Alt chars

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Grindel
Veteran

Alt chars

#1 Post by Grindel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm

In the other thread I just read vurdijak's signature-text and realized I find it quite annoying to learn who is an alt of whom.

I do not want to find out and try hard to ignore when I find out somehow (or if it's impossible to miss :wink: )

What's your take on that?

vurdijak
Hero

Re: Alt chars

#2 Post by vurdijak » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Tell me whats annoying you about it, and I'll give you my take.

Grindel
Veteran

#3 Post by Grindel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

How to put it... It takes away a bit of the atmosphere for me. And while I can ignore the knowledge, I like it better when I do not neet to because I don't know it in the first place.

Btw., I did not want to address just you (leave alone attack), it just came to me whe I read your line.

vurdijak
Hero

#4 Post by vurdijak » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 pm

I agree, it is fun to try and figure out who is whose alt and the mystery of not knowing definitely adds atmosphere. I would be very saddened if suddenly tomorrow everyone came onto the forum and posted a list of their alts.

While I would probably have fun playing the guess who game and assuming a new forum name, I like being able to openly discuss topics such as magic without having to hide which character is mine. At one point, before I disclosed my alt in my signature, one player actually urged me to start a magic using character 'since I had so many magic ideas'. Now I dont have to worry about confusing people with my posts or guarding an IC identity.

Maybe I have yet another alt who is not mentioned in my signature?
Nah...

matusalem
Master

#5 Post by matusalem » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:14 am

I'm not particularly fond of knowing either. I also try and keep my alts secret; however, I might not do as good a job of that as I hope.

rafael
Professional

#6 Post by rafael » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:57 pm

I'd also rather not know.

Delmon
Champion

#7 Post by Delmon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:10 pm

I always thought Farinthul was a male elf... hehe

gojin
Master

#8 Post by gojin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:12 am

Id rather not know either. Ive made attempts at alts but they never last for longer than a week or two before I give them up. I notice that I cant keep my chars opinion of one char from bleeding over into an alts opinion of that char. Maybe its paranoia but i figure everyone else has the same temptations. So with this thinking Id rather not know if someone is cheating to get the better of me. Id rather assume they got lucky.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:33 pm

i think only one or two ppl know my alts but one i rarely play and the other is rly weak and i rarely play him either. i always end up cmoing back to luminier. iunno hes cool to me.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Damanta
Veteran

#10 Post by Damanta » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 pm

The main reason that I like Geas is that OOC stays where it should be. Out of character. When I learn who someone's alt is it sort of seeps in and shakes immersion a little bit.

I've guessed (presumably correctly) several alts on Geas. Through no fault of the player, but there are little things that send up a red flag. I come from a background of scheming Immortals who boosted their mortal characters, so guessing alts was a matter keeping your character alive. Geas is a great relief from that setting, but noticing an alt makes me jump at old Immie shadows.

Alts are fine, its just more interesting if we don't know who plays whom.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Delia
Overlord

#11 Post by Delia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:36 am

I think alts are fine until you know the player behind the alt and thus, the other characters. There will always be this nagging sensation involving conflicts of interest and the passing of knowledge between the different alts, even if all parties involved manage to handle the situations perfectly.

This said, alts do enrich the game environment and allow people to experiment with things they would or could not do with their "main" character. I personally will not touch alts myself, Delia is already quite the handful...though if an idea presents itself which I cannot put aside...then maybe, just maybe.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#12 Post by luminier » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:02 pm

I hate figuring out other peoples alts, and then I hate when I know other people know my alts. I don't want to be possibly treated differently, but I want to play other chars also. From the time I made my last post, Luminier wasn't a complete grind to play.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.