Really dwarvish dwarves

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Drayn
Hero

Really dwarvish dwarves

#1 Post by Drayn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello. I was kicking about on the net and got to reading a Khuzdul dictionary. There was a whole section on words that meant perfect/pure/true <somethings> and it got me thinking about dwarf culture.

Long story short, I came up with a sort of code of conduct that might make for interesting RP. I've written it up as a sort of quasi-religious doctrine, a bit like the 5 K's of Sikhism. In practice, this is the sort of thing that would likely hold differing levels of adherence by most dwarves. Younger, more modern dwarves would likely stick only to the major points, or pay them lip service. Older more traditional dwarves are likely to observe the whole list in full, with a more religious fervor. A bit like Victorian table manners; most folks would agree that chewing with your mouth open is gross, but showing your teeth isn't such a big deal these days.

Anyhoo, here's what I've got:

THE SAN'KHADAR, PERFECT FOUNDATIONS, OF SAN'KHUZD, TRUE DWARVES:

SAN'ULGAN - PERFECT GOD
Zhakrin is our creator and provides what we need. To not give praise is to be ungrateful.

SAN'ZHAHYAD - PERFECT RESPECT
A true dwarf is always respectful, even to foreigners. He bends at his neck only for allies, his waist only for leaders and his knee only for kin.
He shuns only his enemies, but calls only true kin friend.

SAN'HURM - PERFECT HONOUR
The word of a true dwarf is worth more than gold until it is broken. A wealthy dwarf without honour is a rich beggar. It is better to never make an oath than to break an oath.

SAN'AZAGH - PERFECT WAR
The affairs of foreigners are their own. A true dwarf takes up arms only to defend his own people but does not turn away allies to a common foe. A dwarf is always ready to defend themselves or their kin.

SAN'BARUF - PERFECT FAMILY
The blood of dwarves is continued by dwarves. Those who dilute their blood with foreigners, shame their family.

SAN'LAGAB - PERFECT TONGUE
A true dwarf speaks only the language of his people. Those who wish to parlay with dwarves, should show respect by using our tongue.

SAN'MUNZ - PERFECT ROOF
A true dwarf should be born beneath the earth and make his home beneath the earth. He does not tolerate to sleep under an open sky.

SAN'TORVA - PERFECT CRAFT
Dwarves are the masters of metal and stone. Those who cannot work a forge or swing a pick are not dwarf.

SAN'TURG - PERFECT BEARD
The whole of the body is perfect as Zhakrin intended. To shave your beard or your hair is to deface yourself.

SAN'ABLUG - PERFECT FOOD
Eat that food which grows and lives in darkness, just as the true dwarf does.
Last edited by Drayn on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Really dwarvish dwarves

#2 Post by Zehren » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 am

I would now roll a dwarf, if I had any patience for levelling characters. Really neat.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am

This is both really good and really interesting! When Delia was the speaker of the monks I incorporated some buddhism and stuff by having her write a couple of books, things like the noble eightfold path which consists of:

The right view
The right intention
The right speech
The right action
The right livelihood
The right effort
The right mindfulness
The right concentration

Geographically speaking it would be really interesting having these two ways of living co-exist and it kinda would make sense as well.

Anyways, I once had a fantasy about creating a dwarf based on Dwarf Fortress. Now with this as an added base it is really tempting but I have to agree with Zehren, I have little interest in leveling up another character beyond newbie levels.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ferranifer
Champion

#4 Post by ferranifer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:49 am

This is very neat indeed. Do you think you could come up with something similar for Elves? It sounds to me as if they are also a kind of civilization that would have pretty advanced rules of conduct and mannerism.

Drayn
Hero

#5 Post by Drayn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 am

Well, there is already the Taniel Codex of Order which would seem to be pretty central to elven life.

I've tweaked a the list a bit. Wasn't happy with my justification for san'ablug and wanted to reflect a reason why dwarves are practically always well armed and armoured with san'azagh.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Drayn you are such a cool guy. Thanks!

Dwarves are by far my favourite fantasy race. I wish they existed in real life
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

fernao
Champion

#7 Post by fernao » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 am

Problem with the Taniel codex for elves is that it is not available to those that have no access to Elvandar and lost their access prior to the introduction of the Codex.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Drayn
Hero

#8 Post by Drayn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Your friendly neighbourhood Cleric or Crusader will happily stuff it down your heathenous throat :D

It'd make sense that such expelled elves would probably be out of touch with society etiquette.

ferranifer
Champion

#9 Post by ferranifer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Drayn wrote:Your friendly neighbourhood Cleric or Crusader will happily stuff it down your heathenous throat :D

It'd make sense that such expelled elves would probably be out of touch with society etiquette.
Not really. You'd expect such etiquette to have been in place for centuries, specially for elves. Besides that, that's IC and this forums aren't. If you choose to talk here about dwarves with dwarves and non dwarves alike, you should have no problem talking about elves as well.

Drayn
Hero

#10 Post by Drayn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Well true, I COULD talk about elves, but...it's not my job? ;)

Zehren
Overlord

#11 Post by Zehren » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 am

Rules of Elven society:

Unity and order - perfect order and unity:
All elves were made by Taniel, and are as such perfect, and ordered. Instead of adressing such issues as perfect beings being subverted to gods of death and chaos, or the constant squibbling in Gwenlanea's new council, they must present an united front by ignoring these issues.

Longevity - perfect immortality:
Elves are all agewise immortal, like the lobster, and must showcase this at all times by referring to members of other races as 'mortals', or by saying things such as "it's all so fleeting". They must celebrate their immortality by constantly putting their life in mortal danger.

Curvaceousness - perfect cleavage:
Elves are all feminine in appearance, and must add to this impression by always showing cleavage - even the men.

Etiquette - perfect behaviour:
Elves all know how to behave the best, and must never go naked in public or make bawdy jokes. Except after they die - at which time they must RUN through the entire city and quickly return to their corpse, instead of stopping by the nearest tailor.

Breeding - perfect bloodline:
Elves must never shag humans while in heat. Elves who do so must forever suffer sideways glances, and not, say, whiplashes or imprisonment or death. Because that would be barbaric.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!