How big is the world?

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

malaka

How big is the world?

#1 Post by malaka » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Hello all!

I'm new to the world - love the immersion and complexity. I know the world is full of area hidden within the world map (dungeons, mazes, etc), but i wanted to have an idea of how big the overworld map is. Going from the main human city to the crossroads is approx 10-12 rooms, and im told the crossroads center-ish of the 3 starting areas... so for approximation, how big is the overland? 80 rooms by 80 rooms?

Im hesitating between playing geas and discworld - discworld has a ton of rooms (hundreds of thousands) so there is lots to explore. I get the feeling Geas is much smaller - could someone here let me know the size of the overworld?

many thanks!

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: How big is the world?

#2 Post by Abharsair » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 am

At this point? 8.685 rooms in total. That does however include a few that aren't accessible (yet) and it also includes all inside rooms (like dungeons, caves, etc). As for the overworld, it actually becomes quite large once you leave the area between Elvandar and Arborea. And hopefully it will get even larger somewhat soon.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

malaka

#3 Post by malaka » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 pm

would it be fair to say that half of those rooms are dungeons (not outdoors overland) rooms?
at 4,000 rooms, that means the overland map would be 70x70, or 20x200 or such (approx 4k)?

To be fair, the muds with 40k+ rooms don't have the level of detail of the rooms here, most can be very generic. so quality trumps quantity

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 am

malaka wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 pm would it be fair to say that half of those rooms are dungeons (not outdoors overland) rooms?
at 4,000 rooms, that means the overland map would be 70x70, or 20x200 or such (approx 4k)?
It's hard to quantify that. If you mean with dungeons things like caves, mazes, and mines, then I'd say it's more like 2/3 overland vs. 1/3 inside rooms. If you include buildings in cities, villages, and similar objects, then it might be 50:50.

But like you said, quality trumps quantity, and we always tried to stick to that philosophy. Yes, the English of the descriptions might be sometimes iffy (most of the wizards aren't native speakers), but usually it isn't repetitive and consists of more than just one or two lines of text (something that always bothered me in other MUDs).
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

anglachel
Site Admin

#5 Post by anglachel » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 am

After the last count there are 5335 outside rooms

malaka

#6 Post by malaka » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Abharsair wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 am
malaka wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 pm

But like you said, quality trumps quantity, and we always tried to stick to that philosophy. Yes, the English of the descriptions might be sometimes iffy (most of the wizards aren't native speakers), but usually it isn't repetitive and consists of more than just one or two lines of text (something that always bothered me in other MUDs).
The only thing i would recommend would be to hint at possible syntax available for items... for example, if theres a stone cross with shackles on it, maybe describe it and add " you think you could do XXYY with the shackles" this gives a hint as to what the possible actions are. Right now, i see an item, and have to try to push/pull/search/get/etc practically everything i find. This might be fine for most, but for a new player who doesn't know what the available actions are, its just easier not to interact with anything.

:D

Delia
Overlord

#7 Post by Delia » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:58 pm

One thing I have loved about Geas is the report command and how responsive the staff is regarding it. You can report bugs, typos, ideas and whatnots with it. A good use of it is to report an idea about adding a piece of text somewhere to make the game more playable if something is obviously missing or too hard to figure out.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

lirynel
Veteran

#8 Post by lirynel » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 am

Don't stop interacting with things. Yes it can be frustrating at times, and maybe simple things need some hints but do the 'newbie quests' from the inns in all the cities. They won't teach you everything but they'll give you a good feel for the mud. People will probably give you hints if you're really stuck on those quests too. Explore some of the easier fighting areas and have a poke about. Go back another day and I bet you'll notice things you didn't notice before. One day you'll find something in an area you've been to a dozen times before and you'll feel so proud of yourself. Don't ask for all of that to be taken away of you'll lose such a sense of achievement.

titus

#9 Post by titus » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Delia wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:58 pm One thing I have loved about Geas is the report command and how responsive the staff is regarding it. You can report bugs, typos, ideas and whatnots with it. A good use of it is to report an idea about adding a piece of text somewhere to make the game more playable if something is obviously missing or too hard to figure out.
I can second this bit of info. Should you come across a room that for example, says something about a painting but there is no info when you 'look at painting', feel free to report it. Many areas it is a fairly easy task to flesh out some of these small details when we know about them.

May your coffee be strong and your spirit stronger!
Titus
May your coffee be strong, and your spirit stronger!
Titus, your friendly neighborhood, overly-caffeinated Otter