Race & Cities

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

#21 Post by ganandorf » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:06 pm

maybe something could be implemented, instead of having two of hte same shops in both cities.
make one place (elvandar) have the customs shop. and then getting another original shop or something and place it in aborea, so that ppl who are banned from arborea and people who are banned from elvandar both have the same disadvantage
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#22 Post by tessa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Arborea holds two of the three layman guilds and four of the five craftsman guilds, I consider it a pretty significant disadvantage to lose access to those. In my opinion, more significant than losing access to a custom shop. But I guess it differs from person to person.

gojin
Master

Re: Race & Cities

#23 Post by gojin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 am

Bumping the thread because i feel its still somewhat relevant and I wanted to reply to Abhs' last post.
Having a greater diversity among the major cities would surely add some flavor to the game, but currently it is limited by certain factors.

One, as long as there aren't more racial cities other than the current three, it is hard to increase the influence of the native races there. If the tshaharks and halflings would then complain about their lack of racial homes, it would be in my opinion a justified complaint.
Two, making certain shops, guilds, wares, features, etc., only available in one city would admittedly improve that city's uniqueness, but it would also prompt some players to complain about the lack of accessibility to those things.
Players complain all the time. I know, because Ive done it. I remember complaining when the combat system was tweaked several years ago and that obviously turned out for the best. I remember people complaining about each step the new religious system has taken and ive come to appreciate each progression now. Players even complain when nice new features are added to the game like the informing npcs.

My point is players(myself included) will always complain but if the change is for the good of the game then it should supercede player complaints. We end up seeing the light eventually anyways. So yeah, I think anything to make the cities more diverse would be worthwhile.
I'd also like to add (since someone mentioned it earlier) that the two cities which have judge positions openly favor certain races and guilds. Elven votes have more weight in Elvandar than the votes of other races. Same with humans in Arborea.
Sweet

PO - Gojin

gen
Experienced

#24 Post by gen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 pm

I would realy like to see more special and usefull goods in the cities. It would be realy cool if the the custom items shop in elvandar is just an armour and cutsom weapon could only be bought in arborea and custom clothes in bandama for example. Or other special services that are offered in cities. Even Asador could need this. Asador could offer drugs that grants you special things or a nasty mage that could imbue your weapon to make it more deadly for some time. The most important thing is it should be possible to trade with this items. It should be possible to order an armour for someone else not only weapons. As it should be illegal to trade with goods and services like this it could give "Criminals" a nice Option to trade with illegal stuff.
Olaf po of Gen

sun
Master

#25 Post by sun » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:10 pm

gen wrote:...As it should be illegal to trade with goods and services like this it could give "Criminals" a nice Option to trade with illegal stuff.
Olaf po of Gen..
Not that it is necessarily a bad idea, but I think it sounds more like a "thief" idea than a "race & city" idea.

As for the "race & city" problem, I think that there must be a solution which, like the court system, makes a in-game difference that matters. And what I mean by that is more than the cosmetics. Restricted areas, higher prices, inaccessible stores, and differences in general. It should be possible to this at least that affects elves, dwarves and humans since these races have their own cities.

If there are no hard-coded differences, there will not appear a natural bias either.