RP'ing religion

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Kortha
Master

RP'ing religion

#1 Post by Kortha » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:59 pm

I've seen a lot of ppl play clerics of one god or another, and it bugs me that they mostly just go on about killing their enemies, rather than sort of "advertising" what they stand for. It's like reading the Bible with only the "thou shalt not's" written in it, minus all the other parts where it says what kind of things are considered moral and good. And I'd *really* like to see a Satho expounding on why his god is so good...since in my experience everyone thinks they and their actions are good, even if they're not.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

tessa
Overlord

#2 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:14 pm

The Tanielites try to boast about how good Taniel is, but I think most people just hate them and the god more afterwards.

stilgar
Champion

#3 Post by stilgar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:06 pm

I knew a Satho preacher :wink: .. that even letted himself killed to be able to preach about HIS paradise at the inn..

was a nice try.. and he got punished for it.. HE does not like weaklings and soft touches :twisted:

Though I like the idea :!:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

jezz
Hero

#4 Post by jezz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:50 am

Well, preaching about Asral at inn's crossroads might be easy, since noone will frown upon you or will suddenly walk in to hunt you down.

Trust me, I have preached to many people about HIM :) And the ones who heard (I hope) enjoyed it, but understand a satho can't just sit at crossroads and speak HIS word. I for myself always choose the private preach ;)

That you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist :twisted:

As for a satho preacher that lets himself beeing killed to speak HIS word... Maybe Evren or Gwen would accept it, but Sathonys needs HIS clerics to be strong, because noone fears Death if the cleric that speaks about it can't kill a mouse, right? ;)

ferranifer
Champion

#5 Post by ferranifer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:47 am

Why should clerics preach to people in general?

The necessity of preaching is:

a) up to, and fully dependant on the Church's motto
b) extremelly subjective and up to the individual cleric

As a Satho, I feel that the best way I could preach HIS worship, is to slay absolutely everyone and offer their souls to HIM.

jezz
Hero

#6 Post by jezz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 pm

I for one could name many players who had been given quite long preaches about Sathonys...

I don't force anyone to a restricted rp with sathos, but you can understand a Gwen cleric leader wouldn't like one of the pilgrims to preach the love of her goddes while he/she cuts the throat open of a giant and baths himself/herself in the blood :)

I can see taniel clerics arranging preaches at Elvandar marketplace or in open places, and Asrals buffing about their powerful god and the strength he gives them to fight their enemies...

Anyway, if people likes satho actions is because we are cool 8) Don't try to understand it