sneaking stuff

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

sneaking stuff

#1 Post by Delmon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am

Could someone explain what the new sneaking descriptions mean?

Example:
You believe that the small stinking male goblin spots you from the corner of
his eye as you sneak in.

But no attack follows. I have good sneak so I am not sure what I am suppose to make of these "thoughts."

Thanks

Rudolpho
Professional

Re: sneaking stuff

#2 Post by Rudolpho » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Honestly... I've NO idea about these. I've two characters with 100 Hide/Sneak/Awareness and get messages that say I was seen, when I wasn't and no messages at all when everyone sees me. I've actually started ignoring them.

Delmon
Champion

#3 Post by Delmon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 pm

I feel like it should show us whether or not they actually see us at such high levels. Maybe its bugged. If any wizard needs help testing or working with this I'd be happy to help how I can.

Eluriel
Master

#4 Post by Eluriel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Yes, I've noticed that it doesn't really show whether someone actually sees you or not. Is it based on some other skill? Int level? It seems like those with high levels of sneak/awareness should at least get a pretty good read on whether someone actually sees you or not. Otherwise it's a pretty useless message. :?

Zehren
Overlord

#5 Post by Zehren » Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 am

PARANOIA
But yes, if your sneaking and hiding is so high, those evaluations should likely be more correct... O.o
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Saki
Beginner

#6 Post by Saki » Sun May 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Although Glasp can probably elaborate on this, as it was his baby.

Consider them somewhat like appraisals. In your pasted message, you 'believe' does not mean that you 'know'. For example, 'guessing wildly' if someone sees you or not would tell you that you're probably not completely accurate with your estimation.

Also, there are occasions when you might see someone sneaking, but you don't see them hiding, etc.

Delmon
Champion

#7 Post by Delmon » Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks Saki, but I am still confused. Also, is it really possible to catch someone sneaking in but not catch them hiding? Is this new? if so, really cool.

Hey Glasp, could you elaborate on all the variables that go into the sneaking/hiding messages?

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 am

a little more on this. After some of the funniest fail sneaking attempts I have had playing Delmon I realized that you can get the strange messages after emoting and sneaking.

It seemed almost backwards. I got messages saying that I thought the one who didnt see me did see me and no messages about the one who ALWAYS did.
:D

glasp
Professional

#9 Post by glasp » Sun May 08, 2011 4:14 am

I think there's an old thread that explains most of how this works. The stuff which is in the help files, news items or already on the forum is the variable explanation you get.. :-)