Sparring Mode

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Sparring Mode

#1 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 am

So what Exactly does sparring mode do? I just realized today i have had 'toggle sparring on' on for the past few weeks. And I've never really known what it does
Meow

Delia
Overlord

Re: Sparring Mode

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 am

I think it can be used to avoid reputation drops while fighting someone with sparring on also. Not quite sure.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:11 am

as far as i know there is no benefit it having it off. but there is benefit for having it on as Delia said. I know why it exists, but thats about it. If you have it on all the time, i am fairly sure there is no consequence.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

krelji
Hero

#4 Post by krelji » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Perhaps it could be automatically switched off when you switch to killmode, or we
could at least get a reminder that we still have sparring on. I recently noticed that
my char also had sparring switched on, and I don't know when I did this switch, and
why I have forgotten to switch it off again. I only check the toggle screen very
infrequently, and if I do only for specific settings.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Basically, sparring mode on lets you spar others without suffering karma or reputation loss for attacking them.

Olrane
Champion

#6 Post by Olrane » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 am

If I understand correctly, sparring mode causes one's reputation not to be affected by PvP - so really, it is an issue if you just keep sparring on all the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that there could be abuse if characters were to do real PvP with sparring on because the game might ignore a reputation change that should take place.

It's good to remember to turn sparring off when you switch back to killmode. A reminder line as Krelji proposed would be great, otherwise it would be cool if it would automatically revert after a relatively long while (one shouldn't normally be in sparring mode for more than a few hours at a time).

It could be that it doesn't make much of a difference, but the idea is there.

rafael
Professional

#7 Post by rafael » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't recall where I read this, but I was under the impression that sparring mode only worked if both parties toggled it on. So if one accidentaly forgets to switch it back, it'll be fine. The problems would then arise only in the case that both parties forget to switch it back. In that case, it would be in a way cheating the system if, say, you happen to be fighting in cities, etc.

But then, maybe I'm wrong. Others should know. Should be in the documentation.

R

tessa
Overlord

#8 Post by tessa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm

There were a few adjustments made so people can't try to leave it on all the time and abuse it. Something like both sides having to be in stunmode and having sparring toggled on for it to work.