Roleplaying stats

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Roleplaying stats

#1 Post by vurdijak » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Every char starts out with pretty low stats, unless I'm just damn unlucky. One stat that is low to begin with is intelligence. Even my elf newbie had a low intelligence at first, so I wonder, should I RP him as being pretty dumb?

Should my speech take on an 'ignorant twang'? Certainly its ok if I know some things about the world and am not a complete imbecile, but should I try to roleplay my stats as closely as possible within a reasonable framework?

For that matter, should an older character with really low discipline
charge into battles without thinking and ignore the commands of his team leader?

After a death, should a char be RPed as less intelligent for a while?

Devi
Hero

#2 Post by Devi » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Rather than rp around your stats, I think you should set your stats to match your rp.

If you want to play a smart but unfocused bookworm, don't put more exp into discipline because it'd make him a good cleric.

If you want to play a frail thief, don't put more exp into constitution so he'll fight better.

I think it's perfectly okay to play a smart character if he doesn't have the stats to back it up, so long as int is set at 33 instead of 5. My logic is flawed, but it works for me. :D

Abharsair
Site Admin

#3 Post by Abharsair » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 am

A "dimwitted" elf is still smarter than most Tshaharks, so roleplaying stupidity is a matter of perspective.

stilgar
Champion

#4 Post by stilgar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:56 am

I have some trouble here, as my char's mentals are only "epic" intelligence and "immortal" wisdom..

IRL I have both at Ultimate :lol: sometimes its hard to pretend I'm at such low mentals.. so sorry if my RP does not match my char's mental stats :P
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 am

stilgar wrote:IRL I have both at Ultimate :lol: sometimes its hard to pretend I'm at such low mentals.. so sorry if my RP does not match my char's mental stats :P
"He is of ultimate intelligence for a piece of sliced bread."

As I said, it's a matter of perspective. ;)

stilgar
Champion

#6 Post by stilgar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:45 am

Bla bla.. you're just jelous 8)
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010