Refusal, An Explanation.

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Refusal, An Explanation.

#61 Post by Zehren » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:03 am

Lauriert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 am CIP is caused by abnormalities in brain chemistry. It's an issue ingrained in the DNA of a person essentially, so no amount of new bodies would do anything. You could argue more people should shun him for it I suppose.
There's no established lore saying the DNA remains the same across resurrections, or that DNA even exists :D
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Lauriert
Master

#62 Post by Lauriert » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 am

To be fair, I don't know what CIP is exactly just that it's something wrong in the brain chemistry. Playing this character is honestly a detriment to my OOC goals.
I'm also assuming new bodies are exact replicas of the old one, except temporarily weaker. Right down to your hair length. :)
Last edited by Lauriert on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ferranifer
Champion

#63 Post by ferranifer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:06 am

Lauriert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 am ICly, Lauriert doesn't throw himself per say, he just doesn't really care when it happens so he's inclined to fight Delmon since he feels there's no consequence to it. This actually conflicts with my OOC interest of not wanting to restore his vitality, but, gotta play the character for what I made him for instead of just arbitrarily changing two key parts of his character. The only protest I'd be doing is that I would want nothing to do with a situation where I'm bound to lose no matter how much work I put in and that's what I'm trying to find out.
Lauriert wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am As some of you are aware, I made my intentions clear that I will not be roleplaying with order members in any capacity until that guild is hit with a serious nerf. I have nothing against the players of Order characters personally, I'm simply protesting the state of the game's mechanics.

roxvod
Experienced

#64 Post by roxvod » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:08 am

Lauriert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 am CIP is caused by abnormalities in brain chemistry. It's an issue ingrained in the DNA of a person essentially, so no amount of new bodies would do anything. You could argue more people should shun him for it I suppose.

If you want to hurt him, you have to find other ways to do it besides the incredibly boring "I'm gonna torture you!" or "I'm gonna kill you!"
From an OOC perspective it seems a lot like a coping mechanism to deny victory to people instead of some genuine attempt at a meaningful roleplay act. People are always free to do what they want of course, but from the perspective of things in a world where literal GODS can handwave your state of being a limbless, earless, noseless, toothless nugget on top of giving you an entirely new body from scratch should you lose yours (one where you have to get used to, since it's an entirely different one, source: help Death)... It looks more like some form of lilithian insanity or a curse resulting from heresy unprecedented in the world of GEAS before. In the form of the latter, you should be denied resurrection as well and remain dead.
Lauriert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am He's not immune to death penalties, I still have to restore his vitality when he dies. He just doesn't value his life for complex reasons which developed overtime.
If he doesn't value his life, there should be little reason for him to return to life as per the widely accepted perception of *why* we are granted resurrections. We are souls with lingering desires so strong we cling to life, while the nameless NPC's die, and die and die in the regular circle of life. Not to mention, using their power costs the gods. Evren would surely, eventually, direct poor Lauriert so weary of life to her afterlife and deny him resurrection, because he keeps throwing himself at a spear with no regard for himself, and it is getting costly for her. Also, also not to mention how odd it sounds for an Evrenite to devalue their life enough to dive headfirst to get their head displayed in Asador.

Zehren
Overlord

#65 Post by Zehren » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:12 am

Lauriert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 am To be fair, I don't know what CIP is exactly just that it's something wrong in the brain chemistry. Playing this character is honestly a detriment to my OOC goals.
I'm also assuming new bodies are exact replicas of the old one, except temporarily weaker. Right down to your hair length. :)
The gods are very careful to keep the hair length and beard length the same, as well as certain <spoiler> - but if you've lost an arm or have been cloven in two, of course they'll graciously fix that :D

It'd be funny if you started out bald after each resurrection. Finally long hair becomes respectable! :D
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Lauriert
Master

#66 Post by Lauriert » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am

He clings to life largely because there are people in the world he still wants to see so he lives for them. And sometimes they call him out on his carelessness, and he does actually apologize to them. For the part where he doesn't value himself, that's something Evren more or less would take compassion on him for given the circumstances of what happened to cause that. I'm sure she would offer him the afterlife, but again, aforementioned loved ones. He doesn't really think these things through though.

As to why he'd have CIP, who knows? Maybe Sathonys inflicted it upon him so he would become an outcast and become a fearless servant to him?

ila
Master

#67 Post by ila » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 pm

I don't care about pain immunity itself, one of my favorite comic book movies was Kickass who featured a protagonist with a similar condition... but it's strange you complain about people being unable to lose while roleplaying your character in a similar fashion. Frankly, it seems to me that ICly you cannot ever be defeated, after all you'll just keep coming back no matter what.

Not that strange though, it seems to be a running theme of Geas. Perhaps death penalties are too soft.

Lauriert
Master

#68 Post by Lauriert » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 pm

So for those of you that erroneously believe Delmon is just that much stronger than Lauriert, here's something to make you reconsider.

Their first ever pvp encounter went like this. Delmon finds Lauriert near the Arborea crossing. Delmon tries to be intimidating, I think, by saying "Well look who it is." Lauriert shrugs him off because it's Arborea land and he genuinely doesn't care. Delmon walks away, and Lauriert taunts him over a mind call. Lauriert then saw a masked darkelf following him the Elvandar side of the hills. Now we can safely say Delmon did not buff here, given that he was just standing around Arborea land casually and would not have had time to do so if he wanted to actually catch Lauriert after the taunt. So here's a summary of what happened. I sadly don't have the log because my computer broke that day and couldn't paste anything.

