New religious system

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Favour check too easy?

Yes, its too easy.
38%
No, its fine
25%
I don't know
6%
Jezz for judge at elvandar
31%

Total votes: 32

Devi
Hero

#21 Post by Devi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:09 am

regardless this being my first mud i never really understood until recently how exactly people should be playing this game. it definately took my character throught the ringer multiple times.
Will instructions about rping religion be available in the future, either in the newbie village or helpfiles? This post could easily be mined for information. Even after playing Geas for a few years, I still forget some of the basics, and other things I learned only recently (e.g. earthly power, why it's okay for good guys to kill goblins). I imagine other folks have similar problems.

Vargrahim
Master

#22 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

luminier wrote:regardless this being my first mud i never really understood until recently how exactly people should be playing this game. it definately took my character throught the ringer multiple times.
Indeed, it is not easy. And like Devi says, some help on the way would be a good thing. I believe the most common is to mistake "nice" for "good". It is easy to think that the clerics of Taniel were created to cure squirrels and help everyone they, trying to be friends with everyone. And there was a time when the clerics of Taniel actually was like that. But people have become more aware, and it has progressed since.

Another mistake is to believe to assume today's ethics hold true in a medieval world. For example, burning someone on a stake is something of the holiest you can do, while today it would be seen as something horrible. Another aspect would be backstab. It is defined by the system code as evil, yet in modern war-times you might be quite indifferent about it.

A general guide "how to roleplay" is actually a very good idea. It would give the creators a chance to describe how they want people to play it, the vision, and the players a chance to understand how to get the most out of the game.
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

luminier
Overlord

#23 Post by luminier » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm

Vargrahim wrote:
luminier wrote:regardless this being my first mud i never really understood until recently how exactly people should be playing this game. it definately took my character throught the ringer multiple times.
Indeed, it is not easy. And like Devi says, some help on the way would be a good thing. I believe the most common is to mistake "nice" for "good". It is easy to think that the clerics of Taniel were created to cure squirrels and help everyone they, trying to be friends with everyone. And there was a time when the clerics of Taniel actually was like that. But people have become more aware, and it has progressed since.

Another mistake is to believe to assume today's ethics hold true in a medieval world. For example, burning someone on a stake is something of the holiest you can do, while today it would be seen as something horrible. Another aspect would be backstab. It is defined by the system code as evil, yet in modern war-times you might be quite indifferent about it.

A general guide "how to roleplay" is actually a very good idea. It would give the creators a chance to describe how they want people to play it, the vision, and the players a chance to understand how to get the most out of the game.

that would have definately been good to know when i started.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#24 Post by Delia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm

It is very preferable to voice your thoughts and concerns from time to time, as some of us are very long time players, and while I tend to include myself into that group, there are some who are the perfect definition of veteran (geas)players. It is easy to forget the troubles a newcomer can suffer sometimes. Geas is a diamond in the cutting still, IMHO. Many miraculous changes have been made by the wizzes and the players alike, since I started playing and I dare to suspect many are to come still. It is agreeable that some roleplaying guides should be established for newbies, but what is the form they should take given the fluidity of the environment?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra