Rooouggges

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Rooouggges

#21 Post by luminier » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 am

Alright guys, it's getting a bit personal in here. It is a topic about the rogues, but if you want to have an OOC chat about who screwed over who, take it to OOC chat.

I just want to say that I believe Olrane is consistently hitting the nail on the head as to what the problem is.

The sad part is I don't really see a way to make it any better. It seems to be just a fact of life in this game. If you are a known thief your "life" is over. The end.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Allalltar
Master

#22 Post by Allalltar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 am

Please remember you are playing a game WITH each other, not against each other. There should always be a thought or two spent before actually screwing over a char completely.

OOC, it's sometimes very easy to realize who's a thief or not, esp. if you played one yourself in the past. This is OOC knowledge, you can not just make it 'IC facts'. IF there's one halfling going into the city and a completely different one coming out of the city a few minutes later, that's no proof they have to be the same.

NOR is the same clothing or similar poorly backed explanation. Heck, there's a whole army of people running around in the same set of robes.

luminier
Overlord

#23 Post by luminier » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Just to bring this up again...

I feel like some people are just plain unfairly targeted over a long period of time.

I really like what Allalltar said, I think we all need give it a second read. We need to remember the feelings of the players when we do things in game. People have invested months and years in some characters... you don't need to completely ruin it for them.

Thieving REALLY needs to be dealt less harshly with than murder. Like is stealing gold really on par with killing someone? butchering them? sacrificing them to an unholy god? Not in my opinion.

Take it easy on the thieves. They have a hard time, they just wanna have fun like the rest of us, make some easy gold and pinch some bottoms.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Rudolpho
Professional

#24 Post by Rudolpho » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:05 pm

The issues with playing a Rogue in Geas are entirely cultural. It's merely the player base and its behavior that makes it difficult.

Like Luminier said, petty theft is not tantamount to murder or ritualistic sacrifice et al, but in Geas it's treated far worse. I've used this analogy before, and I shall do it again. Jean Veljean is NOT Jack the Ripper. The Artful Dodger is NOT Albert Fish.

I assume it's because players treat dying as nothing... they can always get resurrected... guaranteed, but their possessions aren't so easily replaced. It's for the reason I've -always- been very conscientious about player theft. I've never broken into an inn room. Never. I've only ever stolen from players three times. Twice from the same person. Each time was for very specific RP reasons. I hate the notion of stealing from players just because. If it doesn't progress actual RP, I'm not interested. There's plenty of NPCs to steal from for skill gains and money, and players get unreasonably butt-hurt when robbed. Any other rogue players (if you actually knew them) would back me up on this. Player theft is for RP, not mechanical gain in my philosophy.

So it really gets on my nerves when I go out of my way to be conscientious to the player base, and a few horse's asses won't extend the same courtesy. Everyone wants to think of themselves as the hero and for their own gain. None want to think about what their actions do to other players or the game as whole. So let's treat thieves worse than Satho Priests... they don't have miracles and are easier to kill right? Hell, the Satho didn't take my Thurse Blade; they only killed me. New life is free, but a those swords are hard to get. What? There's been a spree of inn room robberies? Well, it can't have been five or more separate people doing it.. (trust me... it was at least five different people...) no... let's just blame them all on the one person we suspect is a thief OOC. Has to be that one character... I'm Sherlock Holmes here!

It's selfish behavior by people who think they -know- something when in fact they haven't got the slightest clue.

End of Rant.

Jack

glorfindel
Hero

#25 Post by glorfindel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:03 am

Hi,

I can relate to every thief player here. There's been time's where people were really asking to have themselves thrown into a snake pit for their robberies, but that was years ago. Ever since I've returned to the game three years ago, I've seen the thief folk being nothing but decent. Yet I've witnessed a LOT of aggression and unwaranted aggression at that, as soon as there was the slightest suspicion about being a thief.

I wonder where this 'death means nothing' attitude comes from. For me, a death usually means limping for three to four OOC weeks... it's driving me nuts. Besides, heck, you just _died_, take it serious please. A miracle that brought you back to life, nothing to shrug of for your char, but actually the greatest thing there is.

As for how people treat thieves, depends entirely on the faction, but for most factions the death priest should be the bigger offense, always. Some factions might just shrug off the thief entirely, others might go like "REPENT YOUR SINS" on a rogue, most people might just be wary about them.

I mean, even if a rogue is way less a criminal then a death priest, people will not like them. Why should they?

At the end, as usually, it boils down to play the game with people instead of against them. Something that seems very easy to forget, sadly :/