Weapons

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Minariel
Journeyman

Weapons

#1 Post by Minariel » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 pm

I've noticed a distinct lack of the use of certain types of weapons. Knives, for instance, I'm told are nearly useless against armourd opponents. Makes sense, as they're not long enough to pierce plate armour...

Mainly I've noticed a lack of two-handed swords.

Mostly, I've been wondering if there's a reason for this.

If so, is there something that can be done to make other weapons more viable?

It just seems that I see most of the 'bigger' people using spears, bows and occasionally, axes and rapiers. The only exception seems to be the Taniel Clergy with a sword/rod or sword/shield combination.

matusalem
Master

Re: Weapons

#2 Post by matusalem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm

There are probably a lot of factors as to why you see some weapon styles over others; however, I'd focus in on two main reasons. The first is guild requirements. You're going to see a lot of spears because three major guilds incorporate such weapons. Now take for instance clubs, which you never see anyone using. There's only one guild to my knowledge that uses such weapons. You can usually guess what direction new characters are looking to go by the type of weapons you see them using.

The second major factor I believe is simply trend. Some weapons are more popular at a given time than are others. This could simply be coincidence. When I first started playing, no one except a few Rangers ever used missile weapons. These days they're getting fairly popular. A year or two ago, most people used two handed swords, which you seem not to see too often. I know of a couple characters, mine included, that still prefer two-handed swords. There are some weapons, I don't believe, that are ever going to be trendy. Clubs just aren't "cool" or heroic or what have you. I don't think we'll ever see the bulk of warriors carrying clubs, maces, or hammers.

You've also got availability of weapons. Staffs are particularly hard to come by outside of a guild setting. Unless you like breaking off a new branch after every fight, or don't mind carrying a symbol of Lilith.

Personally, I don't know if anything really needs to be done about it. In time, you will find different character or style trends take over, and you can sit back and say, "Remember when everyone used a spear? You don't see that these days."

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 am

Spears, Chains, Axes and Unicorns forever!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#4 Post by Kaseo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 am

luminier wrote:Spears, Chains, Axes and Unicorns forever!
Unicorns are considered a weapon? I want to wield a unicorn. No one ever challenges someone who's swinging a unicorn around.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

Minariel
Journeyman

#5 Post by Minariel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Should have rolled a Tshahark. They might be strong enough to do it. *nods sagely*

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

no need to wield a unicorn when you can use it to completely run a 10 foot long pole through someones chest. mmm intestines.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#7 Post by Kaseo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I still think wielding the unicorn would be more badass. Definitely more awesome.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 am

"Knives, for instance, I'm told are nearly useless against armourd opponents"

wrong. knives=awesome. u just have to dual wield, wear light armor, and bask in the specials thereafter, namely smash and leap attack. If you are shaolin, you are set. If u learn backstab, all the cooler.

two handed swords are great. but, just dont use the heavy/slow ones.

Spears and swords are equally awesome. You can train three skills smash/thrust/swing, and "impale." Swords vs spear and swords will win bc I think spears dont defend against swords as well as swords defend against spears.

Rods are no good. Staffs are no good. Axes are no good. Clubs are really useless. Rapiers are interesting but weak. Maces and halberds are decent, but again, you miss out on "impale."

Plus, since the powerful guilds such as sathos and crussies use spears, for the defensive bonus you might as well learn spears.

But everything comes down to style and tactics. all weapons COULD be useful with the right material/custom weapon and armors.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 am

A long rider lance and a shield is a pretty unbeatable combo. I don't think anyone using a sword could beat me when I use a spear and shield. If I ever got my shield to 100 I am pretty sure I would be the most effective tank ever.

By the way, best special? Shield bash. It's like slam exactly, but no chance of dropping your weapon. In case you can't piece it together slam is the best special (next to shieldbash of course).

matusalem
Master

#10 Post by matusalem » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:48 am

Don't know about "best" but pretty darn good, and certainly my favorite special is the aim-at-head, shoot-at-<target> combo.

Seriously though, I've found impale/gore useful for disarming things and knocking out the few things I'm able to hit in the head. Elbow/Bodycheck is also a favorite.

luminier
Overlord

#11 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Shield bash/Slam have knockout potential, breaking limb potential, and knock down potential. Id say best due to versatility. Typically I only get to use gore/impale if I know I am going to win anyways (because I would be wielding two handed).

Missile is hardly a "special" it's just really really good.

matusalem
Master

#12 Post by matusalem » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 pm

I think race may be a big determining factor in what specials is going to work for which character. I just can't imagine a shield bash being nearly effective in the hands of a halfling as it is in the hands of a human. I wonder if using a shield would actually be a hinderance to a halfling. I'm not about to test it though. Too much other stuff to raise. Instant knockouts for a halfling though are very rare events. Too many heads are out of reach.

lanyara
Overlord

#13 Post by lanyara » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I wonder if using a shield would actually be a hinderance to a halfling.
Just remember to take full cover behind the shield! Turtles learned that trick from halflings.
Best race: halflings.

Finlow

#14 Post by Finlow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 am

What to reach is actually quite funny sometimes...

When riding, I cannot knee anyone of course... But it's kinda funny that I can headbutt ermines while riding.

lanyara
Overlord

#15 Post by lanyara » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Headbutting ermines while riding is a bit odd. I guess the formula could take the size difference into account and compare this with the height of the target. But then again there are stories of halflings headbutting rats like crazy, so ... if you one day see a halfling flying through the sky with arms flapping wildly, you better believe it!

As for specials, I feel as if they are really in a way often the most important and decisive factor in combat (except for 'kick' and 'punch' which seem to be pretty useless compared to other specials).

Breaking a limb almost feels like a close to instant-win in combat especially when it can break legs and prevent flickups and thus fast escapes. Disarming can be also very useful (and I mean specials here that cause damage, bloodloos AND can disarm someone, not the actual 'disarm' special since that seems somewhat more limited to weapon type alone).
Instant knockouts are also nice, I'd be tempted to carry a rope with me and tie the helpless target up ... :P Oh, and against anyone who uses heavy armours and thus can not flickup, knockdowns are extremely great to have. Even without specials you can do those knockdowns, but that usually requires skill and character strength (and two handed weapons? I havent yet seen a single one-hand axe cause a fall down that way...)

And let's not forget a few other fancy effects, like instant kills with specials or simply when you are "stunned" and can't do much anymore as a result. I think leap attack can also instant kill with a cut throat.

Normal combat is a little bit more limited I think. Granted, you can do critical hits, instant kills, or cutting off limbs leading to heavy damage. Still I feel strength plays a big - or the biggest - factor in the formula for "normal combat" here (melee combat without damage).

I also agree that missile is very strong. Makes having shields all the more important!

isengoo
Champion

#16 Post by isengoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 pm

I seriously doubt polearms will ever become popular, which is strange because they were the weapon of choice for a long time.

lanyara
Overlord

#17 Post by lanyara » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Asral clerics fauchard?

Hmm the halberds of gnolls are quite nasty.

Crusaders probably prefer lance and rangers spear ... have polearms also attack enemy backrows would be sooo cool

isengoo
Champion

#18 Post by isengoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

As a former Asral Cleric I can testify that their fauchard sucks.

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Polearms only suck b/c of their lack of specials. The fauchard does not suck. Im pretyt sure if luminier had 100 polearm he could make it work. which i intend to do eventually.

Skragna
Champion

#20 Post by Skragna » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:21 pm

You intend to switch to Asrals? I foresee many, many deaths trying to bring you in to burn.