Rping a Goodie

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

stilgar
Champion

Rping a Goodie

#1 Post by stilgar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:11 am

Greetings!

As you all know.. some Crusaders and Taniels have explored something they think the thieves den.. under Elvandar....

What happened? A guard was attacked.. then was kidnapped... then thieves attacked guards and clerics inside Elvandar.. What happened?

Nothing :wink:

No raid.. no retaliation.. from Taniels.. one of their priestesses was backstabbed though.. a Crusader too.. seemingly except some lower ranked members.. no one else got interested in them ..

and.. still.. nothing.. :wink:

I miss something there.. those, who attacked and killed people for less.. now do nothing :lol: Of course.. maybe it is just me .. who knows? :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Blizt
Hero

#2 Post by Blizt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:22 am

I agree totally. This could be why the mud lacks good characters now.
When I log on, I am usually alone, except for Tatiana or Etele.
Yes, it doesnt make sense to me, that a mud with guilds that claim to be "good" wont do anything about this, even after Elvandar was attacked.
As for handling it icly, its kind of hard, when you are only one or 2 people fighting a whole 3 guilds. I personally, didnt want to find the thieves guild in the first place, well until I was constantly stolen from on a daily basis and it got very, very annoying. Anyways, I voiced my opinion on another note in the general section. Bye.

venim
Beginner

#3 Post by venim » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:42 am

I've not been around much to fight back, partially because I play other character(s) too, and partially because I'm extremely busy in real life right now. While I do agree that the Crusaders and Taniels need to fight back a bit more, it's also like Blizt said. It's hard to do with only 1-2 total "goodies" on at a time. If we want to hunt down some thieves, we first have to find them, and at the same time avoid the Order and Jezz, and also at the same time try not to have all our weapons stolen by the thieves while we search for them, and at the same time try not to get the Asrals involved again so that we don't have to fight another guild. I also agree with Blizt in that I never wanted to find the thieves guild either. Even though we should be able to beat most thieves in direct melee battle, there are lots of other problems that the thieves can cause. And it would be especially hard for a Crusader to kill anyone unarmed. I like being part of a guild that is "good", but disliked by many, but it does make it hard at times.

venim
Beginner

#4 Post by venim » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:50 am

Forgot one thing about lacking players on the "good" and "evil" sides. I don't really think either one of these sides lacks many players if any. It has become more realistic recently. There are a few active fanatical "good" characters and a few active fanatical "evil" characters, and then there are many many neutral or close to neutral characters in the middle. I think the main problem right now is that those active "evil" characters are mostly very strong and that the active "good" characters, which could be considered strong, are not as strong as the evil characters. Right now the evil is stronger than the good, it's not because of guilds or whatever, it's because the characters on the evil side are that much more experienced and well skilled, which is a compliment to those who play those characters. Basically, the Crusaders and Taniels need to get their members stronger, better skilled, and more experienced in general, Venim included.

Blizt
Hero

#5 Post by Blizt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Yes, I agree with Venim.
There really isnt much of a problem with this, except that Crusaders and Taniels accept noobies. The evil side, you have to be fairly strong to join.
The argument against this : dont accept noobies into your guild , but if that happended, I dont see anyone really joining the Crusaders or Taniel clerics ;)
and after you join the Crusaders or Taniel Clerics, well, you dont get much time to hunt with 3 active Sathonys priests and an Active order member awake ;)
But as far as balanced, I think its perfectly balanced mostly, because if the good side was given some sort of advantage now, later one, when their members do become strong, they will be too overpowered. Ever since I have played GEAS I have never really seen a balance issue, its just that sometimes , you are alone and outnumbered, even if it is for a long period of time, but then, the other side sees the same happening to them too sometimes.

