Evil noobs

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Evil noobs

#21 Post by lanyara » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Naga is/was a great example of an "evil" non-evil character.

Who else could come up with slave tshaharks?

Perhaps "twisted" would be a more fitting word than "evil" for Naga.

What the example of Naga however also demonstrates is that sometimes it is very difficult to "pull out" from a given situation again.
Best race: halflings.

Skragna
Champion

#22 Post by Skragna » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 pm

It'd be interesting to see a new character try to get away with stealing to feed his family or some such, not just stealing/killing to get richer, stronger, or for their god. Just seeing a sort of jovial Robin Hood-esque character that gets away with taking some of the church donation because "he's already one of the poor, so he's saving the church the trouble of looking him up" would be a pretty good thing, because it'd call for serious roleplaying to avoid the gallows... or the stake.

matusalem
Master

#23 Post by matusalem » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I like Skragna's players idea there. I posted something similar last year sometime, and even attempted such a character; however, he eventually got sidelined and became a "good guy" so to speak. Theft, in general, is very difficult. Not the act itself, mind you, but maintaining a character in such a way. You would have to already be a master warrior before you could seriously try and become a mediocre thief. During his time, Al Capone was considered a hero by the underprivileged and poor for his good works. Pablo Escobar was a sadist and mass murderer; however, to this day in Medline Colombia, there are those that view him as a saint for his charitable donations. The Italian American mafia are devout Catholics, not satanists. A lot of the villains in Geas are viewed as totally corrupt and wicked, and in fact many of them are played as such. (With a few exceptions I can think of but won't go into here.) I'd like to see more villains who do terrible reprehensible things, but all for some greater good that's not necessarily apparent. An altruistic thief who gives what he steals to beggars and those without would be wonderful; however, it would probably be an up hill effort on the player's part. If you can do it, kudos to you. You may even inspire others to do the same. (Which is really what is needed; Robin Hood has his merry men.)

Post Script from before: Luminier's embarrassing defeat to Matusalem, who at the time wasn't even using a bow and arrow, the one weapon at which he excels, wasn't referenced in any way to somehow demean Luminier or illustrate him as a pathetic warrior who cannot even stand up against a powerless halfling possessing no guild advantages whatsoever. It was merely used to show younger players that anything is possible and any feat may very well be achievable. :D

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 pm

Arrows are fine, but if you hadn't noticed (Caelia can attest) I am pretty handy with a shield that I generally wear all the time. And you get one shot. Thats a big if.

But yes anything is possible.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

isengoo
Champion

#25 Post by isengoo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I'll take you down yet, Mr. High and Mighty.

luminier
Overlord

#26 Post by luminier » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 am

Time and a place.

Arwenth
Master

#27 Post by Arwenth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 am

isengoo wrote:I'll take you down yet, Mr. High and Mighty.
You two go ahead and duke it out....One of these days Arwenth will beat the stuffings out of both of you. :lol: <sage nod>
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

luminier
Overlord

#28 Post by luminier » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:27 pm

When Arwenth can knee Luminier without using her face as a landing pad I might be intimidated =D

Arwenth
Master

#29 Post by Arwenth » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:29 pm

luminier wrote:When Arwenth can knee Luminier without using her face as a landing pad I might be intimidated =D
Ay...She did get that lucky headbutt in once...
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

luminier
Overlord

#30 Post by luminier » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:43 am

Specials shouldn't be used in a spar anyways. Except slam, or spin - my favorites.

krelji
Hero

#31 Post by krelji » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 am

luminier wrote:Specials shouldn't be used in a spar anyways. Except slam, or spin - my favorites.
If you start making exceptions here, you should include them all, and not just those
you prefer to use anyway. I'd like to hear your reasoning why specials shouldn't be
used in spars though. I don't recall a single spar where specials weren't used, and
while my char doesn't usually spar anyone, he's been watching quite a few.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

luminier
Overlord

#32 Post by luminier » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:53 pm

I was just being sarcastic, I don't generally like using specials in a spar because it doesn't really make IC sense.

Lets say a squire is sparring the Lord Marshall in a friendly test of skills, kneeing him in the balls or elbowing him in the face probably wouldn't go over too well (for the squire). It is just something player of Seneca introduced to me (while he was sparring another Crusader) and I found it rather interesting and it stuck.

If you agree to use specials, go for it. But if you knee Luminier in the sack, hes gonna be mad.

isengoo
Champion

#33 Post by isengoo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm

So, back to evil noobs.

I feel like there should be a place where any character can devote and gain favor for Sathonys. As it is, if you don't have access to Asador, and you don't know anyone, you can't gain any favor with him at all! Perhaps a little ritual cave, up north in the arctic, maybe under the bridge or something. Someone could drag an arrested humanoid there and sacrifice them without having to be in the guild/have Asador access. This place would have to be pretty well guarded, but in my mind, would allow access to anyone with less than neutral rep in Elvandar.

Falsenroth
Experienced

#34 Post by Falsenroth » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:00 pm

I completely agree with Isengoo, it "is" nearly impossible to gain favour with Sathonys without access to Asador. Certainly the Amward plains or the tundra would be likely spots. Having one in Eal-Deliah would sort of defeat the purpose of making it easier for evil newbies :P

Falsenroth
Experienced

#35 Post by Falsenroth » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Not quite sure about the arctic though, even for old chars a thurse springing out from under the ice suddenly with a massive two-handed sword can be instant death.

isengoo
Champion

#36 Post by isengoo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, this would be south of that area. The bridge across the crevasse, under that. Southwest of the Tower of Pain.

luminier
Overlord

#37 Post by luminier » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 pm

There is a reason why there are not easily accessible places for evils to go. If they were easily accessible I am fairly certain Luminier could go their alone and wipe the whole place out constantly. And I wouldn't just do it to be an ass, it's just my job and every Crusaders job, and every Cleric of Taniels sort-of job, and basically anyone else that wants to help either guild's job.

Asador is hard to get to so goodies don't completely rock the city everyday. The Bloodwood is also the way it is to make it difficult for goodies to get inside and stay there.

Sure you can put an obscure cave in the Arctic or Amward. But it wouldn't be long before I am tailing someone I suspect is evil and their tracks lead me right to the place and all hell breaks loose.

There really needs to be a whole other island reserved just for evils with a bastion of Good. Just like Forostar is an island of goodies with a bastion of Evil. Mmkay?

isengoo
Champion

#38 Post by isengoo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:51 pm

No, that would be silly. As it stands, there are already two sacrifice spots. If players were given some sort of command to sacrifice humanoids in the spots so they could gain Sathonys favor, the problem would be solved. Something as simple as when you've got a humanoid shackled there, you just type 'sacrifice x' and with a knife you cut their wrists and gain Sathonys favor.

Minariel
Journeyman

#39 Post by Minariel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm actually partial to the idea of a semi-hidden but more easily accessed method for worshiping either Sathonys or Lilith. It's not like the shrine to Gwen is hard to find or very heavily defended. You'd think that either the Asrals or /someone/ would wipe it out daily, but it doesn't seem to happen.

I like poIsengoo's sacrifice suggestion. It makes sense, makes it harder for you to track someone back to a hidden shrine, and allows an easier way to worship one of the evil deities.

isengoo
Champion

#40 Post by isengoo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm

When Isen was an Asral, he did kill Denma. Regularly :twisted: