decide to come along if someone else plans to, to help protect them. (WITH MUSIC AND ARCHERY. WOOOH.)

In regards to quests (which I really dislike OOC, but can't be helped it seems,) and specific events/occurances, Zehren does not shy away from doing whatever he deems necessary.

Undead, of course, Zehren will decide to release from their torment anytime.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:08 am

I think this is also one of those things that is dictated(partly)by the time you are willing to invest and what you wish to accomplish. Do you wish to roleplay a great warrior? Well, you simply cannot log in and start roleplaying a great warrior because this is a computer game with its own clear set of rules(code). You do not wish to take forever to play this great warrior? You have to play by the rules and go kill stuff(grind).

Old, established characters have it easy as we do not have to go through that process or we simply have haunted the mud for so long the skills could not have helped but to rise and thus we can show "more logic and restraint" in how we manage our characters.

A tricky subject, in a way.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 am

Although I might have explored almost every nook and cranny there is, guilds have dictated for me atleast where I kill stuff.

Legion was directed towards the west with all the background in fighting with the Horde and all the in-game events thay have happened. Patrolling the Amward was alwaysa good and reasonable choice. Delia still goes out of habit to take a peek what those filthy animals are scheming now from time to time.

With the background established in the Legion, Shao training was done following old habits with fighting the undead becoming more pronounced as rank was reached. At somepoint the undead were the primary foe.

Now...fighting stuff is rare compared to those old days. Magic takes a lot of time for Delia. Though sometimes you have to find a subject to experiment your spells on. Friendly neighbourhood orcs are always more than willing participants :twisted:
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

arxthas
Hero

#5 Post by arxthas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 pm

glorfindel wrote:But what about the rest of us ? Why does your character seek to destroy a certain group of mobs ?
For Arx specifically, it's part of the job to patrol..

If yould have asked me a few years ago, I would have said that I tried to motivate to myself even visiting a different city. Say I played an elf. I would require myself to have a strong reason to even travel to Arborea or the Underground. I would not simply leave Elvandar out of curiosity. Not so hardcore these days, sadly. Environment issues.

But yes, I totally agree on this general issue. One path to becoming a warrior is (IMHO), learning to fight through sparring. As a noble you could afford a trainer. Or as a peasant you could e.g. join the Crusade. My answer is actually: dont do it.. It sucks because you get no skills. But it's Right. Everyone should always have reasons for what they do.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I completely understand why this question might be asked.

I think the question for most people (me included) is answered by the fact that they find hunting mobs fun OOC. So they make their character like it IC.

I try to work in why my characters might like to hunt, but probably for all of them, except the ones in the guilds mentioned, probably have very weak reasons for wanting to hunt.

Most of the reason I hear today is "I want to learn to protect myself from Sathonites"... so the character proceeds to kill hundreds of greenskins to learn how to fight because it is the most efficient way. In reality they would probably take some fighting classes by sparring or such.

I really think if more people think this is a good issue to fix, we could solve it by hosting many more sparring tournaments and or having schools to teach fighting.

Maybe a command to let Luminier "toggle fight at 50%" so I only fight half as well as normal to help newbies learn the basics... or something.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

glorfindel
Hero

#7 Post by glorfindel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:07 pm

I think we're all thinking amongst roughly the same lines here.

As for sparring, you would be surprised how few people of higher skill are actually
willing to spar.

I think, especially monks, do practice more in a sparring then actually kill somebody. If it were my sole choice, I'd also see the possibility to do training by yourself, at least in martial arts, that is something very possible. But sparring and extended training lessons would maybe be something that would make a lot of sense. For example, offered by the crusade to those who help defend elvandar.

I can see the clergy of Asral doing the same for Arborea, to some extend. What's better then to pick a few good ones for clergy service then to have them in sparrings?

Both the group hosting the training as well as the people participating gain:

- Public recognition by those who do well and you got guild members on hand to
talk to them and glimpse past the motives behind the blade.
- The guild (I see there mainly Asrals/Crussies, the others not so much) would be
able to pick up those who can handle themselves eventually to examine more closely.

Gain for everybody.

And, if you assume a medieval style setting, in my mind, if I were to fight a strong capable lad or lass to join my battling group of warriors, where would I look? The next tournament, not the local temple.

