Tents

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

eirikeld
Professional

Tents

#1 Post by eirikeld » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 am

I think we can all pretty much agree they are pointless. However, I have used one in the past, and am using one again. Here is why.... it makes sense. I have slept outside at night, many, many times. There is a HUGE difference if you have a tent or not. However, there is a problem with tents. If I "sleep" in one, that is, leave it up, go into it, then logout, someone else can come along behind me and take it.

In fact, I had given up on camping IC until very recently. A week ago or more, I stumbled across a tent pitched on the mountainside north of Arborea. I mistakenly took it, not thinking. From the first time I had used a tent for a while, I had never thought to leave it pitched, then log out. I always picked it back up, then quit. This made sense, but is terrible RP.

So.... First, if that was your tent, I apologize profusely for wrecking your RP, you had a better idea than I did.

Second, if you see a tent pitched, but no one home, please leave it be. Until such time as the code is changed, and a tent can be "locked" when a person is sleeping in it, please assume that someone is. There are very few of us who use them.

Lastly, is there anyway that the wizzes could make a tent not be able to be unpitched when someone logs out within it?

Zekiel
Experienced

Re: Tents

#2 Post by Zekiel » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:25 am

That'd cause trouble.

Say you get in your tent and log out. Some random geezer comes into your tent also, and logs out. You wake up and want to unpitch your tent. You can't though, cause someone's sleeping in it.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure how RPing logging out is handled in Geas. You just turn into a statue and crumble, only to instantly reappear when you log back in. Not a lot of RP involved in my eyes...

Olrane
Champion

#3 Post by Olrane » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 pm

I've always said that the statue crumbling thing was a sign that the character was called by the gods to do some service. It would not signify special election, as it happened to most everyone, and the character would not have any memory of it. The gods may use mortals as pawns and servants when they need them. Like extraplanar jury duty, I guess.

It might not hold up, but that's how I like to think of it.

What do the wizards intend by this?

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:52 pm

I think the statues are just best to be ignored completely. Just as ghosts.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah, ignore the statues. Your justification for them is as good as mine. I don't think ghosts should be completely ignored though. If they're being annoying or abusing the ghost form, then it's a problem. But ghosts are visible for a reason - they should be able to emote a bit and speak sparingly to warn others, tell of their death, or some other reason.

Sticking around long as a ghost is definitely bad though, especially if you're going to do abusive things like continuing to insult your assailant for a long time or exploring unknown areas.

tessa
Overlord

#6 Post by tessa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 pm

I think the statue concept came along long before anything was concrete as far as IC consistency and it just hasn't been changed. Sometimes people refer to statues in game, but for the most part, they seem to be ignored or simply referred to as 'sleeping'.

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:07 am

As soon as someone turns to a statue, for me they are now an invisible NPC and they have gone off to sleep.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#8 Post by tessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:21 am

I see, I see...

*wonders if statues can backstab*

Zekiel
Experienced

#9 Post by Zekiel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:04 am

*wonders if statues can be backstabbed*

*... or at least 'relocated' to rooms far away (Giat's highest peak, the darkest corner of the darkest cave, -something else creative here-). Imagine logging back in to find your char THERE!*

But wouldn't all this discussion be needless if tents were given a function? I asked ICly once or twice and everybody told me they're completely useless... Seemed odd to me but I just kind of accepted it.

Do they have function? And are people allowed to shout it on this forum?

tessa
Overlord

#10 Post by tessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:09 am

They're mostly for RP purposes.

Zekiel
Experienced

#11 Post by Zekiel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:08 am

Shame, such a shame...

Andreati
Master

#12 Post by Andreati » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 pm

If you go inside them when it's storming outside, you aren't in danger of getting hit by lightning.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

stilgar
Champion

#13 Post by stilgar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:55 am

Zekiel wrote:*... or at least 'relocated' to rooms far away (Giat's highest peak, the darkest corner of the darkest cave, -something else creative here-). Imagine logging back in to find your char THERE!*
Saved a few people "turned to statue" in the middle of a fight (non-PvP) by relocating them, while they were teaming me, or by pulling them out of dangerous combat zones. I think that is just ok.

To the original topic: The momet tents become lockable people will try to use them to store their things inside.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

tessa
Overlord

#14 Post by tessa » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 am

People could store stuff in a tent, sure, but it wouldn't take much for another person to simply enter it and steal everything.

Zekiel
Experienced

#15 Post by Zekiel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:46 pm

What Tessa said.

Also, maybe having a way to get tents specifically owned by someone, allowing this person and this person alone to log out while inside, would solve some of this?

luminier
Overlord

#16 Post by luminier » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:44 pm

i prefer getting a large warm robe, and curling up and nodding off in a tree thank you.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

genesis
Wizard

#17 Post by genesis » Sat May 15, 2010 7:24 pm

As someone mentioned before, there's a huge difference whether you sleep outside or in a tent.

Second, I think the logout in tents isn't a problem. I think the best solution is that the room where the tent is is set as the "logout place" and logging in causes you to return to that room instead of the tent - if the tent room is inexistent due to tent being unpitched.
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Sairina
Hero

#18 Post by Sairina » Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I think what Eirikeld meant was that a "locked" tent could not be unpitched and taken, not necessarily that nobody could enter it and take what's inside. But if you log out inside it you'd probably not leave anything valuable there anyway - and if you did, it would be reasonable that people can steal stuff from under your nose while you're "sleeping".

I like the idea very much, I have never dared to leave my tent and log out myself. That still wouldn't be a "use" for a tent besides RP, though. As it is now, tents do protect from lightning and cold, probably from heat as well. And evil wandering creatures probably don't enter them (I guess). But I can't think of anything else they should do...?

lanyara
Overlord

#19 Post by lanyara » Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I picture happy little halflings putting tents in front of Asador - love tents, war tents. I'd like to have tents with custom descriptions too.

I am not sure what extra use a tent could have besides that ... protects against weather and the like, perhaps it makes regenerating inside a tent a bit easier too?
Best race: halflings.

Sairina
Hero

#20 Post by Sairina » Mon May 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, I suppose it already does that, at least it makes meditation easier by providing a quiet place.