Evil noobs

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Minariel
Journeyman

Evil noobs

#1 Post by Minariel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 pm

How is it possible for someone to start an evil character?

Asador the "evil" city, is closed except to people with invitations.

Sathonites don't necessarily kill everyone on sight, but they aren't exactly friendly people, and that makes sense enough.

Thieves, if they even still exist, are completely hidden.

I've never even heard of a character from the Order, so I'm not sure if they're around either.

It seems like the game is stacked against someone starting an evil character. Not that I would expect being evil to be easy, but starting out and getting into things shouldn't be as hard as it seems.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.

isengoo
Champion

Re: Evil noobs

#2 Post by isengoo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Most people need a great deal of motivation to be evil, which should be roleplayed in game, and should take some time to achieve.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 am

And not speaking of several features not accessible for evil characters. Being evil is hard and possibly even disencouraging. Evil noobs I cannot visualize at the time being as there is virtually no training areas for such things to prosper. You'd have to train where everyone else does(thildens, nibblers, gremlins until you "graduate" to orcs and stuff) and if you are caught as evil, you are pretty much done for. Still, it could be interesting and I would not be surprised if someone has pulled it off successfully. It does require experience as a player however.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:34 am

Evil noobs exist. Successful ones are more rare than finding a needle in a haystack the size of Canada.

Besides, people are inherently good unless they have something bad happen too them. Take some to think up a good backstory so you have some good RP reasons to go evil. And yes going evil seems all glitz and glam until you actually do it and you realize it's actually very difficult. When Delia said it can be discouraging she wasn't joking around. (It's part of, a very small part, of why I stopped playing Luminier. He is too strong for the current evils at the moment, time to let others shine. I know that it can be frustrating to fight against insurmountable odds and I have the ability to change the odds so, right or wrong, I did.)

Keep working at it and try to get in contact with known evil's and go from there. Evil Tip # 1. you can mail people without actually having met them. This can be roleplayed because most evils are well enough known in the world that you should know their name anyways. Some people have aliases though, so getting in contact with them is tricky.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 pm

(It's part of, a very small part, of why I stopped playing Luminier. He is too strong for the current evils at the moment, time to let others shine. I know that it can be frustrating to fight against insurmountable odds and I have the ability to change the odds so, right or wrong, I did.)
Nah, just do a 180 with Luminier and let his dark side shine. It could be interesting.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:35 pm

I was sure you were being sarcastic, until you said it could be interesting. I just love unicorns and lances too much to go evil. I can't ride undead and no evils would trust me. Id have to make my own new evil guild.... Evil Crusaders, with nightmares and long wooden scary rider lances

isengoo
Champion

#7 Post by isengoo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:02 pm

I'd love to see Lumi's dark side. Not like you couldn't get a specially made nightmare mount for him and cast the whole of Forostar into darkness.

The hardest (and funnest, imo) part would be coming up with some back story for his fall from grace.

Minariel
Journeyman

#8 Post by Minariel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:49 pm

The brighter the light... the darker it seems once the flames die out.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 pm

It's true Isengoo, it would be pretty hard. Most of my past has been neatly wrapped up and atoned for IC, so something new would have to happen to shatter my faith.

I like the idea. I've always wanted to fight Caelia anyways.

ganandorf
Overlord

#10 Post by ganandorf » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Being an evil noob is a pain in the ass.

The ones who have done it have had multiple characters before they made said evil character.

Maybe look around in the game, see if you can find any names, maybe someone who you could mail to learn more.

*cough**cough*
Meow

Skragna
Champion

#11 Post by Skragna » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:01 am

Evil Luminier? *shudder* You're bad enough as a good guy :P Besides, I can't think of anyone Skragna's met that's a better fighter than Luminier... and he'd hate to have to put ya down. Or, the more likely course, die trying. Repeatedly.

isengoo
Champion

#12 Post by isengoo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 am

Psh, I almost beat Lumi+Rex once. True story.

Desiderea
Master

#13 Post by Desiderea » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:43 am

I’ve also noticed that it seems rather hard to make an evil character. Just by the people I’ve met, I ended up being influenced towards good, although I had other intentions for my character originally. There just weren’t any evil people around to corrupt her! And the prevailing ethos in the major cities tends to be good. Really, I’ve only heard of about two evil people, and I haven’t actually seen any... And the evil that does exist is hunted every time they enter Elvandar or Arborean land.

