Character background, commands, locations

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Kornach

Character background, commands, locations

#1 Post by Kornach » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:14 am

Hey, all -

Just a few things I wanted to ask.

- First, I'm pretty thorough in setting up my character's background, but since I don't know the game world well I'm not sure where to have my character be from. Is "a village about a week out of Arborea" good enough?

- Second, I can't seem to hit on the right syntax to look at a sign in a specific direction if there are two signs in two directions in a room. 'look at sign in north/northern' just echoes back "northern or southern?".

- Last, I seem to remember from starting her a number of months ago that the human starting area is not a popular playing area. Is that correct? (Just yes or no is fine - if it's no, I'll find out IC where to go.)

Thanks -

K

tannorath
Experienced

#2 Post by tannorath » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:17 am

1. Don't know

2. look at northern sign

3. if i am not wrong, the human starting point is Arborea and its the 2nd moust popular playing area! The first is the crossroad at Naga's :lol: (just kidding) ... you should be ok with the human starting point!

Abharsair
Site Admin

#3 Post by Abharsair » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:00 am

Well, actually the crossing in front of Naga's Inn is the most popular location. So if you leave Arborea and follow the road to the west, you'll eventually get there. Either you'll meet someone immediately, or someone will arrive there once you wait a couple of minutes.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Kornach

#4 Post by Kornach » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Alright, thanks. I'll just wing it on background... I can shape that as I go. The first PC is always a bit generic anyway until I've learned the culture.

Two other questions - I was told last night that the MUD time to real time ratio is either 5:1 or 6:1. Which is it? I'm used to 4:1, so I may have to adjust speed a bit. And, it looks from the help files that there's no way to move the "you" in an emote to another position, and that saysound can only really take voice tone, not emoted action. So, I'm assuming that neither of the following are possible:

1. emote After pausing at the doorway, <emoting PC> steps into the room and over to #otherPC's# table.

producing -

After pausing in the doorway, the short purple man steps into the room and over to your table.

2. tell otherPC , while giving #thirdPC# a quick glance, No, I don't think we've ever met.

producing -

The short purple man tells the tall green woman, while giving you a quick glance, "No, I don't think we've ever met."

Neither of these things are necessary - just wanting to make sure I'm not missing a way to accomplish them.

- K

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:04 pm

To answer your questions:

1) The game time to real time ratio is 6:1. So one MUD day takes 4 real life hours.

2) You are right: you can only have the "You" in the first place of your emote. The reason for this was the concern that some people might abuse it to fake messages broadcasted by the game system. Well, personally I think an overwhelming majority of the players wouldn't do it, so if there is a demand for it, we can expand the "emote" command to allow shifting the "You". Opinions on that?

3) No, you can't mix an action with a say/tell/ask. It's basically the same as point 2), and if there's a demand for it among our players, I'll gladly look into it.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Kortha
Master

#6 Post by Kortha » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:47 pm

While the emote system of Armageddon (which seems to be similar to what you're talking about) is really cool, I think it's just a biiit too much and just provokes ppl into making 4 line emotes. I *hate* 4 line emotes. And I could never remember all the emoting commands there anyway.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

yegerfin
Journeyman

#7 Post by yegerfin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:40 am

I'd like to see mid-person emote, though would also like to know if it was done by a person (and which one) or a system (few more options in setcolor, for one who did emote and full emote?)