So I think, it might be more things possible to do in that regard, if we find more then a few voices interested in this. And ... then, a little code support might help (though not exactly needed). And for those who would wish to see less weak guided mob slaughtery, maybe IC some things can be worked out to gain sparring (that, of course, mostly applies to those that have sworn to protect their cities, but there a plentiful to pick from).

Just my 2cc

Allurana
Hero

#8 Post by Allurana » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Probably safe to say most do it for the OOC knowledge that it's the main way to improve one's combat skills. So I would agree that determining some sort of IC reasoning behind it would be nice for roleplay.

adanath
Champion

#9 Post by adanath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 am

All of you who are worried about it become Crusaders, then it is perfect roleplay :)

Come join!

Do it!
Do it.

fernao
Champion

#10 Post by fernao » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am

You can also always ask the dark brethren in the north. :twisted:

Won't cost you much.... at most your soul.
Life is but a butterflies dream

adanath
Champion

#11 Post by adanath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am

fernao wrote:You can also always ask the dark brethren in the north. :twisted:

Lies! She's a Witch!

fernao
Champion

#12 Post by fernao » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 am

adanath wrote:

Lies! She's a Witch!
She :?:

adanath
Champion

#13 Post by adanath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm

fernao wrote:
adanath wrote:

Lies! She's a Witch!
She :?:
Monty reference apologies, it seemed more appropriate. I stand by it!

Reptar
Journeyman

#14 Post by Reptar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

For Reptar, I roleplayed him to be a greedy dwarf, where time is money, and there's money in killing and scalping mobs. But I might change my reason to go hunting though.

Aturshus
Veteran

#15 Post by Aturshus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Aturshus can barely stomach hunting goblinoids, but he reasons that they would probably kill others if he didn't kill them, and so he manages to get through the day. Often he will refuse a hunt though, as well.

Aslak
Master

#16 Post by Aslak » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 am

As an Asral the reason to hunt is quite easy. To gain glory for your god and strengthen his power on Forostar.
But I do tend to hunt things that get dangerous for me if possible and not those that are easy to kill or get coins easily, as nibblers or gremlins do.
Beside, getting coins from hunting is a lot harder when your god dislikes desecration of any kind of fallen foes, so this is not my main hunting reason.

fernao
Champion

#17 Post by fernao » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:44 am

Clerics have quite an easy reason for hunting, raising the earthly power by their killings and following rituals. Followers of the three deities can therefore arguably assist the cleric in his work and therefor help their own deity as well.

Liranne
Beginner

#18 Post by Liranne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 am

I hate grinding. As I played and continued to play Lira, I found that the fair game pk rule was well... rubbish. I don't know if staff have intervened and enforced this but grinding became the means to which you could even step out the gates and live. Even then you mysteriously passed someone in the area and less than 5 minutes later a group of enemies show up to kill you. I justify my character's training as the work of her God. I am not a fan of it but given my character's profession, it's s necessary evil

ceinna
Veteran

#19 Post by ceinna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Yes I realize its late but hey I just got back.

For Cei, going through a period of darkness so long ago really changed who she was. She went from being this poetic lover of everyone to being more honest and realistic about the world around her (although her views are still rather skewed and unique). But she hunts goblinoids and will all day because to her, doing so is defending the innocents that those goblins would eventually harm. She thinks that keeping all lands free of evil is part of what she is supposed to do as a ranger, and has even become almost zealous of it. Right now, there are other ic reasons she fights, that she will readily share if you ask her in character, but I don't feel they have a place here on the ooc forums :wink: Those who are close to her right now understand that she's rather mentally unstable

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#20 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Obviously I haven't played a physically-oriented character in a while now, so I might be mistaken on this but...

Wouldn't there be a problem with people only sparring as their training?

While they would, yes, improve their combat skills, wouldn't they not get the stat xp gained from killing mobs?

Or is sparring just as good as combat xp in stat-increasing terms? Have I completely forgotten how this system works in Geas? Probably.

By the way, I think it would be awesome if most more 'average' type characters tended to prefer a training regimen that was mostly sparring and actual instruction-based lessons and activities lead by their superiors. Or, in the case of non-guild characters, lead by someone they've met that takes them under their wing, so to speak. That'd be super duper.