Trickery

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

lanyara
Overlord

Trickery

#1 Post by lanyara » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Is a trickery skill 1/1 sufficient to use any of the commands listed in "skill trickery"?

None of the commands palm, slide, slip seem to work. (And by the way, "slide" seems to bring up the "slide weapon into container" thing...)
Best race: halflings.

Olrane
Champion

Re: Trickery

#2 Post by Olrane » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Short answer: no.

Long answer: You need a few more points in the skill before you can use any of the commands. But please, let's not talk about this skill. It's more fun for all new players to not even know it exists.

Desiderea
Master

#3 Post by Desiderea » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:17 am

Olrane wrote:Short answer: no.

Long answer: You need a few more points in the skill before you can use any of the commands. But please, let's not talk about this skill. It's more fun for all new players to not even know it exists.
Well, in the ooc area, there's a room for switching out your trickery skill for scout or somesuch... I just assumed it was a dead skill.

arxthas
Hero

#4 Post by arxthas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:57 am

Delete this post?

lanyara
Overlord

#5 Post by lanyara » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:26 pm

But please, let's not talk about this skill. It's more fun for all new players to not even know it exists.
Then remove the skill help file for it, it even mentions the commands:

skill trickery

SKILL: trickery SKILL: 0 KNOWLEDGE: 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This indicates the ability to perform hand tricks and make objects
disappear or appear from nowhere. It even allows you to plant objects
on another person without being noticed.

Commands: palm, slide, slip

But it is available for everyone to see... :D
Best race: halflings.

arxthas
Hero

#6 Post by arxthas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 am

Oh, I didn't know it was public information. I learned something new..

Olrane
Champion

#7 Post by Olrane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 am

It's only "public information", Lanyara, if you know the name of the skill. There are many skills that I don't know the name of, but which I know of or have a hunch about their existence. You could type in "legerdemain" and "sleight of hand" all day and get nothing, but that damned room in the OOC area tells people about the skill. The room could and should be removed, since it's now outdated.

The problem isn't that people really shouldn't know that it exists...it's just that I know from personal experience that people are more likely to be influenced by what they know are code limitations*. If they don't know something's possible within the code, they're less likely to be immediately suspicious of it.

*Good example of this is that one of the trickery commands was "peek", functionally equivalent to the new scout skill. I remember using peek without attempting to conceal it in front of good characters, who could then make the logical leap that I knew the other moves. It doesn't make sense ICly to assume that someone who can scout ahead is a master of legerdemain, but knowledge of code limitations messes with people.