Skill Caps

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Minariel
Journeyman

Skill Caps

#1 Post by Minariel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm

I know that learning more skills makes it harder to learn new ones, and that sometimes it seems as if you run into learning blocks as you go...

My question is this: Is there a point at which it becomes completely impossible to learn a new skill/improve an old one?

Like when you reach X number of skills/skill levels you can't learn anymore?

I'm not really asking for a number, but I'm curious if there is eventually some sort of cap, or if the players that have been here forever just keep on learning new things and getting their known skills up to 90+, counting for skill decay.

Delia
Overlord

Re: Skill Caps

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 pm

You can practically keep on learning new things forever, but you will not become that good. Nor you probably could not max your primary skills either. It also depends on your race(stats) and what do you primarily wish to improve. Elves -> easy with mentals, Tshaharks -> easy with physicals to put it roughly.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 pm

In my experience your wisdom stat is based on how much you can learn. Because you can't appraise wisdom on someone it is really impossible to know what race has better wisdom that another, but I suspect that like any other stat it is made generally "worth less" or "worth more" (example, elven intelligence at ultimate is better than a human intelligence at ultimate).

Humans also seem to have the ability to learn things very quickly, but that doesn't mean they can learn -more- it's just learnt -faster-.

I don't know if Delia is correct in her assumption that tshaharks learn combat skills the easiest and elves learn mental skills easiest because as a human I have learned both faster than a tshahark and an elf.

But the one thing I do know, the higher your wisdom stat is, the more you can learn and the better you become. If you reach the "threshold" of your current wisdom stat you will stop learning and potentially even have more skill decay.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 am

There's no limit. It just becomes increasingly harder, and the rate at which it becomes harder depends on several factors. But theoretically (if given enough time) you could max everything, even though it is very unlikely to ever happen.

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Not to brag, but, lets give it as a reference. Luminier has about 27 skills at 100 and about 5-7 more at 85 or above.

I can play for roughly four to five hours and only train and receive maybe one or two improves (which basically is "like" ive hit a cap since I never play for that long anymore on Luminier). It is important that you learn what you want to learn and only that.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

lanyara
Overlord

#6 Post by lanyara » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 am

I guess there is a big difference between having parry at 100 or having cooking at 100 :) (Not that this skill exists, as far as I know, but I'd really like to see more non-combat skills in general or non-combat orientated skills put to better use.)

What I do think is a little bit problematic is that the skill system as such - as cool as it is - sometimes seems to artificially make a character type more interesting than another one? The example given by @Luminier would be a good one to consider - does having many high skills make a character less interesting to actually play, for whatever reason? (Skill cap or no improve anymore for example)

To me it seems as if this would mean that the skill system could perhaps interfere too much (?) with the actual roleplaying or playing of a character (if that would be true).
Best race: halflings.

matusalem
Master

#7 Post by matusalem » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 pm

You would have to have a lot of personal interest in your character to begin with in order to get that many maximized skill levels.