Unending outlawry

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

ghalt
Master

Re: Unending outlawry

#21 Post by ghalt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:43 pm

Yeah... people know Aisa can disguise because poIsengorn told everyone in the discord.

Lauriert
Master

#22 Post by Lauriert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:45 pm

People are gonna believe that they want to believe. Some people play and accept it differently. I think bad rp isn't that people would look at these things as possible evidence. Bad rp is if everyone and their mother instantly believed it. The evidence isn't the rp, it's how people take it. Take Lauriert for example. There's a big part of him that believes Aisa is genuinely kind and innocent. He sees the evidence for what it is, and he acknowledges the possibility, but he knows it's definitely not a sure thing. At this point though, he's not entirely sure who's telling the truth anymore. But, that being said, bad rp would be if he went from "Aisa is being mistreated... I feel really bad." to "Wow, Aisa is evil and I hate her." from flimsy evidence like that.

I'm not on the discord, so I know nothing of what poIsengorn said.

ila
Master

#23 Post by ila » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm

gone
Last edited by ila on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lauriert
Master

#24 Post by Lauriert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:51 pm

If that actually happens, you can't really blame the people who learn of it ICly. They're not the ones metagaming if they just happen to hear it.

If you talk about your character's actions OOC, I as a player will tend to believe you because there's no reason to lie about it, because information discussed here should never be used ICly.
Last edited by Lauriert on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arsicas
Master

#25 Post by Arsicas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

ila wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm How many people metagaming does it take for something to enter IC belief?

If player X finds out from OOC sources, and says it ICly to players Y/Z, suddenly they believe it came from IC sources.
Yeah, that's sort of the problem. I now have some information IC that probably entered the realm of IC due to people using OOC information.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

Ioca
Professional

#26 Post by Ioca » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm

Either which way it goes, this thread is about outlawry being unending.

If I still have access to disguises at all (uh, maybe I got sick of geniuses knowing everything and found a better guild?) I likely don't even use them, or probably won't even use them, because it's pointless as described above in all those posts.

I'm curious how long it'll be until people start saying Aisa's in the order now, haha. That aside, hopefully we're back to unending outlawry, which is unfun.

Lauriert
Master

#27 Post by Lauriert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:06 pm

The topic diversion seemed to boil down to "Don't use OOC information ICly." My only comment on that is "DUH"

Zehren
Overlord

#28 Post by Zehren » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:42 am

Outlawries aren't unending. They're self-perpetuating as soon as someone decides 'well I'm an outlaw, better start acting like one'.

Ending an outlawry requires:
1) Accepting the state of things, whether fair or unfair
2) Stop committing new crimes that feed the outlawry, aka show that the outlawry is unwarranted through action
3) Communicate and make amends, possibly involving some big punishments and some time

There are simple ways to force the hands of the goodies IG. I know, because that's what Skeltima did back in the day when it was time to end her outlawry.
In fact, it's harder to force Arborean/Asralite hands than Elvandarian/Tanielite/Evrenite hands. After all, Tanielites/Evrenites are good and hence bound by those moral codes. (Asralites also are bound by a moral code, of course, but it's a more flexible one.)

Note that forcing someone's hand doesn't necessarily look like a powerful position.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ila
Master

#29 Post by ila » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 am

gone
Last edited by ila on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delmon
Champion

#30 Post by Delmon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:55 am

I agree with Zehren, you have to be willing to take the punishments to get back into the city. The side with leverage and control has to be willing (in time) to provide some sort of punishment that works and not just say “screw them.” I found that there has been some memorable punishments to get my char back into the cities as well as out of the “kill cycle” over time and I always appreciated the goodie or players with power that did so. At the end the day it’s a game so there’s a good balance somewhere in which you can say “I hate ur chars and what happened and I’m upset” but you’re still cool players, nice job.

Delia
Overlord

#31 Post by Delia » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:37 am

All should also remember that good in Geas is not how we view good. Infact it can often be as oppressive and suffocating as what evil could usually be viewed as. What is good for Taniel can be poison for everyone else not working with them. It is not hard to navigate though. You just need some humility and willingness to cooperate and compromise as a player. In the end, outlawry is just a small sidestory quickly forgotten in favour of other stories in the Geas grand soap opera.

There have been enough from outlaw to saint to outlaw back again and again to something else stories to make your head spin!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ila
Master

#32 Post by ila » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:58 am

gone
Last edited by ila on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delmon
Champion

#33 Post by Delmon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:22 am

Agreed. I’d rather call it negotiation. You can still hate their guts IC but work something out. From experience, it works... also it’s a fluid situation, the assumptions and leverage today will not be the same as tomorrow so current negotiations can change. Regardless the underlying premise is that you don’t want the other person to quit and you actually care as a player and want the best for the game, which generally means having more players.

ila
Master

#34 Post by ila » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 am

gone

roxvod
Experienced

#35 Post by roxvod » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:42 am

An IC compromise might be beyond the capability of some individuals, that is an agreeable situation.

An OOC compromise to satisfy everyone involved however is a very valid request to make, and discussions are how to resolve things.

Not having the decency for OOC communication, is inexcusable.

We all play together, after all. :lol:

ila
Master

#36 Post by ila » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 am

gone

Ioca
Professional

#37 Post by Ioca » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:15 pm

frustrated noises

angry message
Last edited by Ioca on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ioca
Professional

#38 Post by Ioca » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:32 pm

gone
Last edited by Ioca on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxvod
Experienced

#39 Post by roxvod » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Please take a break from the game if you're this invested emotionally.

It is obvious you're not having fun.

Learn to roll with it, remember it is merely a form of entertainment.

It is my personal opinion when I say that the way you trying sway OOC opinion with half-baked logs is not working. Please stop.
(Especially when the logs provided are biased in the favour of a single mindset.)

Just :lol: it away.

Ioca
Professional

#40 Post by Ioca » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Nice trolling though <3