Superstitions

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Melendil
Veteran

Superstitions

#1 Post by Melendil » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone plays characters with superstitions. Any weird little quirks they believe brings them luck (or avoids bad luck). Do you as a player ever eschew a mechanical advantage in favour of RPing a certain superstition? What superstitions do you think might be common to the various cultures of Forostar?

One of mine is I'll avoid using "bad names" (esp. Lilith and Sathonys) and try to act out my discomfort at people using them.

Laewyloth
Journeyman

Re: Superstitions

#2 Post by Laewyloth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Lae -absolutely- detests carrots and believes they're evil, when included in soups. To the point, where I legitimately 'left' some RP in a huff, because people weren't taking me seriously.

Same thing with the ocean or large bodies of water. Lae only 'swims' in safe places, or with others around him - and is not overly fond of beaches as they're "Far too close to the water".

Can't think of any real -mechanical- superstitions of note for me though :3 it's a neat idea!

Things I've seen / think are neat superstitions:
  • Not saying Sathonys (both out of fear, and out of 'respect')
  • Always keeping a blade perfectly sharp (i.e. sharpening after every fight, no matter what)
  • Not venturing into the Perfect/Imperfect forest at night
  • Making a 'warding sign' against evil/good when someone mentions something scary or scandalous (think people making the sign of the cross, in RL)
  • Leaving a single coin inside of corpses.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:35 am

I always did the "do not utter names in vain" thing. Do not call out to someone if you do not want to attract attention!

I also did "power behind words" which ties to the first. Promises bind you to people and breaking that bond can have unforeseen consequences.

I also played that my character had a titular geas - a curse from Taniel. My character was forbidden to lie or else.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Israfel
Veteran

#4 Post by Israfel » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:57 am

A good one is interpretting extreme weather occurances as the hand of god. Get hit by hail? The gods/your god must be displeased with your actions. Others get hit but you are unscathed? The gods approve of whatever you're doing.

ferranifer
Champion

#5 Post by ferranifer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:55 am

I've always reprimanded people for using the Magik language to speak about non magical things, specially people that are not trained magicians.
This is because the core concept of magic in Geas is to manifest things by sheer willpower. The Magik language is designed for putting thoughts into action so someone could make magic happen by accident, specially under situations of heavy emotional load. The fact that you can cast spells by uttering their runes in the middle of sentences reinforces this idea :)

Arsicas
Master

#6 Post by Arsicas » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:51 pm

ferranifer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:55 am I've always reprimanded people for using the Magik language to speak about non magical things, specially people that are not trained magicians.
This is because the core concept of magic in Geas is to manifest things by sheer willpower. The Magik language is designed for putting thoughts into action so someone could make magic happen by accident, specially under situations of heavy emotional load. The fact that you can cast spells by uttering their runes in the middle of sentences reinforces this idea :)
I was going to say, I don't know if this is a superstition so much as a thing that might actually happen. :P I've definitely seen some mages taking not speaking mundane stuff in magik or not actually speaking the runes unless intending to cast something more seriously.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.