Ghost Form & Roleplaying Death

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Jegga

Ghost Form & Roleplaying Death

#1 Post by Jegga » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:13 am

I'd like to tell everyone that I'm from now on ignoring ghost forms in the game.

It seems to be the trend that when someone is killed by a player, they hang around in ghost form and even query the killer for the reasons, or ask other various questions, and even threaten or bully the killer.

I still have to see a single conflict or war that was resolved during the "aftermath" of a death, whereas I find that ghost-bullying attitude of certain players very annoying. Therefore I choose to simply ignore ghost forms. I will keep sticking (mostly and case-based) to the unofficial death-etiquette regarding the corpse of the dead player, but don't take it personally when I do not answer to your ghost or simply state OOC that I won't do, and leave the place.

This is of course a very personal stance about this matter. For those of you that wonder about it, the IC justification for Jegga ignoring the, obviously present, ghosts and voices is to treat them as tricks from the Spirit World, therefore to be not trustworthy and never to be heed attention to.

You're very free to haunt me forever if you want though ;)

chara
Wizard

#2 Post by chara » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:36 am

I hope that instead of responding OOC that you don't answer ghosts, you roleplay Jegga's reaction to these "tricks" from the spirit world. Cause that would be really cool.

jezz
Hero

#3 Post by jezz » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Yeah but you cant expect jegga roleplaying 2 hours while the ghost simply wanders around bitching at him :)

hsparks
Journeyman

#4 Post by hsparks » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:28 pm

I find it a great idea. Plus, if they follow them around for 2 hours, that's their time they're wasting and their gear they're leaving vulnerable. ;)
"If there truly is an evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind."

jezz
Hero

#5 Post by jezz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:56 pm

I'd like a miracle for sathos, or maybe every cleric, some kind of expel ghost. It would make the cleric force the ghost to leave the room, sending the ghost randomly at a zone of the world (with that randome excluding places like lich tower, of course).

That would also get rid of ghost bitching you, and avoid situations where a ghost turns invisible just to hunt you (although I think the chance to be invisible as ghost has been removed, which I find GREAT)

yegerfin
Journeyman

#6 Post by yegerfin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:53 am

Magic bottles to capture ghosts in for a while were mentioned once before... :)

jezz
Hero

#7 Post by jezz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:50 am

Yeah but I bet some people would end with a syndrome of the "Cristina Aguilera" type.

And we don't want Nanga singing that song while wearing a fucsia thong, do we?

Abharsair
Site Admin

#8 Post by Abharsair » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 am

I never liked the ghosts we have, but it's hard to find an alternative. Basically we have either the option of keeping the current system, or to move ghosts immediately to their nearest shrine and get them automatically ressed there. None of which is very thrilling.

An idea of mine we had since we started the Mud was to move ghosts into some kind of underworld from where they'd have to fight their way back into the "real" world. Unfortunately there are some severe problems involved: One, newbies might get frustrated quickly. So we'd need a newbie check. Two, old players would also get frustrated when they have to find their way back the 20th time, unless it's easy, which then means it's also boring. Three, to make the underworld a repeatingly interesting experience would require a ton of coding work. Four, if player clerics can resurrect someone's corpse and summon the ghost back from the underworld, everyone would keep a cleric buddy on his AIM or MSN messenger. So while a nice idea, I don't think it's feasible at this time, and I'm afraid to say that we'll probably have to stick with the ghost we have.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

oschen

Babbling/Whining Ghosts

#9 Post by oschen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Why not silence ghosts as if they were unconcious? Do they even have mouths and vocal cords, let alone lungs to speak with?

Ghosts could be given some alternative emotions like:

wail - The ghost of Oschen wails <adverb> sadly/mournfully/pitifully.
caterwaul - The ghost of Oschen makes an aweful racket/The ghost of Oschen caterwauls <adverb> horribly.

That would solve the pestering problem and give ghosts some ability to make their presence and needs known.

-Oschen

Jahlad

#10 Post by Jahlad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:48 pm

Not everything has to be hardcoded for the sake of appropiate roleplay. Ghosts whining to their murders and pestering them for ooc hours is surely a bit overdoing the show and should not happen, just like PK without a proper reason. If you know just why you have been killed, even less reason to whine to your killer. :twisted:

I personally never liked to play a ghost and got ressed as soon as possible. It's embarrassing to be all naked. :oops: On a sidenote, we could get as well some ghostly robes, can we, Abharsair?

As for ghosts having no vocal cords etc, well, we play a fantasy mud, not everything has to be a reflection of our beliefs in RL. And honestly, I have yet to see a ghost in RL. :shock: