comppass directretions

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Tilorag

comppass directretions

#1 Post by Tilorag » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 pm

I' difficulty with up/downs I know nwu sed are opposites what confuses is south up , and I'm going down or up

I get lost in the foot hills and close to the Gist Happen to cross shrine of Gwen and a sheep farm

I have zmaper I don't because non cardnal directs don't work well , maybe some got it to work with Geas

Update I found the road and followed it back.

Furius

Re: comppass directretions

#2 Post by Furius » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 am

"Southup" is when there is a hill south of me, and I climb it.

In general, mapping Geas with a mud mapper has been difficult. The roads and major cities work about how you would expect, if your mapper has some way of dealing with rooms that overlap, but in a few places, once you get off the road you'll find that some areas have extra rooms stuffed in them - which is to say that if you walk around it, it seems like it should be three rooms wide, but there are seven or eight rooms stuffed in there somehow.

Even ignoring those areas, by the time I made decent maps of all of the "normal" areas, I found that my client really doesn't offer a way to deal with rooms that I enter involuntarily (i.e., by falling, being dragged, or panicking and running there), or as part of a team, or by entering some command that isn't a direction. These problems exist in pretty much every MUD I know of, because it's just no fun to put all of the rooms into nice grids and only let players access them by typing cardinal directions.

And even if you've dealt with that, if you rely on macros to walk around you're eventually going to do it on a day when your favorite Cleric of Sathonys has littered the road undead, and you're three or four rooms into a herd of them when you notice that your arm is missing and a couple of zombies are trying to decide what to do with the rest of you.

So, for the most part, if you can customize your mapper to deal with nonstandard directions (I'm not sure that yours does this), and you're prepared to occasionally be in some room other than the room your mapper thinks you're in, you can get by. As for me, unless I'm going to one of the more obscure places, I generally don't use my maps anymore - in the end, the process of mapping things generally helped me learn my way around well enough that I didn't need the maps anymore.

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 am

many of the rooms are different sizes. for example, bugbear camp is around... 15-16 short distance rooms long, while when outisde of the camp, it is around 3 long distance rooms long. thats probably why a mud mapper doesn't work. makes more sense the way it is anyways.

it's best to just use roads if ur lost, or just memorize paths and after about 5 days of playing that isn't too hard.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 am

We use coordinates for our rooms, and for example the fatigue/stamina system depends on the actual distance one travels. That being said, it would be silly if the distance between rooms is always the same, because we would have to make cities/buildings either very small, or we'd have to to make the distance between cities very large (hundreds of rooms) to make it somewhat logical. Therefore we defined that the distance between rooms depends on the room type.

Distance between two rooms within a building = approximately 10 yards
Distance between two outside rooms within a city/village = approximately 100 yards
Distance between two wilderness rooms = 1000 yards or more
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Distance betwen two rooms in heaven or hell = 10000 yards
XD

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am

What the heck are you talking about luminier?

Either I need sleep or you do.

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:37 am

He's talking about how you can get from Amward to the tundra in about five or so room's worth of distance in the shortways or hellrift.

The distances are, in fact, rather short, but it's very taxing on a mortal body to stay in or move around a divine plane.

Or something like that.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 am

It isn't very tasking on Luminier. But I was just saying the distances are classed as "very long" which would mean around 10000 yards.

isengoo
Champion

#9 Post by isengoo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:18 am

Maybe change heaven and hell to "extremely long" and make people get tired very quickly when traveling there, because screw them.

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm

lol so if the asrals don't have it, it should be severely handicapped for the other guilds? I suppose ranger bows should randomly have a chance to explode, that crusader unicorns should die in one hit, the thieves all glow in the dark, and the order stays the same because u can't debuff the order.

Yoda
Wizard

#11 Post by Yoda » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Don't tempt me.

luminier
Overlord

#12 Post by luminier » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Yoda wrote:Don't tempt me.
Tempt me, you should not.

=P

isengoo
Champion

#13 Post by isengoo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Asrals are #1!

tessa
Overlord

#14 Post by tessa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 pm

at failing at (mud)life, sure.

stilgar
Champion

#15 Post by stilgar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 am

tessa wrote:at failing at (mud)life, sure.
answer here
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010