Aragog: How to ICly account for her disappearance?

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

tessa
Overlord

Re: Aragog: How to ICly account for her disappearance?

#21 Post by tessa » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 am

eirikeld wrote:I would have to disagree. This would actually do nothing to solve the point of this thread in the first place.
Well, I still don't really see what needs to be solved. In the IC world, Aragog would have vanished no differently than the dozens of characters before her, and no differently than the dozens of characters that will inevitably follow.
Secondly, I can see a few bad scenarios commonly coming from this, such as:
Some random idiot newbie approaches story teller, feeds in a completely bogus story that makes them sound invincible, and is horribly unbelievable ...or...
Some random character approaches story teller, and feeds in a story that slanders some other random character whom they do not like. ...so...
If such a story teller were in place, I would recommend they be fed stories by the wizards, as submitted by creative players.
Well, my original idea was actually that players would submit stories and wizards would handpick which ones would be added. I had hoped that players would not put 'bad' stories in, but I guess it's something that should be expected.
Further, I would recommend that IF it involved characters, as opposed to personages like Vlad, Magnus, etc. that the person be notable in one or more of the following ways: Above a certain very high experience level, head of a guild, past or present judge of a city, or some other way.
In the event that they would be handpicked by wizards, we probably wouldn't have to worry about prerequisites- wizards would know which stories are worth telling and which aren't.
Instead, I would much rather someone like Poldark in the Cumberly pub, telling stories in a similar fashion. Maybe make them a wandering NPC in one or more cities, like Gerrit. Maybe have this person haunt one or more libraries. As it is, the Underground's library is stiller than a grave yard.
Poldark would actually be a good NPC for storytelling. Besides him, an elderly wandering scholar could be another idea, perhaps, wandering to and from the libraries of the three main cities (Underground, Elvandar, Arborea).

adanath
Champion

#22 Post by adanath » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:28 am

Everyone has their own "special" chance now just as always. I personally think this is really not that great of a subject anyways. Maybe I should make a how to icly account for Yegerfin's disappearance thread. Just as Yegerfin and other beloved and hated characters (icly) have quit playing over the years this is no different. Aragog is gone from the game no more than MANY MANY MANY other players are gone from the game. I have countless times heard players rationalize and create rumours for other players disappearance, so when Aragog is finally noticed to be missing, then just like with any other character should players begin whispering amongst themselves, and creating rumours. These other characters may not be oocly deleted, but they have been gone for years and may or may not return. Aragog truly, WILL not return as Aragog, however we do not know that, for there are Gods and anything is possible. All we know as characters is how long it has been since we have seen them..and we can come up with all the rumours we want to account for such things.

Edited for clarification
Last edited by adanath on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jezz
Hero

#23 Post by jezz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am

It looks to me by your replies to Naga's idea that in order to get some kind of aknowledgment into GEAS you need to gather X "MUD points", or else you can't have any kind of "gift".

While I agree in that there is no special urge to code anything to remember Aragog in GEAS, I'm against the fact that any singular player can try to tell the rest which player is or is not worth of such a "glory".

Personally I think such "rewards" should be promoted by players and then accepted or not by the wizards, and a sign at Ironhold trolls warning the goblinoids to look around for any tshahark looking like Yegerfin and then RUN, would be a funny example.

Olrane
Champion

#24 Post by Olrane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:35 pm

I really think it would be cool in game if the scribes took the time and effort to try to write some kind of chronicle of Forostar. Maybe once every in game year, they could brainstorm and ask around to find notable happenings of the last year, and then to record them for posterity. That sense of continuity of story is something that's hard to achieve in a MUD, and so many wonderful characters still slip through the cracks. Newbies nowadays might hear about Yegerfin or Oran or Tarlon (or tens of others, not trying to single anyone out), but they might not know enough of the impact they had on the world when they were around and their lasting significance.

When I retired Olrane a short while back (yes, it's official), I tried to do something that could be memorable, gave an IC reason for him to fade out, and then started to play another character. It may be that his rapier is still floating around the game, the one token of him that probably remains. This is a decent thing, but to further immortalize important characters and events, it's important that Skalds and Scribes pass on the knowledge, IMO.

tessa
Overlord

#25 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Olrane wrote:When I retired Olrane a short while back (yes, it's official)
Tessa's childhood newbie-partner is gone? Pah, now I feel old and alone. :(

vurdijak
Hero

#26 Post by vurdijak » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:25 am

To Olrane,

A new chapter to the story is posted on wiki that chronicles the final hours of the Yoon family. I tried to mention several rangers and Sathos in it. And yes, I agree that it would be nice to have some kind of chronicle. Scribes are a good group to achieve this, but the effort would have to be shared, especially with older players who actually know how all the crazy shit went down (not that I do).

Olrane
Champion

#27 Post by Olrane » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:39 am

Ah, thanks. I love the wiki too and regretfully have almost never written in it. The too bad part is that the wiki is entirely OOC (but don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want that to change!).

Any greater IC effort to preserve history would be awesome. And as always, your character has to think of it first, so my saying so here is pissing in the wind.

adanath
Champion

#28 Post by adanath » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:59 am

Though it may be evident through previous posts that I am not a big fan of overly dramatic things, I think if the scribes got together and attempted to chronicle the ages..it would be very nice.

tessa
Overlord

#29 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Tessa is a living archive, but I never bothered to pen older things, and I probably don't play enough nowadays to keep up with current events.

Then there's the matter of at least two of the scribes often having conflict of opinions in such matters (hi Naga).

eirikeld
Professional

#30 Post by eirikeld » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:47 pm

While this thread has wandered [surprise surprise], I do think this new part needs addressing as well.
Medieval history gives us a few fine examples of chronicles or listings of "Things that happened and important events". One such is the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, which lists events by year, and is found at http://omacl.org/Anglo/
In it is a wide variety of entries. Some years have short one or two line entries. Some years have much larger ones, with direct quotations and such.
And as for disagreeing scribes... So what? Look through the history books of today, and you will find massive disparities. Often, a single author will show internal inconsistencies, particularly over time as their views may wander or new evidence comes to light.

Naga
Hero

#31 Post by Naga » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:56 pm

I've always wanted to keep a true chronicle... Maybe I should start.

tessa
Overlord

#32 Post by tessa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Can Tessa proof-read? :P

Blizt
Hero

#33 Post by Blizt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:36 pm

Zengo is pissed off because she was his most hated enemy.

So he shockpoked her to death until she became petrified.

Valtiel

#34 Post by Valtiel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Could always ask a current satho about her, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain. Although the best person for the task would probably not be a Taniel or Evren follower. ;)

adanath
Champion

#35 Post by adanath » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:58 pm

All of these things should move ic. Such things can be discussed and written about there.