Acknowledging defeat

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Vargrahim
Master

Acknowledging defeat

#1 Post by Vargrahim » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:56 pm

It seems to me that many show no good spirit about how you lose in PvP. It can be summarized as "not acknowledging defeat". Those who died are on their feet just hours after their death, attacking those who killed him. Sometimes they attack other enemy resources. In my opinion, if you die, you should stay away from such combat. Measuring how much "right" you have to form an offensive is in my opinion something which can be based on other factors. Always being on the attack does not seem fair - how can someone ever win?

And then we have those that rush into things where they know they will die. It gets old very fast, and the RP is hardly entertaining or realistic. Knowing OOC that you will die is of course a different thing (quite acceptable), but there are moments where a character would obviously know IC.

It is much about regulating yourself, and stepping away from the ego's need to be "best" at all times. Someone once told me one should not forget to RP in the middle of it, which is a good advice. Just killing someone is never fun if it is done without RP, even if you "win".
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

Delia
Overlord

#2 Post by Delia » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:21 pm

I think this might be a real issue too, but of course, sometimes players who play more casually than others want to experience things which they might not otherwise be able to given their limited time. With some characters there might be certain degrees of fanaticism as well. All the PvP oriented factions of course suffer from this. It is hard to go with full 'no' policy when others duke it out full time, IMHO. When you observe things strictly IC, given how different factions interact, It seems perfectly reasonable to just pound the losers into oblivion. Given this situation there is little to do but to try your best. Of course I have little knowledge of this reality as I do not play a character belonging to a high conflict faction. Perhaps what I intended to say is that good calls OOC do not always translate to good calls IC and vice versa. Making any sense?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Alamar
Master

#3 Post by Alamar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 pm

Sometimes it's nice when the ghost simply aknowledges "You have defeated me fairly" or "You are a worthy opponent" or something along those lines. It is possible to get killed and still hold your head high both IC and OOC (though it's usually hard to remember when you see your character die).

I tend to agree that getting killed and then showing right back up to lip off to your killer is a bit much.

As for "how can someone ever win?" Impossible. No matter many times you kill them, they keep coming back.

-poAlamar

Vargrahim
Master

#4 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Delia wrote:I think this might be a real issue too, but of course, sometimes players who play more casually than others want to experience things which they might not otherwise be able to given their limited time.
I do not think this is the case.
Delia wrote:It is hard to go with full 'no' policy when others duke it out full time, IMHO. When you observe things strictly IC, given how different factions interact, It seems perfectly reasonable to just pound the losers into oblivion.
This would be the opposite - and I honestly think also here, as a "winner", it would be bad style to go after an enemy who acknowledged defeat.
Delia wrote:Perhaps what I intended to say is that good calls OOC do not always translate to good calls IC and vice versa. Making any sense?
No, I didn't understand that, sorry ;)
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

Vargrahim
Master

#5 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Alamar wrote:Sometimes it's nice when the ghost simply aknowledges "You have defeated me fairly" or "You are a worthy opponent" or something along those lines. It is possible to get killed and still hold your head high both IC and OOC (though it's usually hard to remember when you see your character die).
I would hate if the ghost spoke to me after I killed the character. Although, that is a different topic.

In essence, I agree. However, it does not mean that the character must tell it to you. That was not my point. In fact there is plenty of reason for many characters not to do that. The acknowledgement can be as simple as staying away from the enemy.
Alamar wrote:As for "how can someone ever win?" Impossible. No matter many times you kill them, they keep coming back.
Winning does not necessarily mean that you "win the game". In fact, you can't. A war is made of many battles, and you can win a single battle while the war still goes on. Which means that after the defeated dies he would put restraint on himself for say three weeks time. But if your opponent is always on the attack or constantly picks a fight, you can't even win a battle.