For a new character starting out, they are most likely to become good just by who they roleplay with, unless they have a specific reason for being evil. And if you do want to play an evil character, what are your options? I’ve considered creating another character when I become more familiar with the game who would have motivation to become evil. But I’d pretty much have to build up my skills and hide any evil motivations I have until I become strong enough to try seeking out some like-minded people.

Do members of the Order and the thief guild still exist? And how does one inquire about them without getting suspicions thrown on them and getting persecuted by all the good people? Is it possible to play a character who grew up in Asador? I haven’t been there myself, but I know when I tried exploring Ironhold I was promptly killed by the guards. Is that because I had good alignment, or are those places just not friendly to anyone apart from worshippers of Sathonys or Lilith?

I guess overall I’d just like to see some more evil of varying shades. :)

Delia
Overlord

#14 Post by Delia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 am

As for Ironhold it can be said that evil is not good to other kind of evil. Goblinoids and such have little sympathy for other than their own ilk and one can imagine how jovially they treat each other. So when playing an evil character(evil not strickly defined by the god you worship)it is not at all surprising nor condemnable to go bashing orcs. Unless you happen to worship Lilith that is. I understand that would spell trouble. And by the way...worshipping Lilith does not remove the auto-attack tag from the various monsters ;) Or so I hear.

Order members seem to be pretty much extinct. They are quite noticeable when they are around. If you are interested in joining the Order I recommend asking a wiz/admin about it. I think such a plan requires a hefty sum of experience on your character though. No one wants to see an Order member who has to flee aggravated squirrels and rabbits with an attitude.

As for thieves if they cannot be seen or found I guess they do a good job EVEN if they aren't around. Atleast builds the atmosphere :) There are various ways to leave messages. Try them.

There have been some rather famous/notorious characters in the game that you can easily look into by asking around in the interest of history past and such. Any skald could be easily tempted into telling a grand story about how Dalamar(if any such old skalds are around that is...)held Forostar in his icy grip of terror. Just examples.

As for the southern cities, there has been much more strife and "freedom and diversity" in the past but after some major conflicts a victor was decided, more or less. After that things have been influenced by those events and this is where we are now.

matusalem
Master

#15 Post by matusalem » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 pm

In Geas, just as in reality, those who go around victimizing others through theft and violence don't typically have a comfortable time of it. Only the very careful and astute may get away with such behavior for any extended time. This helps add to the level of realism in Geas. Furthermore, wicked individuals have few limitations in the way of game play rules when it comes to victimizing other players' characters. This fact alone warrants some form of weeding out processes. The difficulty of maintaining a wicked character does a good job of this. In fantasy genre there's too much evil for the sake of evil, and really not enough true motivation. The evilest people in history never believe themselves evil. Hitler, Stalin, and Mao didn't sit around wringing their hands and laughing a maniacally evil laugh after slaughtering millions of people. One of my favorite "bad guys" was Naga. He was a wicked son-of-a-gun but in the character's mind, he didn't necessarily view himself as evil. (He didn't seem to me; perhaps his player can shed more light on that subtlety than I.) I'll also add Naga wasn't a super skilled fighter either, but he was a smart, clever, and deliberate bad guy, which in my opinion make for a more interesting foe.

As for super-Luminier, I've seen him beat unconscious by a miniscule halfling dandy. :twisted:

luminier
Overlord

#16 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Must defend pride....

Isengoo - I seem to vaguely recall that fight, was it that time Rex challenged you and then I came in on his unicorn when he(Rex) started to lose and just killed you? Except that time and a time with Ramandu and Rex I don't remember fighting Isengorn.

Matusalem - We -both- know in a non sparring fighting I would have broken you in two. As I recall all of my non-lethal hits were criticals, which would have caused battle changing effects. And of course you leave out how they next fight I took you down without taking a scratch by a minor change to my tactics. But I have to give you credit, you sure whittled me down in that 10 plus minute spar. But I had you at deaths door within the first 45 seconds.

emote defends his pride vigorously.

isengoo
Champion

#17 Post by isengoo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh, yeah, it was Rex I almost beat. Well, he's stronger than you anyways :P

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:40 am

Hey, I am always willing to test out theories people have. Talk is for the weak. Rex is actually surprisingly wimpy for his age.

isengoo
Champion

#19 Post by isengoo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 am

Soon enough :twisted:

matusalem
Master

#20 Post by matusalem » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Arrows weren't involved! It's the arrows I tell yas.