angels and demons

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Staltos
Professional

angels and demons

#1 Post by Staltos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 pm

So, I was wondering, do any of the gods have angels, demons, or some other type of minor supernatural beings, that are commanded by their respective deity. Or is this simply not part of the religion of GEAS?
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

luminier
Overlord

Re: angels and demons

#2 Post by luminier » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 pm

i know some demons exist and worship evil gods.

i haven't heard of any angels though
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Staltos
Professional

#3 Post by Staltos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Oh geeze, when I started this topic I completely forgot staltos has dealt with a Lilithian demon. I'm still interested about angels however. I also wonder whether the demon are independant spiritual beings, or are they more like physical incarnations of their respective diety.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Lilith commands over demons, and Taniel commands over angels (check the Taniel temple, see those half-devas (which are technically 'aasimars')? 'Deva' is basically a D&D term for 'angel', or, more accurately, 'celestial being'.

Also, I've been told there was an angel of Taniel in the game years ago, though whether or not it was canon I can't say.

Some of the gods do seem to follow a pattern of signature creatures, though. This is nothing 'official', but just a pattern I've seen:

Taniel - Celestial beings such as devas, angels, aasimars, etc.
Lilith - Demonic beings such as demons, succubi, probably tieflings (counterpart of aasimars), etc.
Evren - Mythological creatures, such as ents, griffins, unicorns, etc.
Sathonys - Undead and ethereal beings, such as liches, vampires, ghouls, spectres, etc.
Zhakrin - He seems to lord over thrall-type creatures, such as golems, thurachs, pale ones, etc.

I haven't seen a pattern with Asral or Gwen yet, but they may rely strictly on mortals.

Anyway, this is one reason I consider Taniel and Lilith the greater powers compared to Evren and Sathonys, respectively. They seem to command extraplanar creatures not native to the world of GEAS (suggesting their powers extend outside of GEAS' world to other areas/planes), whereas Sathonys and Evren seem to have limited religions more centralized and dependent on life within the world of GEAS (which would make them the intermediate powers, with Asral and Gwen being the lesser powers).

matusalem
Master

#5 Post by matusalem » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:49 am

The descriptions of the half-devas in the Taniel cathedral refer to their "angelic blood" or something to that effect.

Naga
Hero

#6 Post by Naga » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:34 pm

A Tanielite angel was in the game some years ago. It was killed by the Asralite clergy while Drogah was among them. Its head was severed and dropped into the pit of fire.

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:43 pm

And then people wonder why the Tanielites do not like Asralites. :P

Devi
Hero

#8 Post by Devi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:46 am

There is at least one statue of an angel in Elvandar, and angels have been featured in murals... They definitely exist in the gameworld. I bet there are probably countless tales of angels and such.