Magic and religion

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Magic and religion

#1 Post by vurdijak » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:05 pm

I have read a time or two that clerics will be skeptical towards magic and sometimes hostile. I was just wondering if there is any IC conflict already
established between magic and the gods. Will mages almost always be shunned by clerics and does it work the other way around? What is the root cause of this animosity if any?

This brings up a question. Should the gods frown on their followers using magic and show their distaste by lowering favour? Do they already?

Vurdijak

jezz
Hero

#2 Post by jezz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Well, I think this will be a RP matter from the players rather than anything coded and such. And I don't think all clerics will frown upon mages, specially if good mages will be so rare and powerful, many guilds will try to be friends with them.

When I suggested the topic about clerics and magic, I was talking only from Jezz's point of view. Miracles aren't any kind of magic, nor they need to extract the power to be effective from water or fire, since they get the strength from the deity Earthly Power.

So for the average cleric it wouldn't be a problem. But I like to play Jezz making him as hard to play as possible :D (Why else I'd be satho if not?)

Alamar
Master

#3 Post by Alamar » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:44 pm

In the skill types most of the cleric abilities are classified as "magic" skills if I'm not mistaken. I'm just wondering about how "magic" will be coded as different from "cleric" skills.

It seems to me that clerics will benefit in their access a great variety of miracles (which are quite powerful in their own right) and can also wear armour at the same time. Magic users, since armour will inhibit them to some degree, and because they will require some degree of specialization will need interesting spells with varied effects to effectively balance against clerical abilities.

I am curious about how divinities will clash with magic-users. It will not be cut and dry, but until now clerics have had a virtual monopoly on supernatural abilities. Mages are bound to come into disputes with clerics in some areas. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

-Alamar

Devi
Hero

#4 Post by Devi » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Some of my characters have experienced clerics labelling wizards as "heathens" or "pagans" or whatever, at least in discussion. I think it's a very, very fun dynamic.

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:57 am

If you think of it this way, a cleric who usually performs all the duties diligently suddenly starts browsing a spellbook with the same fervor the morning prayer ( or somesuch ) is usually performed, no doubt the deity is going to be slightly dismayed with the cleric. Just one way to look at it.
Last edited by Delia on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

anglachel
Site Admin

#6 Post by anglachel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:24 am

The deities do not like magican under their clerics and priest, but do not dislike mages in gerneral.
Using mage-magic as cleric look for the deitiy that the clerics will not trust the powers the deitiy give to him and make the deitiy a bit angry.
Some weak magic not often used can be tolerated, but more will make the deity ...
May be some clerics order will think that magic should be reserved for the deities and their servants, but their is no basic hostile between mages and clerics.