Lauriert draws his sword, Delmon draws his spear and blocks the north exit.
Lauriert attacks first, getting a successful feint and getting a solid cut into Delmon's neck.
Delmon attacks with a thrust which Lauriert -dodges- (For those who aren't aware, armored characters rarely dodge anything, preferring to parry. If an armor character dodges an attack, it means the enemy they're fighting shouldn't even attempt to do so.)
Delmon attempts a gore, which Lauriert parries.
The patrol shows up, and Delmon flees.
Lauriert taunts Delmon once again and hurries to Elvandar, believing Delmon is likely planning a backstab.

Given that Lauriert was statistically weaker at this point (I think close to forceful and very close to acrobatic), and Delmon has been shown to kill Lauriert and the patrol with ease, this interaction makes little sense. Unless there's a certain buff making Delmon seem much more powerful than he really is...

And before anyone says anything, no this isn't an accusation of cheating. This is meant to prove there is something wrong mechanically.

Ottarr
Professional

#69 Post by Ottarr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 pm

That's just RNG.

Lauriert
Master

#70 Post by Lauriert » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 pm

Ottarr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 pmThat's just RNG.
Since then, I have seen nobody parry or dodge any of his standard attacks. That goes way beyond simple RNG.

isengoo
Champion

#71 Post by isengoo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 pm

You got extremely lucky in that first fight.

Lauriert
Master

#72 Post by Lauriert » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 pm

isengoo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 pm You got extremely lucky in that first fight.
If that was true, why would he flee? He was only moderately damaged and he was facing 4 people who, by everyone's logic here, he could easily destroy.

isengoo
Champion

#73 Post by isengoo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Lauriert wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 pm
isengoo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 pm You got extremely lucky in that first fight.
If that was true, why would he flee? He was only moderately damaged and he was facing 4 people who, by everyone's logic here, he could easily destroy.
The real question is why would he stay?

Ottarr
Professional

#74 Post by Ottarr » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 am

Or, he might have been down a death or two. Or maybe he was carrying a bunch of nibbler skulls and the encumbrance was slowing him down.

Lauriert
Master

#75 Post by Lauriert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 am

It honestly sounds like people are making excuses because they want the unbalanced game to stay that way despite the fact that it drives people away.

Either the people arguing for the order think their own characters or characters they've seen are actually that strong, which is nonsense and it makes them delusional. Or, the people in question simply enjoy the imbalance and always winning.

And let me point out that a majority of responses to this thread besides my own are just people making excuses and borderline harassing me because I and others have noticed a trend that strongly suggests the evils are grossly unbalanced. Other people who may agree might be afraid of replying to this post for fear of harassment.

I'm not interested in excuses. I'm not interested in harassment. I'm interested in the order mechanics being more clear because a vast majority of the playerbase does not understand them nor is the buff even visible in any conceivable way. You can't tell if it's active, when it wears off, or what it even does.

isengoo
Champion

#76 Post by isengoo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:01 am

I happen to know what their buffs are and I can say that they aren't any more powerful than the Crusader buffs.

Also, I know more than you about how the game is completely imbalanced, trust me on that.

However, the deciding factor is not the Order guild buffs. The deciding factor is damage and how it scales with stats compared to defense.

Ottarr
Professional

#77 Post by Ottarr » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:08 am

It's not excuses, it's explanations since you don't seem to understand how the game works. Disagreeing with you is not harassment.

anyway evils are supposed to be strong, that's the tradeoff for ostracization.

(delia makes a good point below)
Last edited by Ottarr on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lauriert
Master

#78 Post by Lauriert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:12 am

Ottarr wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 am Or, he might have been down a death or two. Or maybe he was carrying a bunch of nibbler skulls and the encumbrance was slowing him down.
That's absolute nonsense. He'd have to have been down 5 deaths and be encumbered at 80% for me to stand a chance if he was really as strong as he seemed.

Nobody seems interested in actually proving me wrong, which shows in how people seem desperate to change the topic to such things as what? Lauriert's personality? It's easy to make people believe they're not being cheated if they never question it and you keep giving the game's admin bad feedback. Turian doesn't seem to have time to actually play the game, and seems to instead rely on people's feedback. This is totally okay as an approach, but if enough people are poisoning the well, things will never change. The idea that the crusade buff does comparable things is nonsense. If it did, that 3 v 1 with a cleric on both sides would have gone much differently because we had not 1, but 2 crusaders with us and yes, we had the crusade buff.

This of course, is not to disagree with the assessment that damage and armor are not well balanced, but I believe there is a seperate thread for that.

Delia
Overlord

#79 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 am

There is no point to this discussion at all. Could someone close the thread and poLauriert could just report/mail his grievances to the admins to sort out?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Lauriert
Master

#80 Post by Lauriert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:40 am

Delia wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 am There is no point to this discussion at all. Could someone close the thread and poLauriert could just report/mail his grievances to the admins to sort out?
If the admins are ever around, sure. That's what I would have done but they never seem available.