a thing in meditation I've always wondered.

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Chikatilo
Experienced

a thing in meditation I've always wondered.

#1 Post by Chikatilo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 am

As a practitioner of meditation irl, I wonder what it has to do with physical healing in geas?
"....."

luminier
Overlord

Re: a thing in meditation I've always wondered.

#2 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:25 am

I thought you said as a practitioner of medicine... apparently I need sleep.

Anyways. I think as you meditate you center your body and mind...
-----------------

DESCRIPTION
With this command you will enter a state of meditation in which
you will recover your body from fatigue via the powers of
your mind. Unlike sleeping, meditation will allow you to retain
some awareness of what is going on around you.

-----------------
And there you go. Right from the game help files.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Chikatilo
Experienced

#3 Post by Chikatilo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:33 am

I meant that I find the help file, um, illogical. It is weird that just about anyone can go heal wounds by concentrating. Need for medical attention somewhat vanishes + meditation is not supposed to do that in neither modern nor medieval world.

It works "ok" now though, I'm just one of those idiots who need to see the logic in everything (which is why I meditate, to get rid of that). :shock:
"....."

Herst
Master

#4 Post by Herst » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:46 am

Maybe the giant lizards or the fluffy elves can explain the logic to you..........
Remember this is not based strictly on logic, it has the fantasy element as well.

Seriously though, medical attention is still needed in many cases. That or magical healing or help from a Priest. Meditation is helpful at higher levels, but it will not always fix the problem.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:07 am

Chikatilo wrote:As a practitioner of meditation irl, I wonder what it has to do with physical healing in geas?
Real-life meditation and Geas-meditation are not the same. In GEAS, chi is a quite real and controllable energy (in real life, you can debate its authenticity, and the better you are at meditation, the better you know how to control this energy. Recovering the body from physical or mental fatigue or injuries is just one of a few abilities.

Chikatilo
Experienced

#6 Post by Chikatilo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 am

so the answer to my question is that it is fine that a random warrior uses chi? If so, forget me asking.

It is 8:30 am with no sleep so forgive the weird sound of the whole topic~
"....."

Herst
Master

#7 Post by Herst » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:24 am

Oh!

Well, anyone can use it if that is what you are asking ;)

Focus chi is something you obtain through meditating though.

Not sure how much detail is acceptable to go into on this post though, so I will say........anyone on the mud can meditate. Lots of people use it, and it is very useful. Warriors, Priests, Shaolin Monks, Rangers........you name it, they all use it.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:25 am

Everyone uses it, few roleplay it =P

Chikatilo
Experienced

#9 Post by Chikatilo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:28 am

I actually know most of the detail (chi etc). I just kinda wish it would be roleplayed more or the skill would be changed.
"....."

tessa
Overlord

#10 Post by tessa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:33 am

It used to be mostly usable only amongst the Shaolin. Since then, it's become one of those generic skills that everyone learns and masters in time. Which is disappointing, given its nature, but eh. *shrug*

Olrane
Champion

#11 Post by Olrane » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm

It's too bad that there's almost nothing that can compete with it for fast healing and general availability (I'm sure clerics and such can heal better). When meditate finally became generally available (after the skill bonus changes a couple of years ago), it became a necessity for PvP or even for PvE with most groups in order to recuperate fast enough to not be a drag on the group. I agree that probably people need to roleplay it more, I will try to work on it in my RP.

isengoo
Champion

#12 Post by isengoo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Given how frequently it is used, it would be somewhat annoying to go into a long, drawn out diatribe about centering yourself and finding your spirit animal or whatever the hell you do when you meditate (sorry, irl meditation is fake, don't care) every time you did it in game.

The way I look at it, it's just something Geaseans do, and it's not strange or foreign to anyone.

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 pm

well i mean luminier has a good excuse, what about the rest of you! well tessa does too. perhaps olrane could work it in easily in some way. and im not saying that you need to be like "ok time to center my mind and body with the threads that make this world whole" or some crap. just if someone asks you why you do it, be prepared to have an explanation. thats about all u need.

isengoo
Champion

#14 Post by isengoo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:50 pm

The best explanation is "because everyone else does it, duh".

sun
Master

#15 Post by sun » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:58 am

The warriors I played in the past never learned meditation because it did not fit them. I think each player must ask himself whether character is that type or not. Learning to meditate just to "get better healing" is kind of abusive. Doing it without RP:ing it is, like all powergaming, harmful to the game world in general.

tessa
Overlord

#16 Post by tessa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 am

But the temptation to minmax is too great.

Olrane
Champion

#17 Post by Olrane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 am

isengoo wrote:The best explanation is "because everyone else does it, duh".
Psh. And everyone kills nibblers too, but that makes it no less an important and useful favor each time. We're here because we don't want to be level 80.

The explanation of meditation in game is that only very recently has the Shaolin art of healing meditation been known to some adventurers. There are a number of reasons for this - guild traitors, over-friendly Shaos, etc, but the fact remains that it is not a common skill, and of those few hundred non-Shaolins who know how to do it, few have perfected it. Most young adventurers learn of it these days because it's become a bit more common within adventuring groups, but it's not something that any person on Forostar could do.

Yes, it's an immediately unlocked skill in the game, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do think that it should be seen and respected as a sophisticated and difficult Shaolin skill - treated as iron will should be treated - unless your character has good reasons IC not to do so.

I think there's a general lack of awe concerning healing meditation because it's seen as a necessity and therefore mundane. But then again, I think that sometimes people forget what juggernauts their characters really are, and the essential awe is missing.

Arogarn
Experienced

#18 Post by Arogarn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 am

Maybe the skill should require a minimum of time invested each time you use it?
Atm, I see people go in meditation and rise out of it within 1-3 minutes. I always thought 'bout meditation as something that "occupies" you for at least on hour or so ... .

Oh, what? Boring?
Yes, it's boring if you're sitting around, having nothing to do while everyone else is meditating.
Just as in real life ... :wink:

Delia
Overlord

#19 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am

I've spent sometime thinking how Shao meditation could be separated from the 'common' meditation...I mean they should be the masters of the skill and it did work out with meditate in the past when others had immense difficulties learning it to 100, heck even getting 60 was a true effort. But what tricks the temple could know what the others do not? Retroactively nerfing meditate for non-shaos sounds bit off and actually handing out some meditate based guild benefits to shao learned meditate might be off also, unless its mostly for flavour.

Well of course there is RP but always putting the effort EVERYTIME you have your character recuperate seems...arduous. In a way I might like if fatigue recuperation was also dependent on sleep. Not sleeping -> you get naturally tired and sluggy. As it is now meditation just replaces sleep and rest. Even if it is hard to start learning, people bear with it as skills = exp and going through the trouble gets you good perks in the long run.

The times I feel really evil I think the skill should just be closed to shaos-only or attach some other immense difficulty tag to it :twisted:
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#20 Post by tessa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:46 am

An easy method of adjusting the skill would be to simply reduce the recovery speed for non-shaolin.

I agree people shouldn't have to RP entering meditation properly each time they meditate. But meditation probably shouldn't be taken for granted as a mundane thing, either, whether it's emote'd out or not.

RPing meditation out past mud commands isn't necessary, but I would happily encourage any interested parties in putting a little depth in things such as meditation, tracking, fishing, etc. I once knew a Ranger that would drop to the ground and analyse the dirt carefully when tracking, and putting little emotes like that here and there does help put a little depth and personality into even ordinary things.