check

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ghalt
Master

check

#1 Post by ghalt » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 am

What exactly does check do? Am I like, giving someone a very appraising eye, or is it more like a full-body pat down?

One seems far more ruder than the other, is why I'm asking. :)

matusalem
Master

Re: check

#2 Post by matusalem » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 am

When you "check" you are quite obviously lewdly gawking, bleary eyed and slack jawed, at your target. At least, that's my interpretation.
You hear a voice speaking in your mind, telling you "So-and-so is a traitor and
an enemy of the Crusade. The punishment for this crime is death. Go and
execute our will!"

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 am

Given the details you can receive it almost feel as if 'checking' is a physical command. Better definition for it would not hurt :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

matusalem wrote:When you "check" you are quite obviously lewdly gawking, bleary eyed and slack jawed, at your target. At least, that's my interpretation.
I imagine it in a public situation being about a metre from your target huskily breathing and making grabby motions at the targets chest area.

Oh and if your hidden, it's just doing the same thing but from a hidden spot.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:16 am

It's an appraising stare so long and uncomfortable that you can't possibly fail to notice it if the person is already visible. As far as I understand, no physical contact is involved.

Check only determines what in a character's inventory, which can generally be interpreted as the items that he or she is loosely holding. This would include objects in hand, slung over the shoulder, hanging out of pockets, or strewn about on the ground around the character. Because of roleplay implications, I suggest that people consider their inventory in this same way...if it's more than a handful of coins, for example, why are you walking around with it in your external inventory? How are you managing to juggle all of these items, can you visualize it?

Check can't determine the contents of a container, which makes sense and is a deterrent against prying eyes. It's also roleplay conscious to have bags and pockets.

Use them pockets!

Orodreth
Journeyman

#6 Post by Orodreth » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I take care of the problem with coins and such by carrying a leather bag everywhere. Backpacks are too heavy and restrict RP from a thief character.

glorfindel
Hero

#7 Post by glorfindel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:31 am

Hi,

Well, I do think that backpacks / bags should be used more in general. As for general use, I do think having many items in your inventory is just messy and lacking overview, so most people tend to use a bag/backpack for that. backpacks in general are what one should see most adventurer being using. Those bags are used often as well, but I do think they are only for minor things (scribe writing stuff, coins, maybe a knife). As for restricting thief RP, I do think a thief will have no problem whether you're carring a bag or not. A skilled thief will probably steal food from your mouth and you won't notice it ;-) (just joking, of course).

I do think we should see more use of pockets / bags / backpacks, but most people use them.

As for the OP's question, I do think 'check' is without contact but extremely evasive. It's like somebody's walking around you and looking you up and down extensively. The message 'Foo examines you intensely' suggests that in my eyes. You're being looked as if you could have hidden something (maybe think the stare airport security would give you looking if you have something to hide). Physical contact would mean it'd be extremely difficult while hidden, so I think that's unlikely.

poGlorfindel

Vuur

#8 Post by Vuur » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 am

I'm not sure if anything has changed since I last tested check with another, but I think a couple of months ago, you can check another without being noticed. I think that this happens if they have a lower awareness than you, and perhaps something to do with the pickpocketing or appraising skill?

And at that time, I could see everything in your backpack, pockets etc. I think this is due to certain objects making an impression on the container, like if I have a key in my pocket, there will be a key-shaped lump.

As I said, this is a few months ago. So i thought that the person would be looking carefully at the other person, noticing what the person might be carrying, no touching involved.

matusalem
Master

#9 Post by matusalem » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 pm

The seeing what's inside a container was short-lived. I'll not say more; not sure if I'm allowed to say that.
You hear a voice speaking in your mind, telling you "So-and-so is a traitor and
an enemy of the Crusade. The punishment for this crime is death. Go and
execute our will!"

Zehren
Overlord

#10 Post by Zehren » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:56 am

easy.
add an emote to your checks to state what you do.
emote gropes the treant.
check treant
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!