Interesting Article

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

chara
Wizard

Interesting Article

#1 Post by chara » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 am

There's an article about character creation and roleplaying over at RPG.net that I thought was pretty interesting: http://www.rpg.net/columns/building/building1.phtml

It's mostly written for pen-and-paper games, but has some relevance to online playing as well. Of course, it doesn't fit perfectly - after all, who would believe a Satho player with a heart of gold? *grins*

jezz
Hero

#2 Post by jezz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 am

Jezz says that if his heart is made of gold, he himself will rip it out to sell it and get a mystic bazooka

jezz
Hero

#3 Post by jezz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:16 am

And after reading the artcile, I have to disagree 100% with the point of beeing good at heart, and roleplaying heroes.

Heck, I have played quite some times pen and paper rpg's, and not even my first time I played a hero. I HATE heroes. World is full of heroes, too much, it's nearly a plague.

And I have always managed to get along with the party. Sure, you won't get in front of a partner to save his life risking yours, but if you have a wand of teleportation, you might use it on your _ally_ to save his butt this time, then look at him coldly and telling him: "That was the last charge on it, I hope you use your new life well".

And your party members won't smile at you every morning when you wake up, but to be realistic, noone ever teams with other people for pure friendship, but to achieve something.

That's why I never (or nearly never) have played a psyco. Psycos are nice when you are a legendary vampire imbued with draconic powers and beeing the chosen of 101 deities, so you can go alone and raid the world, but both pen and paper and MUD rpg's often doesn't allow such behaviours.

So no, I have never RPed a good at heart character, and I think most times I have managed to have and give fun.

I bet whoever wrote that article roleplays elves

jezz
Hero

#4 Post by jezz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:17 am

PD: And sits at crossroads and does a lot of MUDsex (specially flirt and MUDsex, yeah, I can smell it)

chara
Wizard

#5 Post by chara » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 am

I agree, that part is not fitting for our MUD - as I said originally. I did think that the parts about playing chars that enhance gameplay are thought-provoking, though. I just think that evil chars are vital for fun gameplay in our world.