I think right now the Evil side has a huge advantage, with only maybe 1 or 2 active crusaders and one active taniel priest as opposition, but in time, that will change......it just gets annoying when the time lasts for so long, but there is nothing you can do about it, I am just now realizing this :P

Abharsair
Site Admin

#6 Post by Abharsair » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:41 am

The ironic part of this discussion is the fact that not long ago someone playing an evil character had a similar complaint. He said that he's alone, outnumbered and outgunned. So either some things don't add up, or situations can change really quickly. Other than that I would advise that both good and evil increase their effort and use their influence to sway those in between to their side. After all, good doesn't mean nice, and vice versa.

stilgar
Champion

#7 Post by stilgar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 pm

The ironic part of this discussion is the fact that not long ago someone playing an evil character had a similar complaint. He said that he's alone, outnumbered and outgunned. So either some things don't add up, or situations can change really quickly. Other than that I would advise that both good and evil increase their effort and use their influence to sway those in between to their side. After all, good doesn't mean nice, and vice versa.
What about the original idea? :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 am

One of the hardest things in playing a "good" character is keeping your curiosity as a player in check. If your character abides by the law to the letter and all that it might be hard to resist that compelling urge to just take a peek even if both you and your character know its unacceptable. Mostly I encounter this one when new features/areas/whatever are enabled, its hard not to test everything nice, new and nifty and letting that feeling of missing out on some of the features just sink in...but then again, guess the bad guys have this one too.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Blizt
Hero

#9 Post by Blizt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:46 pm

Well, one thing I noticed is that when butchering and skinning of humanoids was introduced, it seemed like a majority of the mud tried it out.

The typical IC response was "I was curious, and its just an ogre"
Well, of course as a player you are curious, and when your character
carries out those deeds and replies like that, he instantly goes from
being a curious, law abiding citizen, to being a looney cannibal.

Sure, people get curious. Then they try to use an ooc justification of why they did and this act, however, in the IC world, those justifications dont work. Although people try to use such things as "so you protect ogres now?"

I think sometimes people dont think about what their charcters just did, they only think about the command they typed in. So yeah, if thats the case, its hard for most people to play a good character.

adanath
Champion

#10 Post by adanath » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:51 pm

I would have to say that it isn't easy all the time but exercising restraint against evil tasks is quite easy. you either do it or you don't. That is when you decide do I roleplay or am I not a roleplayer.

Delia
Overlord

#11 Post by Delia » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:02 am

Actually going of topic now...

To point out the human behind the character, I've RP'd quite a lot of conventional RPG's in my time, Ars Magica, Kult, Blue Planet, WoD, etc... After the gaming gang scattered to the four winds I've been hang out to dry for the most parts, until I found MUD's.

I tried out quite a few and while they were nice pastime, I quickly developed a feeling most were just glorified roguelikes, and soon according behaviour followed for some parts. Actually Geas was the first game I actually started playing seriously(first and only MUD in which I've devoted time to, heck, its now 5+ years!), and began finding out that there might be more than just hack'n'slash with embellishments like "emote" and "say". What started as a game has started to resemble more like a virtual life experiment.

Actual RP can still be bit hard sometimes, being enough quick of wit and finger to respond to various things, following (and being part of) interaction between multiple characters and/or groups. It can be intimidating.

The reason for this post is I sometimes feel people can be quite unnecessarily vocal about what defines good RP and the like. Not everyone is a 100% HC-RP'er from the day one. Let's just trust people and their RP for once, people make mistakes and hopefully grow and learn, nor can anyone really know all the reasons behind someone's actions.

Play nice all :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

chara
Wizard

#12 Post by chara » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:16 am

I'd like to add to what Delia said, by saying that all too often I see players facing off in cliques according to what side they have taken in the game. This is fine IC, but it gets pretty unpleasant OOC. In Geas, there is no way to "win" - the goal is to have fun, to create a history, to participate in a virtual world. The way this works best is if everyone works together to create a fun environment. Sadly, there is only so much that wizards can do, with limitations on both time and code possibilities.

When players and wizards work together to make sure that both "sides" are having a great time, the entire environment makes a quantum leap in fun. So remember that just because your IC enemies are trying to kill your character, that doesn't make them any the less your roleplay partners.