Stat preferences

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Desiderea
Master

Stat preferences

#1 Post by Desiderea » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 am

Could someone explain how these work? I thought I knew, but now I'm kind of confused again... :? I thought it affected how much experience would go to each stat as you did quests and stuff. But... do some quests only increase a specific stat? Do stat preferences affect the distribution of exp you have already earned, or do they affect the distribution of new exp you gain?

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Stat preferences

#2 Post by lanyara » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 am

I thought that skills are more tied to stats than quests. Or in other words, it would make sense if something like sharpening would be more or less tied to dex, whereas quests would more readily aid in distribution according to the statprefs set.
Best race: halflings.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:04 am

Quest and exploration(and combat exp?) go as stat prefs dictate. Skill exp goes directly into specified stats. Combat skills = more or less physical stats and mental skills quite logically into mental stats.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

krelji
Hero

#4 Post by krelji » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:27 am

Xp's gained from a skill go into the related stats for said skill. I'm not sure if the
number of related stats is constant for all skills, but I'm rather certain that there
are at least 2 related stats for most of them.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Delia and Krelji are quite correct. Quest, exploration and combat experience are distributed according to your stat preferences. Skill experience, which is usually the largest chunk, is distributed according to what stat is associated with which skill.

That being said, the current way of setting, explaining and using "stat preferences" always bothered me and seems to be overly complicated for those who never used a similar system. I wonder if there's a more elegant way.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I think perhaps quest and explore and creature experience should be dealt with completely separately from skill experience. This is the case now, but it should be made explicitly clear that skill experience is different from the other three.

I think maybe quest/explore/monster experience should be called experience, and that skill experience should be called something else entirely. This might alleviate some confusion.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Desiderea
Master

#7 Post by Desiderea » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:42 am

I was mainly confused because I did one quest and earned enough experience to bring me from "far" to "halfway" for my rank, but only saw one stat increase from "far" to "halfway" while the others stayed where they were. Maybe cause I was, say 90% of the way towards having that stat move up, while the others weren't as close?

So, that just made me wonder whether quests only affect certain stats, and if that were the case, what did stat preferences do for you then? I had gathered that skills would only increase certain stats, like str for fighting skills, int and wis for intellectual ones, etc. And that makes sense. Maybe it's just difficult to see how you're progressing when you gain only a little experience at a time.

lanyara
Overlord

#8 Post by lanyara » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 am

Your char could try a larger quest and see how that has an impact. :)
Best race: halflings.

ganandorf
Overlord

#9 Post by ganandorf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Here's a question, do your learning preferences effect the type of skills you learn? Also do your learning preferences only matter for experience you get from quests, or do they effect experience you get from learning certain skills or both?
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

As far as I know, they don't.

Stat pref is linked to all experience except skill experience.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

krelji
Hero

#11 Post by krelji » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 am

Skill xp's are linked to their related stats as was stated above in this thread. All
other sources of xp's (quest, combat, and explore) use the settings from the stat
preferences.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.