Tutorial

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Minariel
Journeyman

Tutorial

#1 Post by Minariel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

I know I've seen smatterings of talk about redoing/fixing/adding to the current tutorial, but is there anyone actually working on it at the moment?

Being a fairly new player myself, there are several things that I'd like to see in the tutorial (such as a warning not to spread yourself too thin), and I'd very much like to help. This MUD is probably the most thought-out one I've ever played, and I don't like seeing many of the new players leave because they don't know what to do or it seems to difficult. :cry:

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Tutorial

#2 Post by lanyara » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:57 pm

a warning not to spread yourself too thin
I am still not sure what you mean with that. :)
(But then again I don't think I ever went through the tutorial.)
Best race: halflings.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:55 am

I think it means learning too many skills from different skill sets.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Minariel
Journeyman

#4 Post by Minariel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:12 am

That's exactly what I mean. It's made it very difficult for her to improve any of her existing skills, and since none of them are exceedingly high as it is, that makes getting her to a point with combat that I'm happy with is much more difficult that it would have been if I'd have known some of the limitations that the code puts on you.

That being said, I do love the way the code works, I just would have liked to know a little more about it initially.

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:28 pm

You can always stop using skills in order to forget them. The smallest amount a skjill will degrade to is 10(20).
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:21 pm

It's made it very difficult for her to improve any of her existing skills
I've never heard of these limitations. my character, who has skills all over the place, has not reached that limitation and can fight very well for an elf.

Although it may take a long time to train up, there are benefits of a long term strategy. For example, the more creatures you take down, the more experience you get. This increases your stats. Furthermore, the more you increase a bunch of skills, the more you increase your stats. Sats can bring you to another level in fighting. So, from my personal experience I would just suggest keep working at it (and your skills will continue to rise), mostly fight difficult enemies, and when possible fight in a team setting. Also, things that dont hit hard but take alot of damage are good too, and in the meantime have fun training specials.

krelji
Hero

#7 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:37 pm

As far as I can tell there is a limit regarding how many skillpoints your char can have.
With my char I've been reaching said limit a few times before, but there are ways to
get around this limit. I've been told in the past that this limit only applies to skills
past a certain threshold, but I am not sure if the one telling me about it was correct.

The total amount of skills your char knows shouldn't matter, but certainly it makes it
harder to spend sufficient time with training skills.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.